Sororitas squad markings.

Mr Smith

One of the things I was hoping to see in the new Codex was some indication of how the Adepta Sororitas differentiate squads in their forces.  Obviously this was not included.  It is also difficult to imagine how it would be done in a way that fits in with their aesthetic; this could be due to the Sororitas not being a 'traditional' military force in the way Astartes or the Imeprial Guard are.

That all being said, what are people doing to set-apart their Battle Sister squads?

I generally don’t. This is due to tendency to mix and match models between squads between different games, i.e. That stormbolter model may be a dominion in one game, or a battle sister in the next, or a celestian in the game after that. Having specific squad markings tends to interfere with that.

How do you tell which model is in which squad if they all get piled-in at some point, or in Tournaments?

Celestians and Retributos have distinct helmets from normal Sister squads, fleur-de-lis on the face plate and on the side respectively. 

However this is a very minor detail and easy to miss. 

You could always add your own markings, say different coloured robes, gloves, or helmet colours.

Edited by Trokair

You could always add your own markings, say different coloured robes, gloves, or helmet colours.

Well, the codex already shows such differences, with Celestians of the OoOML having black robes, BR ones having inverted (black inside, white out) robes, SRs and ECs having golden eagles on their shoulders instead of silver...

There’s nothing really preventing one from doing something sinilar for other squads

Ah, finally found a reference I was looking for...

On page 17, in the sidebar :

6. Livery

This Battle Sister wears the livery of the Order of Our Martyred Lady. The red of the cloth was adopted by the majority of Preceptories to remember the Order’s losses at Armageddon.

Therefore you can make whatever personalized changes to the official schemes if you so desire, since every Preceptory can have it’s own variations...

I generally don’t. This is due to tendency to mix and match models between squads between different games, i.e. That stormbolter model may be a dominion in one game, or a battle sister in the next, or a celestian in the game after that. Having specific squad markings tends to interfere with that.

How do you tell which model is in which squad if they all get piled-in at some point, or in Tournaments?

What I normally do when I charge things with multiple units is face all the models in each unit is a specific direction unique from the others.

If you're being practical, it's best to just build the squads you need for any given battle. If you mark a sister with a storm bolter as either a dom, a bss, or a celestian, then that is the only way you can use the model. If you leave it unmarked, however, that same model can be used for any of those roles. 

Having said that, I've always been a story guy; I've always taken notes about who performed particularly poorly or well, and tried to add to the model's history by adding purity seals, trophies and basing elements. This time around, I'm building a secondary lair of organization that divides each detachment into kill teams, so each model is a character. I just paint alpha numeric codes on the bottom of the base and update the model's digital character card everytime that model fights, whether it's KT, 40K, Blackstone or Apocalypse. Advancement is tracked cross platform, but you only apply the advances appropriate to the game you're playing.

If you're being practical, it's best to just build the squads you need for any given battle. If you mark a sister with a storm bolter as either a dom, a bss, or a celestian, then that is the only way you can use the model. If you leave it unmarked, however, that same model can be used for any of those roles. 

Having said that, I've always been a story guy; I've always taken notes about who performed particularly poorly or well, and tried to add to the model's history by adding purity seals, trophies and basing elements. This time around, I'm building a secondary lair of organization that divides each detachment into kill teams, so each model is a character. I just paint alpha numeric codes on the bottom of the base and update the model's digital character card everytime that model fights, whether it's KT, 40K, Blackstone or Apocalypse. Advancement is tracked cross platform, but you only apply the advances appropriate to the game you're playing.

Sounds like a great system for narrative but allot of work...

Apart from the helmets though for Celestians I think with the rest you can get away with mixing and matching.

That said this is were bear heads can be useful for your special weapons so they can be in any squad.

I generally only run 5 woman squads, if needed I put a die to mark where the separation is or I have couple thin acrylic 3” widgets I use during the game anyways, easy to place it between the squads.

In 87? games of 8th I’ve only had to do it a handful of times. It’s way less of an issue for us than orc players or guard players.

Not a fan of squad markings on Sisters squads in the traditional sense (numbers, shoulder trim and the like) though I suppose you could alternate the color of the display screen on their packs between squads without causing a puke worthy (imo) mess that doing so with base rings does. As the display screen is pointed towards the owner in most cases it should be easy to keep the squads seperate if the colors were kept distinguishable from each other. Edited by dracpanzer

If they are elites, then maybe something like a different color on the uppper part of the bolter, like gold instead of metal?

I was thinking more between units of the same type.

Not a fan of squad markings on Sisters squads in the traditional sense (numbers, shoulder trim and the like) though I suppose you could alternate the color of the display screen on their packs between squads without causing a puke worthy (imo) mess that doing so with base rings does. As the display screen is pointed towards the owner in most cases it should be easy to keep the squads seperate if the colors were kept distinguishable from each other.

That's a pretty good idea.