Lamenters helmet colors

Do the Lamenters follow a version of the Blood Angels helmet color scheme? Would it look something like this?

Blood Angels:

Tactical = Red

Heavy Support = Blue

Assault = Yellow

Lamenters:

Tactical = Yellow

Heavy Support = Blue

Assault = Red

What do you think?

Interesting question.
The most up to date 'canon' picture of a Lamenter is form the BA codex showing an Intercessor from the 4th Company, 5th squad (battleline):
They+did+_41447cbf240ea9ff31fda5b4af5f45

From this I would deduce that they follow a different marking system.

While he does have yellow helmet, the most important thing is that he sports the Tactical 'Arrow' marking on the right shoulder pad. Also squad numeral is there, not on the leg as is typical for BA. It is a prudent assumption that Assault (Close Support), Heavy (Fire Support) and Veterans are following similar shoulder pad marking system, not the coloured helmets. 

Question is how the company number is represented. He does have a green mark on the left knee, which is similar to BA's 4th company (single green blood drop). However the number of blood drops gets multiplied for 8th Company (BA), so not sure how this would work for Lamenters. Assuming they do have 8th Company :D

Also 2nd Company would then have yellow? I don't think has been thought through too much by the designers

Other pictures flying around the net (mostly from the Badab War FW book I think) only create additional mess:

- assault marines having crossed swords and company numeral on the right shoulder pad,

- veteran marines also having crossed swords or the crux terminatus,

- Veteran Sergeants (now non-existing, but maybe ca be adopted to Lieutenants?) having a black stripe on the helmet 

Last word in this is yours of course, as it's your army

I went with standard codex designation symbols on mine fwiw. Tac arrow, dev triangle etc. Theres still plenty of variety in that if you want it. I also went with all having a red helmet stripe, veterans with white helmet with red stripe etc.

Just to add to Majkhel's answear. Badab War states "In terms of operational equipment and insignia, the Lamenters cleave more to the standard panoply of the Space Marines". Note also that all marines shown in the book are Assault Marines (hence the croseed swords, one of the standard codex markings for this units in older lore).   However, there is a slight discrepancy between the colour scheme from the last BA codex and BW. In BW numbers on the knee or shoulder pads were company numbers, but in the codex it is a squad number, the company apparently marked by the green knee pad. So as BW is no longer reliable and the codex shows only a tactical Marine (so, chapter colours for the helmet if you want to follow BA),  you should not be troubled too much whether your paint scheme is 100% GW kosher because it is hard to tell now. Don't know if Black Library books have any more recent desrciptions.

Edited by Ayatollah_of_Rock_n_Rolla

My BA Primaris army was primed red but I've decided to switch to a Lamenters style look because I'm stupidly interested in painting a yellow army.  :blink.:

I came to this section today to ask this exact question along with a couple of others.  Is there any real problems with doing the checkboard shoulder on either the left or right?  Because I didn't know what to do with the heads I thought of doing them all black and maybe the backpacks too so they don't look too much like IF.  Do their vehicles need anything special?

Okay I saw that image online and didn't know if it was official.  I assume that's from the FW book I don't have. Also I started gluing some BA shoulders onto the DI Primaris guys I got from eBay for cheap and I didn't pay attention to which should I put them on.  I'm not really codex paintjob guy so I guess it'll be fine. 

My BA are Angels Encarmine rather than Lamenters but had to go through similar questions. I think neither successor chapter follows BA rules for helmet colours since their assault marines don't seem to, but there's no GW produced image of a Angels Encarmine Devastator (I've looked) and wouldn't be surprised if there weren't any Lamenters ones either. Even Flesh Tearers who do have a studio army don't seem to have any. Flesh Tearers definitely don't use helmet colours for squad role, even their vanguard vets have standard black helmets.

However, there is a slight discrepancy between the colour scheme from the last BA codex and BW. In BW numbers on the knee or shoulder pads were company numbers, but in the codex it is a squad number, the company apparently marked by the green knee pad.

That's a really common variation seen across a lot of chapters. I think its better to assume that the in universe schema varies rather than the books being 'wrong'.

My BA are Angels Encarmine rather than Lamenters but had to go through similar questions. I think neither successor chapter follows BA rules for helmet colours since their assault marines don't seem to, but there's no GW produced image of a Angels Encarmine Devastator (I've looked) and wouldn't be surprised if there weren't any Lamenters ones either. Even Flesh Tearers who do have a studio army don't seem to have any. Flesh Tearers definitely don't use helmet colours for squad role, even their vanguard vets have standard black helmets.

You'll be hard pressed to find any official source for the helmet colour thing since GW can't be bothered to flesh out all the heraldry for all the chapters unfortunately. The only thing we can use to determine whether official successors follow the codex astartes heraldry or the blood angels heraldry is their right pauldron.

Angels Sanguine, Flesh Tearers, Blood Drinkers and Lamenters have their Battlefield role designation on their right shoulder pad so there would be no point to colour their helmets like Blood Angels do.

Angels Encarmine, Carmine Blades, Angels Vermillion and Knights of the Chalice have their company designation on their right shoulder pad so it's likely they colour their helmets to designate their battlefield role like Blood Angels do.

You'll be hard pressed to find any official source for the helmet colour thing since GW can't be bothered to flesh out all the heraldry for all the chapters unfortunately. The only thing we can use to determine whether official successors follow the codex astartes heraldry or the blood angels heraldry is their right pauldron.

Angels Sanguine, Flesh Tearers, Blood Drinkers and Lamenters have their Battlefield role designation on their right shoulder pad so there would be no point to colour their helmets like Blood Angels do.

Angels Encarmine, Carmine Blades, Angels Vermillion and Knights of the Chalice have their company designation on their right shoulder pad so it's likely they colour their helmets to designate their battlefield role like Blood Angels do.

In the 5ed codex there is an Angels Sanguine Veteran with a golden helmet (but Smurf vets also have other colour, so it may be within the limits of the Codex Astartes) , an Angels Vermillion jump pack with a yellow helmet, while an Angels Encarmine one has a red helmet. And so, the plot thickens...

In the 5ed codex there is an Angels Sanguine Veteran with a golden helmet (but Smurf vets also have other colour, so it may be within the limits of the Codex Astartes) , an Angels Vermillion jump pack with a yellow helmet, while an Angels Encarmine one has a red helmet. And so, the plot thickens...

Well things change a lot over the years. I just went with what we can see in the 8th edition Codex. 5th edition is fairly old by now. :sweat: