So which HQ units can take a bike these days?

appiah4

I realize that since GW got really anal with equipment choices that don't have an associated model a lot of bike HQs got the axe.  I will be converting a Ravenwing bike into an HQ soon (Priest, Chaplain or Librarian) but I would rather convert it into something that has actual rules.  Which units have a bike option these days?

Pretty sure they're all just legends or via the index now.

Yup. All bike HQs/Characters outside of the Captain/Khan on Bike (Codex: Space Marines only) are Legends now.

Which means they still have rules... Unless you're a player who only plays tournaments

Edited by Gederas

Ok, I guess I can stick to my original plan of a Librarian On Bike then, seeing as I have only an Infantry Librarian.  What is a decent loadout for one these days?  Back in 7E I was thinking of using the relic plasma pistol.

I'd say that a plasma on a character with no re-rolls is a poor choice - most of the time you will fear to overcharge (and rightly so) so why bother?

IMO in terms of shooting, Storm Bolter is a great thing - you will always be able to rapid-fire as you're a biker. If you want more OOMPH, take the Inferno pistol or the combi-melta.

Storm bolter or combi flamer. With the storm bolter he gets 8 shots at 24", same firepower as a tactical squad) with the combi flamer he gets 6 at 24" and can advance and shoot the flamer if needs be. 

3 bikes and character with 2xflamer+2xcombifamer turboboosting can go 20" then get something with 4d6 flamer shots, or go 14" and 4d6 flame shots along with 16+ bolter shots. 

I'd also go force axe so he wounds MEQ on 2+. 14" bike move + wings + quickening turns him into a small missile with up to 9A on turn 3. You could move 14", jump 12" over bubble wrap, flame and bolter something, then assault them. 

Actually, I'm making that model ASAP. 

Edited by Xenith

The 7E relic plasma pistol did not overheat IIRC.  That was my original plan.

As for the Storm Bolter, why would I want that, the bike itself has TL Boltguns?

In 8th, a model can fire either: all non pistol weapons it is armed with OR All pistol weapons it is armed with.

If it has the twin bolters on the bike and a storm bolter, then it can fire both. With the bolter discipline rule, bikes can rapid fire at max range at all times. As combi/storm/twin bolters are now rapid fire 2, they get 4 shots each. 

Naturally, rule of cool trumps all, but it's one reason why bikes are cool these days. Scout bikes ahve twin bolters and a shotgun each, getting 6 shots at 12", 10 for the serge if you swap a weapon for a combi.

Edited by Xenith

Storm bolter or combi flamer. With the storm bolter he gets 8 shots at 24", same firepower as a tactical squad) with the combi flamer he gets 6 at 24" and can advance and shoot the flamer if needs be. 

3 bikes and character with 2xflamer+2xcombifamer turboboosting can go 20" then get something with 4d6 flamer shots, or go 14" and 4d6 flame shots along with 16+ bolter shots. 

I'd also go force axe so he wounds MEQ on 2+. 14" bike move + wings + quickening turns him into a small missile with up to 9A on turn 3. You could move 14", jump 12" over bubble wrap, flame and bolter something, then assault them. 

Actually, I'm making that model ASAP. 

:huh.::eek::eek:

Cheers for that. I need to rethink how I use mine now :eek: