What Color is Baalite Sand?

The Unseen

Actual question, can't find a dark red pre colored sand I like, so what color or color combo would make a good Baalite sand, that also vaguely contrasts flesh tearer red (my primary army color)

Obviously its subjective, just looking for some opinions/ideas.

That question comes up every few months I feel. There's no clear description, however we know that big parts are salt wastes which would be white-ish. So I'd go either with white-ish or with red-ish (because Baal = blood = red .... you know how the 40k setting works :sweat: ).

Yeah, in my head I picture Baalite sand to look almost the same as Mars. Don’t really know why I came to that conclusion, but that’s how it exists according to my own head cannon. I’ve read descriptions over the years of Baal and that’s how it exists in my mind, having said that though, Saul Tarvitz was previewed the other day and he looks completely different to how I imagined him. Sometimes a miniature comes out and ends up looking the way I imagined the after reading about them in a novel or other work of fiction sometimes completely different. But yeah I always imagined Baal, at least the planet, not so much the moons which I pictured to look more like traditional deserts foun on Earth, to look like Mars.

Sand on Baal and Baal Secundus is described as red Devastation of Baal and Dante respectively. It might be due to the light of the Red Scar. 

Have you checked google graphics for "red sand"? Interesting things come up: from the sand red-colored by the setting sun, through the reddish iron heavy sands to the really orange red sands in Jordania.

Baal.jpg

From the wiki:

In ancient days Baal and its moons all had Earth-like atmospheres. Baal itself was always a world of rust-red deserts much like Mars but its moons were paradises for mortal men, where their people lived in harmony with nature and pursued lives of ease and freedom.

So lots of rust red/iron/ferrous deserts, red, caking to your boots. The moons appear darker, though still irradiated, which makes me think more basaltic rocks as the crust was probably melted during the nuclear war during Old Night - you'd have black sands like on Hawaii, some white alkaline rocks, probably quite similar to our own moon. 

With the size of Baal and having two moons, it should really still be tectonically active, like earth, but it seems to have ceased t be and is just there, rusting in space. Makes you wonder whether it was always a cursed world. 

Edited by Xenith