New to 40k and seeking advice

Deathbyfoodtray

First off I apologise if this is in the wrong place but I am new to 40k and picked up the chaos half of the shadowspear box about a month ago. I'm running them as black legion and looking to expand out to a full 2k point army over time but currently I have:

5x havocs(new box)

1x sorcerer

1x abbadon the despoiler

10x chaos space marines

1x master of possession

2x obliterators

2x greater possessed

1x venom crawler

I've thought about adding 5x terminators and 10x possessed as my next upgrade and doing a deathball around abbadon but have also been considering getting the start collecting CSM box with the hellbrute. Any advice or suggestions would be a great help, I do want to do some local tournaments eventually but mostly just want to have fun and get familiar with the game.

Welcome to 40K and to Chaos!  Feel free to ask questions and to post your work - folks here are eager to help and see your minis.

From my experience, your next purchases should be based on your experience.  For example, while I love hellbrutes I find they all die turn one (except for the 2x lascannon + missile launcher I keep in the back).  So, whether a hellbrute is a good addition to your force depends on who you normally face and what holes in your army you are trying to fill.  Things to keep in mind if you do want to get the Start Collecting box:

1)  The one with the hellbrute has the old CSMs, not the new ones.  The old marines are somewhat more pose-able but are less detailed - as well, and the options contained in the kit are different (old one has heavy bolter and various standards, while the new one has a missile launcher and autocannon (I think) and no standards).  Note, the newer Start Collecting box (the one with the Venom crawler) also doesn't have the CSM from the new CSM box - its marines are from the Shadowspear box, which are monopose and have fewer options (but you should be familiar with those models, as it looks like you already have a set).

2)  The hellbrute kit is very nice, but you get the best mileage out of it if you magnetize the options.  If this is something you are interested in doing, I can share the link to the guide I used in magnetizing mine.

In terms of what next, if you intend to mostly be a casual gamer, best to buy what you are most interested in playing and painting.  That said, buying another unit of CSM (through either Start Collecting box or the new CSM box) is a good place to start - having a core of 3 troop choices for a battalion is great for almost any army list, as it gives you a lot more Command Points to use on stratagems than other options. 

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Awesome! Thank you so much for the advice, I really like the look of the hellbrute and was definitely leaning towards the old start collecting box to get one and more marines but just wasn't sure if it would be something worth doing or a waste if money. From what you said it sounds like to would be a good next step so if the local shop still has a box(they have had one for a while) then I'll definitely be picking it up. I'll post another thread with the pictures if my army once I finish shading my venom crawler and master of possession. Won't be able to build /paint abbadon till after Christmas as it's a gift from my wife lol

The old chaos marine sculpts in that box are pretty horrific when stood next to the new sculpts, it isn’t just the size difference but also the fact that there are mold lines with better definition than the detail on the models and a slew of other issues with the ancient sculpt

Personally, I like the old Icons and champion heads in the old kit. The rest of it is meh.

The old Dark Vengeance models will be "made to order" for a week starting on Christmas. I doubt you will be able to get the Chaos half without the Dark Angel's half, but you might be able to sell the other half or use it for bits. You'll get two units of cultists (including unique sculpts), a Helbrute (multi-melta and fist I believe), a unique Lord, and six chosen (five unique sculpts) which are comparable size to the new line if you use 32mm bases. Draznicht (the powermaul Chosen) makes for a decent Dark Apostle. The bolter Chosen I use as normal marines to flesh out my units. The others can be ran as Exalted Champions, Aspiring Champions, or even be converted into other things. I think I've seen the lightning claw chosen with possessed wings as a Jump Lord or Raptor Champion.

Edited by Doom Herald

Personally, I like the old Icons and champion heads in the old kit. The rest of it is meh.

The old Dark Vengeance models will be "made to order" for a week starting on Christmas. I doubt you will be able to get the Chaos half without the Dark Angel's half, but you might be able to sell the other half or use it for bits. You'll get two units of cultists (including unique sculpts), a Helbrute (multi-melta and fist I believe), a unique Lord, and six chosen (five unique sculpts) which are comparable size to the new line if you use 32mm bases. Draznicht (the powermaul Chosen) makes for a decent Dark Apostle. The bolter Chosen I use as normal marines to flesh out my units. The others can be ran as Exalted Champions, Aspiring Champions, or even be converted into other things. I think I've seen the lightning claw chosen with possessed wings as a Jump Lord or Raptor Champion.

Oh? Nice. The bolter chosen guy makes a good havoc champ. 

Love these threads where someone just got a bunch of models and wants to get started.

The Dark Vengeance kit gives you infantry, a walker, and multiple HQs. Abaddon gives you reroll and morale bubbles. The Havocs give you heavy weapons.

Wanted to suggest a few possible paths forward.

1) Load up on walkers. 3 Venomcrawlers are actually not bad on the table. I've seen them going on eBay relatively cheap.

2) Load up on Autocannons. Not as reliable as Lascannons, but longer range than Chaincannons. Range is your friend when you have rerolls on all hits.

3) Get a Dark Apostle. Combined with the powers of the Master of Possession, you have some interesting options for how to buff your units.

4) Get more CSM. If you are going CSM anyways, it might be a good idea to bulk out your forces.

5) Get Cult Troops. One of the things about Dark Vengeance is you get a Battalion that is good at mid-range combat. Complimenting it with other kinds of threats - pure melee, tons of shots - makes them multi-dimensional.

6) More Havocs - I think Havocs outclass Predators at this point, which were competing for Heavy Support spots. Not a bad idea to bring 3 squads.