Bikers

It can if you face lots of S3, S5 and/or S6 weaponry. Usually the jump from T4 to T5 benefits you more than the jump from T5 to T6 though.

Edited by Panzer

I have them in my Black Legion list, only 3 as objective grabbers and general clearing duties on the flanks. They have taken out a few eliminator squads recently (a bit of help from some other squad too mind) but I really can see a use for them.

I've ordered two boxes of three, was thinking of running them as 6 for Slaanesh's sacred number and to get more mileage out of any stratagems used on them.

Still can't decided to model flamers or meltaguns on them.

Maybe wait? Astartes chainswords could be something we get as well for 9th ed. 

At least under the current rules, every biker has the option of either a chainsword or a bolt pistol, so an improvement to the chainswords shouldn't affect his choice between meltaguns and flamers.

Its only the champion that has to replace his chainsword/bolt pistol with a weapon upgrade - the squaddies who get flamers/meltaguns/plasma guns get that weapon in addition to, rather than instead of, the chainsword/bolt pistol.

I've ordered two boxes of three, was thinking of running them as 6 for Slaanesh's sacred number and to get more mileage out of any stratagems used on them.

Still can't decided to model flamers or meltaguns on them.

You can always magnetize. I converted some DV bikers for my EC recently, and did magnetize all the options for them. Of course I can use those for all my power Armour as well. You just have to watch out to keep the polarity the same for all the models. Edited by Maschinenpriester

was that at the wrist or in the shoulder/chest?

I do it on the chest/shoulder. The wrist does not work for all weapons like lightning claws or fists, as I magnetize the sergeant options too.

you will need some extra shoulder pads for that. Depending of the amount of options you want to do.

the advantage is, that you can use bigger magnets than in the wrists.

Edited by Maschinenpriester

• 2 weeks later...

I really like them for what they offer on paper.

For my World Eaters they can delete armour (with melters) or bring back the "burn" in "kill maim burn" (with flamers)

They can even be helpful with an early charge.

Just those models... UGH!

Agreed the models are awful. I'm defo gonna use the new primaris bikes as a base for some World Eaters bikes at some point in the future.

Could bikers be considered decent for Iron Warriors? I'm looking at picking up my CSM again, and my Iron Warriors really could do with some FA choices to fill out a Brigade

I think on paper they look good for us, especially with plasma. With deep strike still at 9 inches, melta raptors still not that great I think, so maybe melta would be better on bikers if we outflank (?) them with how reserves seem to work in 9th. Still the models are an eyesore, and I have other FW stuff to buy over legion outriders. I'm just pretending not to notice them though, they always seem to miss their slot in my painting line. :whistling:

I like the Biker models myself tbh! I guess as a 3rd ed baby they have that nostalgic silly design edge to them. 

In game terms - I think Terminators at a cheaper base cost are probably winning the argument now if you want a squad to drop down and clear a hole. 27 Points for a Combi bolter and Chainaxe vs 28 points base for the biker with combi bolter and chainsword. 

I would say Bikers are better right now on the eve of 9th ed.

I've been using them lately with Chaos. Nothing special, but board control is so huge, and a fast response, cheap squad with some limited durability is nice. I just would not invest too much in them points wise because of the limited role they will have.

I have considered getting Melta's on them. Or even Plasma Combi's for the unmodified 1 rule change to overcharge. I'm just finding our heavy hitters need the points more. But yes, bikes are 'okay' now, to me, and I even pull out the Baledrake now. (It's done some pretty cool things for me.)

I tended towards the full 9 biker squad with additional combi bolter in the champion for some turn one clearing of screens with 80 bolter shots and veterans of the long war and a possible charge if warptimed. At 255pts that feels pretty expensive now!

A terminator bare bones squad or even chainhavocs outflanked do a job for less points bar the ability to hop onto an objective.

Plus, I like to take meltas on my Chaos Bikers and those went down in price.

A squad of 4 Chaos Bikers with 2 meltas and a combi-melta increased 5% in points between 8th and 9th. In contrast a squad of 4 bare bones Chaos Bikers without meltas went up in points by 22% between 8th and 9th. :)