OakRiver's Misc. Hobby Log

OakRiver

Rather than start posting various projects in my Crimson Thorns thread, I thought it best to start a separate thread for my more general hobby stuff. I know it has been a while since I posted any updates to my 30K Blood Angels, thanks to working full time and working on my graduate degree, but I intend to keep working on my figures, as time allows.

When I was home over Christmas I was able to find some of my older stuff, some of it from when I started the hobby, some of it when I stopped for a while, and some unopened stuff. Airline weight limits, luggage capacity, and my wife's good graces all considered, I brought home a small number that I want to work on rehabbing.

Everything I brought back:

iUJI0q.jpg

iUJjfD.jpg

Aenur, Sword of Twilight from 'Mordheim', limited WD release; 2nd Edition Death Guard; Alarielle the Everqueen (initially bought to be converted into a vampire using the dragon top of a Bight Wizard staff, and the hand holding a heart from the old metal Hag Queen); Rogue Trader Librarian

iUJZBA.jpg

2nd Edition Farseer; Rogue Trader Librarian; 3rd Edition female Incubus; 3rd Edition Dark Eldar Archon 

iUJgYM.jpg

3rd Edition Blood Angels Honor Guard Techmarine torso; 2nd Edition Primaris psyker; Rogue Trader Chaplain; 2nd Edition Vindicare Assassin

iUJt2Q.jpg

Rogue Trader Blood Angels Captain, who became the basis for Tycho (with the remains of where a power sword was glued to his right hip); Rogue Trader Techmarine; Rogue Trader Apothecary

iUJ1Ca.jpg

Unopened metal Dark Angel's Supreme Grand Master Azrael; unopened metal Dark Angel's Company Master

I did find the older Dark Angel's Company Master that the unopened mini was based on, but I did not bring him over. It would be nice to get them both painted up, and compare and contrast them. I will be paint stripping most of these minis to get them painted to a better standard, for the Captain mini I'm strongly considering pushing my limits and painting him in a non-metallic metal scheme, similar to his original paint scheme in White Dwarf. The Vindicare and Dark Eldar are some of the last minis I painted, and their quality isn't terrible, definitely tabletop standard, so I'm contemplating whether I paint strip them too, or just try to add more to their existing color schemes.

For the rest of the Rogue Trader era minis I want to try to paint them in period correct schemes, including the half color scheme of the Librarians. Whether or not I flock the bases and paint them Goblin Green remains to be seen.

The Honor Guard Techmarine will likely join the IX Legion as a Techmarine. I had originally tried to source the mini for the Assault Squad, with the plan to convert him as a reassigned Thunderhawk pilot, but the asking price for the mini was too rich for my taste ($40-$60 for a torso). With the squad fully converted, but not yet painted, I'm thinking he can remain a Techmarine.

Thank you, lots of fond memories playing 2nd Edition with those minis. Trying to work out how to get backpacks for some of them. The newer plastic ones are hopelessly out of scale, and the RTB01 ones are $6 each on Ebay.

I might consider Forgeworld, or hunt around for other options. 

So, taking the path of least resistance, I worked a little bit on the Techmarine. No paint stripping needed, just filing off some mold lines and chopping plastic. 

iUz2tD.jpg

iUzAfA.jpg

iUlaw0.jpg

iUz8Kq.jpg

The left arm ended up being more involved than I had originally intended. I didn't have a lot of left arms that were not holding bolters, so I ended up using an arm from the Blood Angels Tactical box, a hi-tech looking shoulder pad from the upgrade sprue, the forearm from Sergeant Chronus, and some spare cable to tie the arm in with the torso. The legs were the best of what I had left in my bitz box. The MkIV parts I had left were too plain compared to the torso, but those MkVI legs (with some additional embellishments), work well. I really wanted to work in MkIII legs, but they would have looked too bulky compared to the relatively small metal torso.

The load out came together organically. I knew that I wanted a melta based weapon, as that seems to be befitting for a Techmarine. When I was bulking up the waistline the gap was just the perfect fit for a meltabomb, so I see this Techmarine as more of a combat engineer - working in tandem with the IX infantry to clear obstacles, and assist in the neutralizing of enemy armor, before reinforcing a beachhead position. Based on the model's stature, and less techy lower half, I see this as perhaps a newer Techmarine, just returned from Mars, and perhaps the most junior of their ranks present with the 83rd.

It's a quiet, rainy Saturday here, just before my semester starts, so I'm squeezing in some hobby time. First up, paint stripping:

icYrMc.jpg

For the Primaris Psyker, I'm thinking of a purple scheme. I'm not sure what paint schemes I'll be going with on the vampire and Dark Elf Sorcerer (I have two of this mini - the other one is currently purple).

Edited by OakRiver

• 2 months later...

Thank you. It is a much better, and more detailed sculpt than I remember. I think the weakest part of the mini is the force staff. The pattern towards the bottom isn't well defined, and the skull at the top could have used some more definition, as well as consistency with the eye sockets. 

Way to save a model that, at first glance, I would have discarded as unsalveagable: I didn't know the sculpt, and seeing it with its hideous previous paintjob made me suspect it might be a goner. But you have really transformed the model with a very nice paintjob! Excellent work! :)

Thanks Kraut. The mini is definitely a product of its era. The face is surprisingly well sculpted, and the body is what you expect for a "space wizard", so it got the color scheme to match. I am grateful that the detail on the hem of the robe was just well enough defined that a wash made it pop. The most lacking part of the mini is the staff. The detail on the bottom of the staff is not as well defined as other areas, the wire sticking out the side is goofy, but the skull feels rushed. The eye sockets are different sizes, the teeth are not well defined, and the symbol lacks a lot of definition. Honestly, the top of the staff looks like someone else sculpted it.