Primarus Guard

Oxumus Prime

I wouldn't mind a slight re-organisation for the guard, like Infantry squads having different weapon options. I don't think Las cannons, auto cannons, mortars should be in a guard squad, humans carrying something like a Las cannon isn't practical. Maybe the option for heavy stubbers or a less powerful hot shot volley gun. And with the heavy weapon squads have the option to field 2 or three squads as one heavy slot like leman russes.

I don't think we can expect anything like that. Guard are humans so there's nothing in-universe to suddenly spruce them up and certainly not every Guardsman! Outside of the universe Guard aren't one of the most popular armies so there's less for GW to gain in doing so. That aside the infantry kits are getting long in the tooth so they could easily just revamp them and add a few more regiments and that would make all the Guard players happy enough - no need for anything fancy ;)

I wouldn't mind a slight re-organisation for the guard, like Infantry squads having different weapon options. I don't think Las cannons, auto cannons, mortars should be in a guard squad, humans carrying something like a Las cannon isn't practical. 

Errrrr WHY? 

What's the alternative to a squad with a big gun in it? A tank?

You can't put a tank on a second floor of a building. Hiding a tank is much more difficult than a pair of guys with a big gun.  You don't need fuel and repairshops if a gun can be transported by two pairs of legs. Humans are much easier to produce than a tank. There are plenty of humans at your disposal so you just pick another two to replace losses. Infantry is much more mobile and doesn't realy need a clear road to relocate. Infantry squad with the big gun in it provieds fire support, threatens big targets and has much more potential in self-defending and h-t-h fight than a vehicle.

So why is that inpractical?

Edited by Shamansky

I wouldn't mind a slight re-organisation for the guard, like Infantry squads having different weapon options. I don't think Las cannons, auto cannons, mortars should be in a guard squad, humans carrying something like a Las cannon isn't practical. Maybe the option for heavy stubbers or a less powerful hot shot volley gun. And with the heavy weapon squads have the option to field 2 or three squads as one heavy slot like leman russes.

You're aware that infantry units do use heavy weapons on tripods and bipods in real life right? Why would these weapons be overly impractical on an infantry unit in a game?

The current heavy weapons are impractical because they're massive, imagine trying to hike with a Las cannon and bergan full of kit. Them sort of weapons have always been in dedicated fire support platoons. Guard squads for practicality should have a Infantry support weapon (gpmg, lmg equivalent) and a special weapon.

The current heavy weapons are impractical because they're massive, imagine trying to hike with a Las cannon and bergan full of kit. Them sort of weapons have always been in dedicated fire support platoons. Guard squads for practicality should have a Infantry support weapon (gpmg, lmg equivalent) and a special weapon.

My heavy weapons are on tracked units that drive themselves... so they work fine ;) .

This topic isn't a discussion on how practical or realistic IG heavy weapon teams are

However, if there is a desire to discuss this topic further feel free to start it's own thread.

As to the OP I doubt it is likely or if it is it would be a new army or restricted to elite units with a specific role in mind

The strength of the guard is relative cost and speed that regiments can be raised

Adding augmentation into the mix would slow it down significantly.