Assault squads and BT

thecapn226

It's decent brigade-filler, sure. Fast-Attack feels a tad lackluster in general, though. 

I would consider going battalion-battalion-vanguard, though. Have to pay the tax of two additional characters (not that bad even) and lose 1 CP in comparison to Brigade, but can just ignore lackluster units wholesale. 

Thats my main problem with that unit. They are not bad but melee units are so much better if they are played in a bigger squad and with power fist. But then the unit is not that cheap. And Trikes are still better Brigade filler if you need fire support. In addition there are Vanguard Veterans who are so much better... but maybe they are worth it if you play 3x10 Vanguards + 3x10 Assault Squads.

I played some assault marines yesterday. They are worth taking now IMO. For the following reasons:

1) Fast Attack slot, important for filling a Brigade

2) Give them the Crusader Helm buff on turn 1, and they actually deal some damage instead of bouncing off guardsmen plate. 

3) Can buff them even more with Grimaldus turn 1, for +1 attack. 

4) Great use of stratagems for advancing and charging, 6'' consolidate, and holding units in combat. 

Vanguard of course hit harder and have better gear, but I'm already taking lots of elite slot units for other things and this way I can kind of have my cake and eat it too. Try them out guys, give them the Crusader Helm and +1 attack with a Chaplain and send them on their way! Just make sure you pick the correct target, don't send them into a Hive Tyrant and expect them to fell the beast by themselves. They're an aggressive unit meant to apply pressure on your opponents screens and weak objective holder type units, and in my opinion can pull double duty as a disruption unit with the stratagem to hold units in combat. 

Edited by SydonianDragoon404