a new crusade forms

Dusktiger

so, way back when, near the end of 4th edition before the 5th edition book was released, i wanted to play BT but a buddy talked me out of it cause "they'll get a new codex soon!"

we all know how that turned out.

so i'm planning to make a crusade force to play with, mainly for the modeling purposes, and for fun games where i play to the theme of the chapter.

sadly, i have no idea what i'm doing with these guys.

my overall goal is to build up a force of around ~2000-2500 that'll be a BT force with (eventually) some sisters of batle auxillia attached.

so far my plan is:

• a pair of crusader squads, 15 men each. Sword brother with sword and combi-flamer, initiate with flamer, initiate with power sword, 5 initiates with chainswords, 7 neophytes with knifes.
  • repurposing a land raider crusader from another chapter that hasnt left its storage case since 6th edition and making it a BT vehicle.
  • a chaplain using the caped guy from the HH big box set.
  • an emperor's champion

and thats about as far as i've gotten.  i think i might like to make some sword brethren and a squad of melee terminators (using the space marine heroes series 2 minis)

can anyone give me some advice on things i should add, please? i'm really stuck here on what to add into the collection.

Wekcome to the Eternal Crusade, brother!

I'd consider either Grimaldus and Helbrecht as additional HQ options.

Army needs a bit of hard hitting power. A dreadnought can (help) fit the bill. There's quite a lot of flavors out there right now, so for a "mainly for modelling purposes" force I'd just get the variety that appeals to you most. Vindicators have long been a staple for templar heavy support, but we have a lot more options these days if that doesn't strike your fancy.

Then perhaps a fast attack option? Typically this has been assault squads or speeders. Again these days there are a few more options

Lastly perhaps more transports? BT are usually setup as a mechanized force, and it sounds like you might aim for at least 4 foot slogging squads eventually.

We're actually probably one of the few armies that can do drop pods extremely well right now due to all the bonuses we can get for charging.  I'd also recommend Helbrecht and Grimaldus as they are both really powerful HQ  choices for us.  More chaplains are never a bad thing and I think a lot of people will end up running 2 more often than not. You can even run a Venerable chaplain dreadnought which is an awesome unit!

I would also consider more crusader squads, running some MSU of them could be beneficial to put in drop pods. Also depending on how you feel about primaris Incursors are an excellent choice to fill out battalions and can get a pretty reliable first turn charge. 

Vindicators fluff and model wise are great, but unfortunately they are terrible rules wise right now. D6 shots is just awful.  

If you want to play a bit harder (competitive) then there is no way out to a Chaplain on Jump Pack with Upgrade as Master of Sanctinity. Although Grimaldus is very strong - he might be THE unit so far (Canticle of hate and reroll all hits in melee + BT relic and WL-Trait gives you a 98% rate to pass your lithanies). A secound Chaplain you can take 5+++.

If you just play for fun - you will have it with the new Supplement 

Grimmy can have two DTW rolls with +1 and has a free Litany running at all times. I think him and a standard MoS are fairly evenly matched, they do different things well.

If focus is on Litanies - MoS with Breviery. If on bonuses, then Grimmy.

Grimmy can have two DTW rolls with +1 and has a free Litany running at all times. I think him and a standard MoS are fairly evenly matched, they do different things well.

Honestly the only major disadvantage that Grimmy has is that he has to footslog or be in a transport. A generic chaplain can have a JP, bike or even be in TDA and DS

Honestly the only major disadvantage that Grimmy has is that he has to footslog or be in a transport. A generic chaplain can have a JP, bike or even be in TDA and DS

thats not correct. A Chaplain with Jump Pack have the FLY keyword and access to our relics what makes them even better (Ancient Breviary is a bomb and crusader helmet is very good too)

thats not correct. A Chaplain with Jump Pack have the FLY keyword and access to our relics what makes them even better (Ancient Breviary is a bomb and crusader helmet is very good too)

I mentioned jump packs ;)  I mean yeah, not having relic access is a disadvantage but I think one that is made up for by the fact that he can dispel witch powers and has what is essentially a litany that is always on, in addition to casting 2 other litanies. 

i have been eyeing up some incursors, and debating if they should join my BT or my CF as the latter is nearly pure primaris.

i could repurpose up to 3 drop pods, one's even modeled more armoured up to count as a lucius.  so drop podding some msu squads in is doable.

if i did do some msu crusader squads, whats the general template of model count and weapon loadouts?

i also have a counts-as helbrect i made from a gravis captain from Know No Fear.  and since i would have a little trouble getting the actual grimaldus mini locally, i could fiddle with my HH chaplain and make him a counts-as.  that way all the caped guys are named characters in my army.

is a normal chaplain, or a primaris chaplain better?  i havent really looked at the new BT supplement stuff yet so i'm not in the know about whats all in there.

For msu crusader squads I'd run the ccw and power weapons, probably PF and TH or double PF. If they are going to be near Helbrecht the they should do well.

For chaplains, unless you plan to leave him in the backfield for some reason normal chaplains are almost always going to be better than the primaris one. They can take JP, bikes or ride in a drop pod, none of which the primaris can do. We are going to want our chaplains buffing our CC units and they will need a way to reliably be there.

so squads of 5 with 3 chainswords, and either a PF and TH, or two PF models.

If you want to run multiples to fill out battalions and put them in something like drop pods yeah that's how I'd run them. You want to get them re-rolls to hit for those PF though since they only will have 2 attacks on the charge.  Running smaller units will let you maximize your number of weapons. 

If you want to put them in something like a LRC, I'd take 15 guys and a character. You could also take large blobs to try and maximize board presence but if you do this you absolutely want the Litany of Divine Protection on them at all times so they aren't shot off the board so quickly. 

Honestly, with the current point costs if you’re running MSU melee crusader squads it might be better to run assault marines. Although I suppose if you do that you can only bring eviscerators on the regular marines.

They also don't fill battalions

either one works, really.  the main thing is having an idea of what to build out of the bits i currently have, and what to work towards.

been doing some tinkering on some models, and so far made these guys:

78646698_10157502121596224_1705056833456

78767590_10157502121766224_3892477329347

78082985_10157501936341224_1451413983557

78271815_10157501936406224_4651166629122

79088791_10157501936516224_1542028756892

77240928_10157501936596224_7167756132998

the guys with the greenstuff chainmail will be neophytes in...let's call it Mk IX Crusadis armour.