30k Hobby Chat

Well it would be launcher and other arm guns iirc we are missing just the lascannon arms? So they should get us another set of arms but what? 

Posted (edited)

And another new kitbash for this week. My box of fun stuff included the model for Garviel Loken, but as I don’t fancy a Luna Wolves army and there was no Abaddon or diorama in the box to make a display piece, I decided to have a mess around with him:

IMG_4009.thumb.jpeg.1afbb70bc89edd0b53a4f7b1e88258bc.jpegIMG_4010.thumb.jpeg.7a6798bb78a3afccd3311add06b03ecc.jpeg

No idea what army this guy will fit into but he definitely has legion champion vibes to me. He feels like an Ultramarine or Imperial Fist, rather than an Iron Warrior or Raven Guard. Will have to have a think… 

Edited by TheArtilleryman

You know what you’ve given me an idea … in Deliverance Lost, a contingent of Imperial Fists led by Captain Noriz deliver the MK VI armour to the Raven Guard and then fight alongside them in a series of engagements … I’m feeling an allied detachment coming on…

Posted (edited)

Idea goes great with you having the Imperial Fists hated enemies in the Iron Warriors 

and With

Edited by WAR

23 hours ago, calgar101 said:

Loving those Rapiers and crew.

@TheArtilleryman What route have you gone down for your yellow?

I haven’t yet but I’m going to try this:

Starting with black because I have a squad already primed black.

Duncan makes it sound very easy but I am managing my expectations …

Excuse the poor photo's, photography and patience are not my greatest strengths. I have been posting lots (most active I've ever been) but not shown any of my hobby really. Over the last week or so, I have slowly been putting together the models from the Betrayal of Calth sets I bought way back when.

I have built 15 cataphractii terminators, 100 power armour Astartes (some to finish off) and looking at previous models from an eBay purchase a few years back. The Emperor's Children project will be shelved as I can't remember what purple I used, I've always used a mix of GW and Army Painter paints. Having been out of the hobby for 2 years, my paints being neglected and up to 5 years old in some cases, I threw them out as I wasn't happy with them. 

I will be buying some paints at the end of the month from my local shop (I always try to shop local) once I have decided what I am actually doing. I am torn between a few legions; Raven Guard, Imperial Fists, Iron Hands and Ultramarines.

Due to finding my unbuilt Corax and Fafnir Rann models, the Imperial Fists and Raven Guard are edging out in front.

Sorry for the long post, here are some photos.

20240611_160731.jpg

20240611_161024.jpg

20240611_162133.jpg

20240611_163625.jpg

@calgar101 great collection and that is really the hard choice between those 2 legions. I struggled between those 2 and ultimately went Raven Guard as an easier paint scheme. I really was afraid to paint yellow and a lot of it. I kinda wish I did go IF to have Dorn next to a ton of Custodes would look awesome. 

@WAR Thank you very much! Yeah, every one knows the challenges painting yellow can be and that is making me hesitant, but I am watching lots of tutorials etc, whilst having more free time due to being out of work, I'm researching painting as much as I can. I feel it will be the Imperia Fists who I go with, as my Horus Heresy model backlog is far suited to an army of them, or at least, an army of them I'd build. I've read all the novels and a Siege of Terra force is what my head and heart want; I am thinking dogged survivors of different companies, all having fallen back to the same location, I'll paint my Typhon yellow and have a nice big model to centre the army around until I can get Dorn.

14 hours ago, calgar101 said:

Excuse the poor photo's, photography and patience are not my greatest strengths. I have been posting lots (most active I've ever been) but not shown any of my hobby really. Over the last week or so, I have slowly been putting together the models from the Betrayal of Calth sets I bought way back when.

I have built 15 cataphractii terminators, 100 power armour Astartes (some to finish off) and looking at previous models from an eBay purchase a few years back. The Emperor's Children project will be shelved as I can't remember what purple I used, I've always used a mix of GW and Army Painter paints. Having been out of the hobby for 2 years, my paints being neglected and up to 5 years old in some cases, I threw them out as I wasn't happy with them. 

I will be buying some paints at the end of the month from my local shop (I always try to shop local) once I have decided what I am actually doing. I am torn between a few legions; Raven Guard, Imperial Fists, Iron Hands and Ultramarines.

Due to finding my unbuilt Corax and Fafnir Rann models, the Imperial Fists and Raven Guard are edging out in front.

Sorry for the long post, here are some photos.

20240611_160731.jpg

20240611_161024.jpg

20240611_162133.jpg

20240611_163625.jpg

Very exciting! Gotta love a huge pile of potential :)

Only one I would say don’t is Iron Hands because they might feel too similar to your Iron Warriors. I nearly said Ultras because I don’t feel like I see as many in the heresy armies, but seeing as you have those characters it makes sense to use them. 

It’s awesome that you have so many Calth sets because you get all those upgrades too so you can build a whole bunch of different heavy/special weapon squads as well, and even command squads and veterans, and still have plenty of bolter guys left. I wish I could find a Prospero set for cheap but everyone’s charging £200+ for those.

Edited by TheArtilleryman

Thank you, definitely have to see it as a pile of potential! Yeah, that is a good point regarding the Iron Hands, an idea of mine was to do a Shattered Legion force but that can be done much further down the road.

I hadn't realised just how many I had, it was definitely a good box set. A few of the HH weapon sets and another box of tacticals or some such, and I'm basically done, just add vehicles and characters slowly I think.

An Ultramarine force will be something I'd love to do and will do at some point, although the 13th are a very strong dark horse currently. Whilst I still have models to finish and have to wait to get paint, I don't have to rush just yet.

My ultimate goal is an army of each legion (I am mad, yes) but have to be smart right now and one task at a time!

Edit: I got given some bits from the Prospero set, but I too regret not getting a box or 3 when it was out.

Edited by calgar101
Forgot something