A Tale of Lighters and Rawl Plugs

Captain Mike

After an extended leave of absence, I'm back modelling again.

The story so far is that I have a lot of unpainted and unmade plastic around. Unfortunately over the years I've collected a rather motley assortment of pieces.

And so my chapter, the Fire Badgers, were written explicitly from the beginning as a "scavenger" chapter. That way the rather bizarre mix of pieces wouldn't look amiss. And so far, it's worked for my purposes.

The problem is most of what I have is infantry models. Apart from a couple of Razorbacks and a Land Raider, I lack for vehicles. This includes bikes, dreadnoughts, flyers and transports.

But I also don't have the funds to just buy more. I'm saving for a wedding and let me tell you ladies, enbies and gentlemen, that is one hell of a drain on the ol' finances. So I had to think of other ways to "bulk out" my army.

Cue me roaming around the city centre with 20 bob picking up random bits of fixings, packets of lighters, card decorations and hot glue. I didn't really have much of a plan, I just wanted to start small and build up.

The first project was the jetbike. In game terms it will just be a bike, but I figured a jet bike would be easier to build than a wheeled one.

UoHQaUq.jpg

That went quite well, I thought. So I set about making a few more. The plan is to eventually have about 20.

nU0WmMQ.jpg

Unfortunately, biker Wolf Guard are no longer a thing. So to keep up with the bikers, I figured they'd need some counts-as Thunderwolves. This led to what I think was somewhat of a failed project, so I abandoned it. I will come back to it, but enjoy the derpy hilarity that was my first attempt.

fdRrwrv.jpg

In the meantime, I'd drunk enough sarsaparilla and Pepsi to get some lids together and start work on a dreadnought. The result was a little too big, but someone recommended I upgrade it to be a Leviathan. So I dug through my screw box and found some euro screws I'd salvaged from an atrociously bad bit of furniture, and got to work with some hot glue this morning.

O2ER7Z5.jpg

One rust spray later, and it's roughed up a bit

SXgbgBa.jpg

And that's where we are so far! I'm building up, both in terms of size of model and in my collection of random DIY bits. I hope to eventually reach some flyers and transports, but for now these lads need some attention.

(Note: I'm on my phone so I can't actually tell if the Imgur links have worked. If the links have all gone funny I'll correct it when I'm next on my laptop)

This is truly inspired.

It makes me all misty for the heady, nostalgic days of bolted together plastic bottles (and my own scratch built drop pods from blister packs, before there were any models for them) when Rogue Trader had a hover-tank in WD built by someone in the studio and painters wrote 'Kil-Kil-Kil' and other graffiti on their models.

Those bikes! That Dread!  :thumbsup:

MR.

This is truly inspired.

It makes me all misty for the heady, nostalgic days of bolted together plastic bottles (and my own scratch built drop pods from blister packs, before there were any models for them) when Rogue Trader had a hover-tank in WD built by someone in the studio and painters wrote 'Kil-Kil-Kil' and other graffiti on their models.

Those bikes! That Dread! :thumbsup:

MR.

I'm too young to remember those good old days (I think the deodorant land speeder is actually older than me...) but I do love scouring the old stuff for inspiration. Part of me wanted to bring back that mad, DIY creativity in this project.

Those lighter-based jetbikes are just brilliant! I think they would actually work best in a Necromunda-style underhive scenario -- just thinking about it gives me all kinds of ideas for a grimdark racing arena...

Like a slightly more violent star wars pod racing scene!

Those lighter-based jetbikes are just brilliant! I think they would actually work best in a Necromunda-style underhive scenario -- just thinking about it gives me all kinds of ideas for a grimdark racing arena...

Like a slightly more violent star wars pod racing scene!

*embeds a chainsaw into a screaming racer*

"Now THIS is pod racing."

I did have a slightly dieselpunk/ industrial look in mind, so I think they would work for necromunda too! We nicknamed the look "dieseldark".

This New Year's I had stayed in to look after the cat, who was a bit spooked by the fireworks. The good news was my suddenly free evening at home meant I could crack on with the second attempt at a dreadnought, one which hopefully didn't suffer the same scaling problems.

It still needs some detailing, but I'd say we're well on our way.

ZzITp5a.jpg

WIrA134.jpg

And finally a comparison shot next to Captain Tiech in slightly cut down Contemptor armour, and De Hopsy Flopsy the Leviathan

40Oz6SG.jpg

Happy New Years everyone!

Alright so the mechanical horse was a dud. And I think I know why; I was trying to build a horse. A graceful, elegant creature. Out of lighters and DIY supplies. Not gonna happen.

Also not really the aesthetic my dudes and dudettes are after. They're the Fire Badgers! The kind of Space Marines to repurpose mining machines and industrial vehicles, not make robot horses!

Coinciding with that I actually saw a badger locally (yes it made me very happy) and got to watch it run. It is... Ungainly. They are wonderful creatures but they have all the grace of a space hopper. Perfect for my style and materials then!

With that in mind I set about building a stouter, more industrial looking machine. I think, *think*, it's worked better.

It's a bit big, as might be expected from the materials I'm using. I think an actual Thunderwolf would be as long, but much less bulky. I don't own one so I can't tell.

For reference, this model is on a 60mm base. I think Thunderwolves come on 60mm bases too?

dfMHy1C.jpg

NAVFIv4.jpg

ZwFWoI4.jpg

RyRKCIw.jpg

Figure you'd probably want an engine near the back of a walking mining machine. The scoops underneath are to dispose of soil. I did put a scoop underneath as well but it didn't look right.

More detailing (and a rider) needed but I'm off to a much better start than the horse was.