What's Next for the Sisters?

Banjulhu

There is an upcoming Psychic Awakening book which will feature the Sisters and we have no solid uidea what will be in it. Personally I am hoping for Ephrael Stern as she was in the fluff in PA #1 as well as the Codex.

Palatines are already in the book, technically if a canoness isn't the warlord its a palatine. Dark Eldar Drachons work the same way.

What's next for sisters specifically? Well, as mentioned above, a flier. A super heavy at some point is also a reasonable expectation. Finally, characters that are not and have never been Order of Our Martyred Lady. Really, that's all we need. Frateris Militia as a troops choice would actually validate a pure ecclesiarchy army, but sisters are so good that I'm not sure many people would opt for an ecclesiarchy army even if it was an option. 

There are lots of armies without a non-forgeworld super heavy that I would expect to see one before sisters. Another plastic Imperium Super heavy sounds like a waste unless its just an upgrade sprue for the baneblade.

1. Rule of Three needs to go. Certain units absolutely need to be restricted, but carte blanche?

Rule of 3 is the bare minimum of list building restrictions. If anything there should be more but I'm happy for serious stuff like mono-detachment to be optional.

The pseudo-unbound feel from 7th and 8th ed has really hurt 40k as a game. You could minmax when you were limited to a standard force org but you didn't see nonsense like characters who were supposed to lead armies or entire planets being used to replace actual units.

Apparently we didn't play the same game because I clearly remember things such as armies of just Knights, armies of Magnus and horrors and that's it, etc. in 7th. If you want to really dig deep, Hero Hammer has fluctuated back and forth in both 40K and WHFB dating back to at least the 1994 -- when I began playing in second edition 40K.

I think the game is in a really good spot right now.

It's really not.

Curious to delve into this. The space marine fix is welcome (unkillable ironhands dreads sounded awful), PA buffs seems to be reasonable. Other than some minor fixes to our dex (celestians) I’m pretty happy with it.

Chapter Approved did some fix for maelstrom, ITC Champs 2020 changes mean Celestine is no longer the kingslayer liability she was before. Playing both competitively and casually in 23 games since the book dropped at 1000/1500/2000pts...I don’t really have any complaints. I saw some mention of the rule of 3, but I don’t understand the hate on for it, if anyone could elaborate?

Curious to delve into this. The space marine fix is welcome (unkillable ironhands dreads sounded awful), PA buffs seems to be reasonable. Other than some minor fixes to our dex (celestians) I’m pretty happy with it.

Chapter Approved did some fix for maelstrom, ITC Champs 2020 changes mean Celestine is no longer the kingslayer liability she was before. Playing both competitively and casually in 23 games since the book dropped at 1000/1500/2000pts...I don’t really have any complaints. I saw some mention of the rule of 3, but I don’t understand the hate on for it, if anyone could elaborate?

It kinda goes off-topic but at this point things are just a disaster with rules spread over an entire library's worth of books, with a personal servitor being a requirement to haul everything needed to a game. Power creep is insane just like with the formation madness of 7th except at this point even worse. Current turn system just doesn't work because of too way much firepower. Most vehicles are useless at the higher end due to no invuln saves and thus dying way too easily - not to mention the whole lack of tank shock and no fall back & shoot that have been a ridiculous issue since day 1 of 8th edition. Doesn't stop with these but as said, it's going off-topic.

For the topic itself, I'm not much into speculation so whether or not a 9th edition is coming is just a wait and see thing. I wouldn't hold my breath about any additional model for our PA thing. At best it'd be a single model anyway. Rules-wise I could maybe see the DIY Order rules system and maybe some relics and stratagems, but not much else. But it's all conjecture and not very fruitful.

Can't really comment on the state of the game as a whole but I'm mostly happy with the 8th edition Adeptus Sororitas dex. It does need some fixes though.

Useful Celestians & Dominions. Another troop choice (Maybe an HQ that makes Seraphim into troops?). Actual Palatine (rather than Missionary). Finally they really need to do away with the silly Canoness build restrictions. 

Useful Celestians & Dominions. Another troop choice (Maybe an HQ that makes Seraphim into troops?). Actual Palatine (rather than Missionary). Finally they really need to do away with the silly Canoness build restrictions. 

A Palatine would be really cool, the easy fix would just be copy/paste of a marine Lt (re-roll 1's to wound)...but that would be a bit boring and contribute to making exorcists a bit ridiculous.  

With how well they did with the new book, I'm actually hoping GW can come up with something more interesting for a secondary HQ, something that fits the vibe of the army a bit more.  A generic jump pack character would be cool (as would just giving a canoness access to a jump pack...).  

Coming from an old player who has played sisters as well as a lot of other armies in most editions of the game, I have to say the state of the sisters is better then ever. There is a nice balance if you play pure or mix in priests, arco's, pentinents or the like. Special things for the army only are nice.

I understand what everyone is saying about HQ'S but of you look thru other armies, not so bad. My DE took a major hit losing characters left and right throughout 6th and 7th and while they do have more troop choices I still don't have a sky board riding HQ option, (after making a baron conversion 2 months before dex got rid of him). Harliquins have 1 troop choice, 2 HQ'S and their only heavy doesn't even compare to an exorcist. The invulnerable saves help with this but...

