So Imperial Guard are going to be in PA:The Greater Good.

MrZakalwe

I don’t know... they’re pretty good. The main reason I was taking Catachan was the re-roll number of shots, now I can make my FRFSRF infantry effective up to 18” as well instead of the extra strength. Lose some good characters but not a bad trade. Cadian is still the boring best choice and you can’t really replace Tallarn with those but they’re fine.

It’s the Strategems I like, usefull ways of using all our CP’s can only be good. Love the sentinel one and look forward to my squadron of 3 with Lascannons putting out some serious damage turn 1. Tank - Artillery aces look great as well.

I think one of my Battalions is still going to be Tallarn for my infantry plus one of my Tank Commander. But what used to be my Catachan battalion focusing on the bulk of my armour that is probably going to get a custom combination.

The focus of the regular Guard stuff seem to not really have been infantry buffs...which is okay I think, it was pretty decent already. Rather it focused on armour and a lot of the underused units with the strats. And then the whole pack of Scion-rules, which are just awesome.

There's a lot to like without a big fear that something it's horribly broken and deserving of the nerf hammer. I like my psychic and wyrdvane psykers are now looking viable again with the strategum. I'm already taking a primaris, multiple astropaths and cotaez. I can find 6 points to upgrade the mental fortitude astropath. What I'm gaining is auto casting the mental fortitude (1+1+2=4) and casting the first smite on a 2+. Second smite from cotaez on a 6+. Third smite from the primaris on a 5+ (d6 mortals on a 9+!). Plus the primaris gets an additional cast so I can give him some powers I'm not using rather than having his powers as redundancy for the astropath, probably night shroud and maybe another. One astropath is already running psychic maelstrom. The other psychic barrier. Cotaez has castigation and knowledge from power? So in total I can reliably cast smite 3x and 2 other attacking powers and cast 4 defensive powers in one turn. One strategum has pschically awakened the guard!

Making the Catachan vehicle buff more widely available is probably the best thing on that list.  Not crazy about the melee buffing ones, since I would just take Catachan (who also has an order to buff flamers).  I not sure how much the jury rigged repair will do since things usually get focused.  If I'm not running a named regiment, I'll likely run with Gunnery experts and Spotter details/Disciplined shooters depending on the list.

I'm a bit disappointed with the Super heavy ace traits.  The only one I would consider using would be the cover save since (unless the exact wording says otherwise) a static Baneblade would get a permanent cover save.  We have other ways of dealing with moral and we've been dealing with the Super heavy regimental trait thing for 2 years without issue.

It is very nice to have more stratagems for mono guard to dump points into.

My mech armored team will have one batt and spearhead using the reroll hits and jury rigging one while my infantry and chimeras will take the Tallarn so those transports can still move and shoot. I usually use a pair of engineseers so some good repair will be going on. I have enough tanks where my opponent has to have some serious AT to hurt me badly quickly and if they go after the chimeras then they are not shooting my real damage dealers. I tend to run either hell hounds or lascannon sentinels so both are helped with the new strats.

Making the Catachan vehicle buff more widely available is probably the best thing on that list.  Not crazy about the melee buffing ones, since I would just take Catachan (who also has an order to buff flamers).  I not sure how much the jury rigged repair will do since things usually get focused.  If I'm not running a named regiment, I'll likely run with Gunnery experts and Spotter details/Disciplined shooters depending on the list.

I'm a bit disappointed with the Super heavy ace traits.  The only one I would consider using would be the cover save since (unless the exact wording says otherwise) a static Baneblade would get a permanent cover save.  We have other ways of dealing with moral and we've been dealing with the Super heavy regimental trait thing for 2 years without issue.

It is very nice to have more stratagems for mono guard to dump points into.

I think you can get a bit of use out of Steadfast Leviathan.

What I am thinking is when you want to give a super-heavy different traits to your main force, without having to pay a supreme command HQ tax. For example, I wuld make my main force Tallarn. Super heavies don't really gain much from Tallarn (unless you ambush of course). So I could make an auxillary detachment with repair and gunnery expert traits.

Sure, cover is probably the better choice but I can see myself using leviathan at some point.

I'm pretty sure that jury rigged repair along with -1 damage tank aces will neuter the imperial fist super doctrine. That being said, it will force opponents to spend all of their firepower to bring down 1 tank. If you leave it alive, even on 1 wound, someone with jury rigged repairs and a tech-priest could get the thing firing on it's top bracket. That regimental trait give the possibility of repairing 7 wounds in 1 turn.

