New SM - nerfs /changes to Doctrines.

Morticon

I wholeheartedly agree with the straightened idea of how Doctrines should work. For me it is very much in the spirit of Codex Astartes - offer flexibility, but at the same time codify it so much that it becomes rigid :P. Pure grimdark WH40k that we love.

For us it definitely increases our chances of survival against the shootier Marines factions.
For me personally it changes nothing in regards to how I would play the Doctrines. 1T: Dev -> 1-2T Tac, until I line up most of my charges -> Assault all the way onwards.

*Laughs in Blood Angel*

My Dark Angels may weep, but my Blood Angels

My Blood Angels ride on wings of fire.

These recent changes have definitely motivated me to utilize some more Reivers and Assault Marines in my army.

I dont get it. What have we got better at? Or just that IH players got the nerf bat?

Literally nothing ha changed except for those armies that wanted to stay in Dev doctrine forever. What am I missing?

The only thing I see is that FT got penalised with the RAW that Assault doctrine doesnt stack with FT chapter trait. 

We didn't get worse (apart form the half damage strat for dreads being changed to -1 damage), and our survivability increased a bit against those Marines factions that relied almost exclusively on the DevDoc bonuses.

This 'laughs in Blood Angel" comes from a certain meme which just needed a rhyme to 'Dark Angel' actually.

87503699_2475971962669728_85146620517322

We didn't get worse (apart form the half damage strat for dreads being changed to -1 damage), and our survivability increased a bit against those Marines factions that relied almost exclusively on the DevDoc bonuses.

This 'laughs in Blood Angel" comes from a certain meme which just needed a rhyme to 'Dark Angel' actually.

Like, I know the meme, just didn't see why it was applied. It's not like we benefitted from the FAQ - other than becoming relatively better due to others getting worse. Like, if it gave the option to change doctrine every player turn or spend a CP to advance doctrines, then I'd be laughing. 

I guess it's a great time to pick up an IH army on ebay though!

Edited by Xenith

Like, I know the meme, just didn't see why it was applied. It's not like we benefitted from the FAQ - other than becoming relatively better due to others getting worse. Like, if it gave the option to change doctrine every player turn or spend a CP to advance doctrines, then I'd be laughing. 

I guess it's a great time to pick up an IH army on ebay though!

I mean that's just it though. When a number of other armies get nerfed and we don't that essentially amounts to a buff. 

*Laughs in Blood Angel*

These recent changes have definitely motivated me to utilize some more Reivers and Assault Marines in my army.

I dont get it. What have we got better at? Or just that IH players got the nerf bat?

Literally nothing ha changed except for those armies that wanted to stay in Dev doctrine forever. What am I missing?

The only thing I see is that FT got penalised with the RAW that Assault doctrine doesnt stack with FT chapter trait. 

Exactly as Remtek said above, its an indirect buff to us.  Basically if you had to look at a power graph, the net difference would see BA's overall position increase relative to the others.

It's not only IH players who were hit hardest (along with poor DA and then IF), but to a lesser extent UM, RG and Sallies (who really didnt need the hit).  The new required progression is a rule that doesn't affect us at all, so not only do I feel relatively unscathed, but I feel our standing in the meta has improved. 

I think we will still see a tournament shift towards WS and RG, but either way, I'm happy with where we are with BA now. 

*Laughs in Blood Angel*

Exactly as Remtek said above, its an indirect buff to us.  Basically if you had to look at a power graph, the net difference would see BA's overall position increase relative to the others.

It's not only IH players who were hit hardest (along with poor DA and then IF), but to a lesser extent UM, RG and Sallies (who really didnt need the hit).  The new required progression is a rule that doesn't affect us at all, so not only do I feel relatively unscathed, but I feel our standing in the meta has improved. 

I think we will still see a tournament shift towards WS and RG, but either way, I'm happy with where we are with BA now. 

UM are affected the least since they have several ways to play with the current doctrine status (they just rebound into whatever doctrine is supposed to be active now after that's over). IF has tools to work around different doctrines since the core of their chapter trait buffs bolters and even during the assualt doctrine they can still go with the buffed bolt pistol and pair it with bolter discipline.

RG just have to swap Centurions for Aggressors which might not be as aggressive, but they're still a solid pick.

And IH, while not king of the mountain anymore, are still harder to kill than all the other chapters, and have a buffed overwatch meaning they still have a solid base to work with.

Basically, things aren't as dire as some parts of the internet will claim, and the various armies still have tricks to work with.

Edited by Fulkes

Chapters using the Tactical Doctrine barely got hit at all considering they can still use theirs turn 2 and 3 and we all know how the games usually look turn 4+ anyway.

IF barely got hit for the same reason. Their Chapter Tactic benefits most from the Tactical Doctrine despite their super doctrine being for the Devastator Doctrine so they are fine too.

For the benefit of those of us who haven't put achievement points into Google-fu, what was this list?

I'm too lazy to search for it right now, but he won another tournament this weekend with this slightly tweaked list:

Detachment 1

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [72 PL, 949pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**CHAPTER**: Blood Angels

+ HQ +

Astorath: 3. Exhortation of Rage, 4. Mantra of Strength, Invocation of Destruction, Litanies of Hate

Lemartes: 6. Canticle of Hate, Litanies of Hate

+ Troops +

Scout Squad

. Scout: Combat knife

. Scout Sergeant: Chainsword, Combat knife

Scout Squad