Melee Options for Mortifiers

I'm currently build my mortifiers and I'm stuck on if I should give them the flails or the buzz-saws? I am going to build them with heavy bolters and run them as a distraction carnifex. Which is the better option?

Depends on what you hope to threaten with the distraction carnifex. I believe the consensus is that the flails are the better all round weapon and good against infantry, but the saws do give you the high strength and better AP against ought opponents.

While you can mix and match on a per model basis this would cost you an attack (as having two of the same gives you an attack) so probably not an option.

Personally I am thinking of running a squad of three with two flails and one saw equipped mortifier.

Depends on what you hope to threaten with the distraction carnifex. I believe the consensus is that the flails are the better all round weapon and good against infantry, but the saws do give you the high strength and better AP against ought opponents.

While you can mix and match on a per model basis this would cost you an attack (as having two of the same gives you an attack) so probably not an option.

Personally I am thinking of running a squad of three with two flails and one saw equipped mortifier.

I like that idea. I'll probably give the Anchorite the saws since it can handle the damage that heavier units can deal to it.

Can the kits be magnetized? At least that would give the option to swap out

Actually, they can be, somewhat. You get 4 heavy bolters, 4 heavy flamers, 4 buzz-saws, and 4 flails. So you can only swap out the melee weapons for one engine.

Can the kits be magnetized? At least that would give the option to swap out

Actually, they can be, somewhat. You get 4 heavy bolters, 4 heavy flamers, 4 buzz-saws, and 4 flails. So you can only swap out the melee weapons for one engine.

Looking at the sprue online it looked like a separate arm assembly for both flails and buzz blades. If it’s do-able that’s what I would do. Options are always nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Just did a bit of mathimication and came up with an average of 2.2 wounds after saves from the flails and 1.68 wounds after saves for the saws.

(Assuming vs. T8 3+ save)

If any folks who are actually decent at math want to take a look and see if that's in the right ballpark please do correct me.

That being said, it would appear that the flails do comparable average damage against most tanks/Vehicles while being better against most other targets.

I think a good argument could be made for the saws getting bumped to damage 3 to better designate their anti-armor roll compared to the flails.