Its nice for the tanks, but I think the Jury-Rigging doctrine is going to be great for sentinels.  I've already used armored sentinels to good effect as tarpits for shooty units and low-ap melee like wytches.  With the +2hit strategem and the weapon cost reductions from chapter approved, they should make reasonable gun turrets as well with a an autocannon or missle launcher.  A T6/W6/3+ vehicle healing 1-3 each turn is going to need heavy weaponry to reliably put down, which is AT weaponry not being pointed at the tanks.

There's a lot to like without a big fear that something it's horribly broken and deserving of the nerf hammer. I like my psychic and wyrdvane psykers are now looking viable again with the strategum. I'm already taking a primaris, multiple astropaths and cotaez. I can find 6 points to upgrade the mental fortitude astropath. What I'm gaining is auto casting the mental fortitude (1+1+2=4) and casting the first smite on a 2+. Second smite from cotaez on a 6+. Third smite from the primaris on a 5+ (d6 mortals on a 9+!). Plus the primaris gets an additional cast so I can give him some powers I'm not using rather than having his powers as redundancy for the astropath, probably night shroud and maybe another. One astropath is already running psychic maelstrom. The other psychic barrier. Cotaez has castigation and knowledge from power? So in total I can reliably cast smite 3x and 2 other attacking powers and cast 4 defensive powers in one turn. One strategum has pschically awakened the guard!

I agree about the potential of guard pskers - Primaris were under-rated before. The mortal wound potential is significant and something guard lack. My only worry is that the wyrdvane can get targeted as not chars - so will need some hiding!

I think one of my Battalions is still going to be Tallarn for my infantry plus one of my Tank Commander. But what used to be my Catachan battalion focusing on the bulk of my armour that is probably going to get a custom combination.

I agree about Tallarn infantry especially- They are go to infantry for me. 52pts for plasma gun and plasma pistol - Advance and shoot no penalty - frees up re-roll 1s order to allow overcharging and weapon profile perfect for primaris. Whole unit has the speed to get under 12" where it benefits from rapid fire rules. 

Reflections:

Is combining Disciplined shooters and disciplined survivors now best INFANTRY regiment doctrine (let's call it TANITH..!).

18" Rapid Fire + cover if don't advance.

Plays as 18" Rapid Fire and 4+ save.

It's the same as Tallarn but always rolling a 6 for advance in terms of range. You lose the Tallarn special strat (ambush)- though can still use Relic for limited version.

I agree @captainmarsh. And less movement = less board control which is something I push for with infantry heavy list.

I tend to have 3 squads move move move turn one and really push out, then second group advances (and as Tallarn still shoots). I havent played with TANITH option so don't know difference on ground. If anyone gets a chance to I'd appreciate feedback.

Here's the most important question.  Which one of you are going to design a printable dust cover for the book so we don't have to look at that dirty xenos fish filth on the cover?  I'd rather not use black spray paint but I will if I have to.

Edited by crimsondave

Here's the most important question.  Which one of you are going to design a printable dust cover for the book so we don't have to look at that dirty xenos fish filth on the cover?  I'd rather not use black spray paint but I will if I have to.

Maybe draw a bullseye, of some sort of "know your enemy" propaganda on it?

I tested out some of the new rules that I could pull up on my phone. We've got some powerful stuff. The 2 auto-includes are the tank aces. I spent 1 CP to make a basilisk have flat 3 damage and I made a field commander with my Emperor's Fist Detachment so I could get a second warlord without worrying about forgoing my primary warlord trait. I used this trick to give by hammer of sunderance the master mechanic ace ability. Keeping the Hammer of Sunderance alive longer is a godsend. Stratagems that are extremely powerful are, Hail of Fire. I gave it to a demolisher tank commander. It was super tasty. The other really strong stratagem is relentless. I had the Hammer get focused down and the master mechanic kept it alive, but on 1 wound. Relentless allowed for the Hammer of Sunderance to shoot in it's top bracket. I can't wait to get the book and formulate a way to maximize it.

Threw together a list

Because I want to make use of the scion doctrines and the super heavy auxiliary tank ace I'm stuck with a giant brigade of everything else where I can't decided what RD to choose or which vigilus detachment

Do I want the Relic battle cannon or so I want to shoot my flat D:3 basilisk twice with twin linking and ignore cover :lol:

Looking at the Psychic Conclave, I take it that since Aradia Madellan has the Primaris Psyker keyword that the stratagem works on her as well, correct?

Yes I believe she does.

On that topic, I was thinking that extra casts with the Wyrdvanes was pointless as they only know one power. Then I read that smite is an exception to the psychic focus restriction. So you can cast two smites with a single unit right? These isn't some FAQ that stops that or something? I barely use smite as the psychic buffs are just so good for Guard.