If you go thru a bunch of other dexs you'll see the same things, some things that are good, some not so but they get played. Our sisters are a new flavor and our taste is still adapting to them.

The new Canoness kit looks great and I'm still not sure what all the restrictions are about, glad they erratad the box set one. Marines they are not, GW will always show more affection to them sometimes to a breaking point.

As for what I'd like to see next, pretty much what everyone else wants. I think a knight for a super heavy, makes since for urban combat. Maybe an official repressor. Bikers, again urban. Can you imagine a canoness on a bike?

Hope this helps.

So in terms of PA now that we know the 8th book is Deathguard, Talons of the Emperor, Assassins, and some more chaos stuff, the last book has to be the remaining factions that haven't received anything. That means Necrons, Deathwatch, Harlequins, and Adepta Sororitas. I have plenty of naysayers screaming that we already got our update even though it wasn't in PA but I believe we will still get something, even if it's just custom orders something like that. Or I guess we could get screwed again despite all the love we just received lol

I'm guessing that Sisters will see similar rules to space marines, i.e. upgrade one of your Canoness' to a Superior and you get re-rolls 1s to wound too or re-roll all hits like a chapter master. You might be able to upgrade Dialogus and Hospitalliers just like apothecaries and chaplains too.

Obviously depends on GW opinions of space marines now, and if they consider them OP, which of course they'd then want to avoid replicating with another faction.

It's one way of upgrading the army without more new releases, which seem highly unlikely, except in the form a single character model like Stern coming in as our uber anti-psyker. 

I'm guessing that Sisters will see similar rules to space marines, i.e. upgrade one of your Canoness' to a Superior and you get re-rolls 1s to wound too or re-roll all hits like a chapter master. You might be able to upgrade Dialogus and Hospitalliers just like apothecaries and chaplains too.

Obviously depends on GW opinions of space marines now, and if they consider them OP, which of course they'd then want to avoid replicating with another faction.

It's one way of upgrading the army without more new releases, which seem highly unlikely, except in the form a single character model like Stern coming in as our uber anti-psyker.

The upgrade to a Canoness Superior seems very likely considering Junith exists (complete with the special keyword).

I could see maybe new sacred rites if they were order specific ones.

Possibility of a Stratagem that upgrades Dialogus and Hospitaller units to better, more effective versions? We have one for Imagifiers, and we saw something similar in the Marine release. Could even come with relics and Warlord traits for them.

I think I mentioned it before, but I could see a Dominion Stratagem that bestows their vanguard move to a transport.

I'd really like to see some love for Celestine and the Geminae. Imho, the truly best way to fix them is to revert to the Index take on the data sheet, and Celestine gets a new always on effect identical to the Simulacrum for the unit.

But I imagine there are some Stratagem options possible...

I would love to see a Dominion stratagem that grants the vehicle vanguard move. Maybe it could be similar to the before game deep strike strats that other factions have, 1CP for one squad, 2CP for 3 or something.

In terms of Celestine and the Geminae I doubt they will ever be a single unit again to make sure soup with her does not get abused, even though I think those days are over regardless. But I think if you kept all their points the same and gave her the index data sheet back plus an aura of the Simulacrum effect for herself and the Geminae their 2+ save and the ability on either sheet that Celestine can still bring them back if the unit gets destroyed that would be enough to see them pop up again in various lists, maybe even at local competitions. The ability to at least guarantee herself a MD in combat for damage dealing or for a save would be about equivalent to rerolls and I would gladly accept it.

My wishlist would be:

Hq:

Canoness superior as a stratagem upgrade

Palatine as a unit entry (but not necessarily model) as a lt equivalent.

Return of the confessor unit entry +/- model

New model for jump pack canoness / palatine

This would add several new hq options to the book with only 1-2 models needed

Troops:

Only one troops unit in the whole codex puts it at a disadvantage compared to just about every other book out there. Adding either a novice geq unit for cheaper troops or the return of frateriis militia ?

Transports:

plastic updated repressor

Elites:

Plenty of units to choose from but plastic updates to the Ecclesiarchy units would be good. I also hate not being able to choose whether or not units like the repentia superior or Ecclesiarchy units take up a slot as more often than not this is a disadvantage.

Fast:

Another FA unit would be good, perhaps a jetbike or speeder equivalent?

Heavy:

Enough units in that slot already as the immolator fills the light tank category. Would personally like to see exorcists become artillery rather than direct los.

Flyer:

Definitely needed. Aesthetocally something similar to the nephilim or having a fleur de lys silhouette?

Finally, I think a few more special characters for specific (non oooml) orders dotted around the slots would be good to see.

There is an upcoming Psychic Awakening book which will feature the Sisters and we have no solid uidea what will be in it. Personally I am hoping for Ephrael Stern as she was in the fluff in PA #1 as well as the Codex.

I guess I got my wish! :teehee:

I guess I got my wish! :teehee:

I remember reading this when you posted it. It filled me with hope [and maybe a little bit of the light of the Emprah!],  but even then, I wouldn't let myself believe it to protect myself from the disappointment. You were the first person I thought of when I saw that model.

Thanks for not being afraid to put yourself out there as an optimist, and enjoy your victory dance!