30k Hobby Chat

My Deathguard “just a small quick force” continues to grow…

I’m working on getting everything up to decals/chipping before I go into detail work.   

I’m also printing up more drop pods for an Orbital Assault list.   5 Dreadclaws and 4 regular pods are sitting in a jumbled pile on my dinner table waiting for me to be inspired to do something with them.   

IMG_7597.jpeg

IMG_7619.jpeg

IMG_7639.jpeg

IMG_7582.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Great - I thought I was being clever but in fact I managed to kitbash a Praevian … a character that requires the purchase of several other large and expensive models to fulfil his potential. Oh - and another Liber … :facepalm:

Edited by TheArtilleryman

19 hours ago, TheArtilleryman said:

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Great - I thought I was being clever but in fact I managed to kitbash a Praevian … a character that requires the purchase of several other large and expensive models to fulfil his potential. Oh - and another Liber … :facepalm:

Well, better. You have made half of the way. And some things are like condoms,better have and not need than need and not have...

And this is what I’ve been working on today. The joy of having a big box of stuff is being able to flit about and create something new almost every week.

I wanted to equip some of the MK IV Calth space marines with the Volkite Calivers from the MK VI special weapon sprues. I was thinking I’d have to do a lot of arm chopping to make them work, but then I remembered that because I built a Mk VI assault squad with the resin CC weapons, I had a set of 10 pairs of arms spare to be able to use with the guns:

IMG_3993.thumb.jpeg.d1226be8cc13b66456102dc524de0d74.jpeg

Amazingly, they are a perfect fit! They’re a bit more fiddly than they are on the MK VI marines because they don’t have the little bumps to connect with the notches in the arms, but the sizes work great. I think they make a big difference to the poses on the older models - they look a lot more dynamic than they do with the original arms.

Here’s the whole squad:

IMG_3994.thumb.jpeg.96a8ab114c29c46747954ec34380e48f.jpeg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pearson73 said:

Oof those choom lads look great @TheArtilleryman, as you say, the arms help make the poses a lot more interesting. If not a Praevian, you could use that officer as a Mortifactor?

Thanks for the kind words @calgar101, @WAR

Haha choom - nice noise choice! Personally though, I always think “whoosh,” as in:

”Maybe one day we’ll capture a fighting machine eh? Then whoosh! With our heat ray! Whoosh! And them running and dying! Man on top again!”

Just channeling my inner, you know, Artilleryman … :cool:

Ooh and mortifactor is a nice idea, especially as I have all those dreadnoughts … 

Edited by TheArtilleryman

On 6/1/2024 at 12:43 PM, LameBeard said:

Is that a whole 10-man squad of twin-alchem hand flamers with jump packs? It’s enough to make a man want to start a Death Guard army.  If only my Alpha Legion could steal that load out …

They were one of the main inspirations for me to start this collection!  I ran afoul of a list running 20 of them at LVO this year and they were really cool.

On 6/3/2024 at 1:59 AM, Cruor Vault said:

I ran afoul of a list running 20 of them at LVO this year and they were really cool.

Oooof! You’re showing restraint by only having 10! 

On 6/4/2024 at 11:08 AM, LameBeard said:

Oooof! You’re showing restraint by only having 10! 

The former 40K player in me REALLY wanted to replicate the list...

But I didnt think my local group would enjoy 20 lascannons, 10 MM, 20 destroyers, Telepathy and a Jump Pack commmand squad lol...

4 hours ago, calgar101 said:

Nope not bad at all haha! Great job, what's your blue recipe?

Thanks! It's quite simple really, over a black primer I airbrush Macragge Blue in a few thin coats, then highlight with Lothern Blue. Then I use the AK Interactive Panel Liner for Blue & Grey as a pin wash and a filter. On a vehicle like this, I might go back after the highlight stage and airbrush some Drakenhoff Nightshade into the deep shadows. Will also pick out a few raised edged with the Lothen Blue, prior to the wash stage. Use GW acrylics largely so that I have an exact colour watch to do any touch-ups with a brush.

I used to pre-shade with Tamiya Flat White, but have found that the blue is such a strong colour that it basically makes no difference. Though next time I'm painting a really big vehicle or a character, I'll probably experiment with it again. Can be useful even just to block in your highlights using it on a particularly detailed model, even if it won't properly show through at the end.