Which Walker as proxy for leman russ

Level9red

My army has always been a mix of catachans, which I’ve owned for year and some proxy Elysians. I’ve been working on the Elysians, but want to work again on the jungle fighters. So far I’ve shied away from heavy vehicles but wondered if there was a way to include them as walkers.

So, how would you represent a leman russ as a walker?

Current thinking is that the Repulsor dreadnought looks beefy enough to be a leman russ, it has a Gatling canon and plasma canon option, it looks like the repeating battle canon from the knight kit might fit it as well.

This would then leave a smaller/lighter dreadnought like the contemptor or the invictor warsuit for the hellhound and devil dog.

And possibly the standard size dreadnought for the armoured sentinel, as most of mine are build as Scout ones.

Do people think this could work? Would the sizes seem ok? Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

I would say, if you are in love with these models you could just take an allied Space marine detachment without having to worry about chopping them up :)

However, with appropriate conversions this could work really well...This probably wouldn't just be a matter of an arm swap and a camo paintjob.  I have been tempted to make a LR tank commander out of an Dune Crawler for a while now.

Dreds are longest on the vertical axis rather than the horizontal like guard tanks...so be prepared for your models being a bit more visible over scenery than standard tanks.  You will probably get away with minor size inconsistencies because your models will be easier to see and shoot at (rather than harder).

Thank you for the thoughts, yes I figured they would be taller but with a slightly smaller footprint.

Part of what appeals with the contemptor and venerable dreads and the invictor is that I can put in a catachan head and/or body to show they are normal humans, well as normal as catachans get!

What other things would be good to change? Maybe commas gear on them? More human basic equipment?

A dunecrawler had crossed my mind, the central bit looks similar to a sentinel, but wasn’t sure about whether it looked armoured enough.

If you want a proxy Russ walker, I'd strongly suggest looking at other miniature ranges. This does two things... 1 - it broadens your range. 2 - it doesn't muddy the waters with recognisable models , representing different things.

For example, there are more than a few possibilities in this range that would work perfectly for a Leman Russ, without being confused with something else:

https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/konflikt-47/walker

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, there is quite a variety of walkers there. I’d only really seen the crab like ones which I wasn’t sure about. Fair point about not causing confusion with the space marine models. I’ll see if I can find some size comparisons.

• 2 weeks later...

Paolo Parente's Dust has good choices. The K-AL807 Devastator's phaser should let it count as a Leman Russ Executioner- and if you're willing to put in the necessary effort to kitbash the model, a Demolisher or Punisher. With two machine gun stations, you even have room for what count as sponson-mounted weapons.

http://www.dustgame.com/ufiles/K-AL807-W2.jpg

If you also want a walker that counts as a Chimera, the K-AX802 Stummel should be perfect for that task.

http://www.dustgame.com/ufiles/K-AX802-W3.jpg

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker