30k Hobby Chat

In rivet counting terms, the M36 backpack, (late?) MkVII helmet, and MkVII plain pauldron are post HH patterns. The rest is fine except for the Godwyn/Ultima bolter, which is in a somewhat grey area: It's also a iconic post HH weapon, BUT Ultima pattern boltguns appear in a few HH illustrations and background art.

Take a look at the FW alpha legion praetor for an official mini with the same combination of legs and torso types.

Thanks Iansalt - that is the kind of feedback I was looking for.  I had forgotten that the Bolters were also era specific and I'm going to have to take another look at Mk. V helmets to get my head around the difference, and I need to look more into pouldrons.

I did the second pass and assembled it anyway to have a test model done as a reference.  

IMG_20240902_212439.jpg

IMG_20240902_212318.jpg

Edited by SlickSamos

Yeah the Godwyn bolters are available during the Heresy, remember later developments are the exception rather than the rule. Its an awkward angle but arent those mk 6 legs? Even mk7 is issued during the siege of terra so it could work depending on when your mini is fighting technically, though mk7 is very much the look of the scouring onwards really, if thats all the parts you have a beak is fairly easy to sculpt though i think ive missed your intro to the project :) 

Oh and you can create a fairly decent mk5 helmet by adding symmetrical studs to a mk7, i built a bunch back in the day using model railway rivets but you can also use tiny spheres or a bunch of other ideas, essentially though you drill a small hole to guide and glue whatever stud material you have in. My old photos are lost but i suspect a variety of tutorials are still out there! 

Thanks Noserenda, I found a tutorial for adding 'bonding studs' to armour here: https://drownedinplastic.blogspot.com/2012/03/modelling-tutorial-making-studded-armor.html?m=1

The aim of the project is to use lots of bits I already have by modifying them and here are a few more bits

IMG_20240903_202354.jpg

(L-R) Mk. VII given a Mk. V esq set of mandibles; Mk.?? DA veteran head with removed iconography; and, Ravenwing Techmarine type head from the old upgrade sprue

IMG_20240903_201943.jpg

(L-R): removed two of the three cables to give it a Mk. V look without cross strap; and, on the other two, filled in the gap in the chest to give them more of a Mk. IV feel

IMG_20240903_201907.jpg

Squared off the knees to make it look more Mk. IV

Edited by SlickSamos
Captions

if you want to transform MkVII helmets, into MkIV for example, this can be helpful:

https://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2012/11/how-to-convert-space-marine-mk4-helmet.html?m=1

For Mk V try this. I think is even easier:

https://masteroftheforge.com/2010/05/30/tutorial-making-a-mark-v-helm/

I Started trying to refine my Night Lords paint scheme. Tried Making it less dark blue and didn't like the results, it reminded me too much of Ultramarines (which I paint for 40k). From left to right, the 1st marine was my test mini primed black, the 2nd I tried using white primer, and the 3rd and 4th are the refined scheme with white primer, the blue is a bit less dark, but the detail is lost to the camera. I'm calling it done, I'm satisfied with the result. The lightning is a wip, but since I will have to paint a lot, eventually I will get the hang of it.

large.001update.jpg.eb34957257f5b1979decc56d4e5e6b0f.jpg

I already have plans for the night raptors, sergeants and special characters, I will make them some flayed skin, add some skulls which I'm gonna cannibalize from some dark eldar kits that I have in my backlog and use the terror squad heads. Anyone else noticed the terror heads upgrade is sold out online at GWs site?

I had previous plans to make my own decals, but after further research, I think I will end up buying the official one. Making my own would require me to find a print shop that has a printer with a white toner, and I haven't been successful so far. I have been looking at the breakdown of the Night Lords Transfer sheet (Thanks to  @No Foes Remain who uploaded a copy here), and for infantry there seems to be 3 sizes of decals for the pauldrons, I will call them bigger, medium and small. The small one I'm pretty sure is for Cataphractii, right? So, the others are for regular infantry marines? I can justify to myself buying just one right now, I would need like 47 decals for the pauldrons of regular infantry.

I've had fun building Recon marines.  My original plan was to use the old Cadian legs but the belt is on the torso of the Cadian and the belt is also on the legs of the Scout!  So I had to do some trimming.

I then thought hang on I'm using two kits - I could just do a skirt on my scouts as my first sculpting project.  Then had fun loading up the power pack with some bits from a butchered IG vox and biker bits.

IMG_20240908_174236.jpg

Original plan - note the sliver of belt I had to trim off to make it work (excuse the blutac)

IMG_20240908_174249.jpg

First pass on the skirt

IMG_20240908_173528.jpg

Loaded up power pack

Edited by SlickSamos
Captions

One of the tips on the Siege Studios podcast was to use transfers as a guide and paint over them in whatever colour you like, so then it's like free-hand lite.

Another thought would be to use a light grey or beige instead of a white? 

That's a good idea gonna try that, thanks!