Thulsa Kane ‘old night’

Work in progress of my version of Thulsa Kane. Looking for feedback as this model draws closer to completion. What else should I work on? Keep in mind I’ve still gotta paint one eye, and some other details. But let me know what you think.

gallery_69148_16116_752871.jpeg

gallery_69148_16116_619307.jpeg

@Ryltar Thamior; thanks! I was always planning on doing a converted model of his character, and was going to go the traditional skull helmed chaplain route, but between the CSM executioner’s huge axe (Lifetaker) and the bone elements of the armor (Grendel’s bones) the body was a good fit. Then the row we helms are pretty cool and a few bits later what you see is what I made. Glad u liked it.

Personally, I would have used a different left arm+shoulder pad, as while the model looks really nice, he kind of still reads a bit too much as the Master of Executions.

Also: I would have filled in the divot on the cloak where the arm with heads normally would attach.

@Gederas; thanks for the feedback. I hear you about the left arm/shoulder pad as I wasn’t sure how much I wanted to carve up the initial base model’s arms and shoulders and have to resculpt as a result. Idea was a quick and easy conversion. Not sure what divot you’re seeing as it may be a result of the pic and lighting. Do you mean where the plasma pistol hand attaches?

Regardless; much appreciate the constructive criticism!

(Rethinking the left shoulder pad and maybe make a sculpted chapter symbol instead of tilt plate/ shield i attached...

AND I see the divot on the cloak now! Wow totally missed that. Maybe an opportune placed purity seal will do as don’t want to have to GS it and re blend and wash that section again. Thanks for the catch !!

Edited by Yosef Hausakluif

AND I see the divot on the cloak now! Wow totally missed that. Maybe an opportune placed purity seal will do as don’t want to have to GS it and re blend and wash that section again. Thanks for the catch !!

Yeah, I've seen enough people using the Master of Executions as the basis for a conversion and not filling in that divot or covering it that it makes it feel like people are lazy about it :lol:

And no problem, glad to help!

So made some changes to the left shoulder pad as that old metal tilt plate/shield was way too thick and much happier with the result overall:

gallery_69148_16116_701023.jpeg

And also filled the divot which I didn’t even notice until pics made it obvious; once I saw it I couldn’t unsee it ! Simple fix:

gallery_69148_16116_255706.jpeg

Now to get the fixes painted up; and thanks again for the feedback about improving the overall model!

• 4 weeks later...

So more progress on the big guy. Still not 100% happy with the left Shoulder pad. Thinking maybe sculpt a pelt instead of sculpt some bones as armor. What do you think!?

Also noticed I really need to use a little red or purple wash for his empty eye socket to differentiate it form the other and clean up the skull helm respirator on that side too. Pics really help with what you’ve missed and time painting a Reiver helm for me. Any advice welcome, especially for the shoulder and chapter insignia giving me grief.

gallery_69148_16116_274145.jpeg

gallery_69148_16116_162184.jpeg

gallery_69148_16116_181716.jpeg

Repainted the face/eye socket and helm; and solved my issue with the shoulder pad; kept it simple and painted it all black (duh). Looks soo much better IMHO. Pics to follow soon to finish. Gallery upload says they’re too large so have to retake.