Chaplains and Chapter Structure

Berzul

Hey everyone.

Quick question, because I cannot find the answer elsewhere.

As I understand it, regular chapters that follow the classic structure, have one chaplain assigned to them. So, there is one company chaplain in each company.

I believe that our chapter follows thia tradition as well. With each company having one chaplain.

So, where do the ICs fit in? Do they operate as a separate thing like the librarians? Are they asigned to specific companies? How does this work?

Im trying to progress in my project of building a full company of my codex-compliant successors, and I do not know where an IC equivalent would fit.

Hey everyone.

As I understand it, regular chapters that follow the classic structure, have one chaplain assigned to them. So, there is one company chaplain in each company.

I believe that our chapter follows thia tradition as well. With each company having one chaplain.

So, where do the ICs fit in? Do they operate as a separate thing like the librarians? Are they asigned to specific companies? How does this work?

Im trying to progress in my project of building a full company of my codex-compliant successors, and I do not know where an IC equivalent would fit.

I was under the impression that Interrogator-Chaplains replaced Chaplains for DA entirely.

Hey everyone.

I was under the impression that Interrogator-Chaplains replaced Chaplains for DA entirely.

No, Dark Angels have both Chaplains and  Interrogator-Chaplains. The latter are more 'veteran' Chaplains.

So, I'm going to assume in a more "Codex Compliant" chapter, Interrogator-Chaplains won't be normally 'assigned' to a company like the other ones are.

So, I'd say the Interrogator-Chaplains in Codex Compliant DA successors are probably like Librarians, and that they just go where they please/are needed, yes.

I think in the chapter organisation graphic in the codex they're part of the Reclusiam much like libbys are part of the Librarius, it's just we have another level to codex chapters that's not assigned to a company.  I could be completely wrong though, no codex with me at work.

I would have to re-check the latest codex, but no - there are still non-Interrogator Chaplains within the Unforgiven that are aligned to each of the Battle and Reserve companies (Deathwing and Ravenwing are exempt), but these Chaplains are not part of the Deathwing / Inner Circle themselves and are not aware of the Fallen. They are simply there to maintain the Company's wellbeing, in the same way as other Chapters outside of the Unforgiven.

Those that are aware of the Fallen, of which the Interrogators are included, should remain outside of the traditional company structure in the same way as the Librarius. They can be assigned to engagements or Companies as and when required (e.g. should a particular engagement have a high chance of encountering the Fallen), and will work with the corresponding engagement leaders (who should also be part of the Deathwing / Inner Circle).

This may have changed as of the latest codex, but this is how it has traditionally been over a number of editions now.

I think m_r_parker got it right. Each Company has a Chaplain, the RW has a RW Chaplain (I assume he'd be also a member of the Deathwing) and the Interrogator Chaplains all belong to the Deathwing. However Int. Chaplains are deployed as need dictates - not always with the rest of the Deathwing.

Back in the old days there were two or three ranks (I forget the ranks) of Chaplains where you could pay the points to upgrade your base chaplain and you would get better stats. This was for all space marine chapters until the phased them out in 6th edition I think. Every company had the one of the lowest rank of Chaplain assigned to it and the rest of them were in the Reclusiam.

I'm not sure if these other ranks of Chaplain still exist apart from the Master of Sanctity being the head of the Reclusiam but I do know that each chapter has more than 10 Chaplains so the rest would be in the reclusiam until the Master of Sanctity assigns them to specific strike forces etc.

The Dark Angels just have an extra rank of Chaplain but the Master of Sanctity which is Sapphon would assign the Chaplains as he sees fit.

To tack on another bit of the difference: company Chaplains are more codex traditional in their actions and purpose. They're the battlefield orators and the keepers of chapter rites. The Interrogator-Chaplains, however, are "Menacing figures of fear... unsettle their own battle-brothers with their silent scrutiny." They're more like the old Legion Overseers whose role was incorporated into the codex chaplain.