Chimera variants.

calgar101

I was reading details on Imperial Guard vehicles on 40kfandom.com and came across this.

In the Chimera description was this nugget of information;

There are three specific close variants of the Chimera; the Chimedon, Chimerax and Chimerro. The Chimedon replaces the gun turret weapon with a Battlecannon, while the Chimerax has four linked Autocannons in the turret. The Chimerro is a standard pattern Chimera with a Hunter-Killer Missile Launcher mounted on the turret in addition to the Multilaser.

I have read lots of 40k codexes/Imperial Armour books etc and never came across this. I'm a fan of these variations however, any one have more information?

Thank you for all the replies. Yes this entry left me scratching my head. Years ago I saw some one put a predator turret on a chimera, it had the auto cannon. This was them making their own light tank not a chimera variant.

The 3rd variant Chimerro can already be made so really shouldn't be a variant? Unless you add a super vox system and make it a Guard version of the Damocles command tank?

I started to think about rules for the Chimedon and Chimerrax.

Chimedon would not have a standard battle cannon but a smaller one, an Eradicator cannon possibly? Or a new cannon that is weaker and shorter range. Also the transport capacity would be halved or removed.

Chimerrax I think would be a chimera but with a turret similar to the quad cannon from the aegis defence terrain set. Maybe have transport to just 10?

In the future I am going to add sole to my army, definitely a few chimerrax!

Yeah that's a good point about the Taurox, not really ever looked at them so didn't realise they can have those weapons. I'm not a big fan of the models of I'm honest.

The Imperial Guard could have so much more depth of vehicles. I've always wanted a lager variety of vehicle chassis.

Well with how points are these days you could literally just pay for the battle cannon on the chimera and use its stats if your opponent is OK with that

Arguably paying full price for battle cannon a chimera chassis is too much as the chassis isn't as durable and doesn't get the grinding advance rule....

This is actually tempting me to try this :sweat:

I wonder if one of the Victoria Minatures or other third parties have a tank that could be suitable :D

Me and my group are pretty relaxed at custom rules, we know how to balance them fairly well and have been creating cool units for years. As stated earlier I was thinking of making a new kind of battle cannon or using rules for an Eradicator cannon. This tank is more rule of cool than winning.

Definitely have to look around at various bits companies for this.

Legionary heavy assault cannon parts from Kromlech would work I think.

https://bitsofwar.com/home/806-legionary-assault-tank-turret-heavy-autocannon.html

Or this from Mortian. https://mortian.shop/product/medium-tank-tankhunter-turret-25mm/

Edited by calgar101

So this is how the cannon turret looks on top of the Chimera. I figure leave out the Lasguns, create a box on the top of the Chimera for the turret to sit on and cover up the Chimera turret hole. Have the turret forward a little bit but I like the look of a rear turret tank. 

Edit: Maybe also a longer barrel. Realized firing above the driver wouldn't be all that fun.

chimeracannon

Edited by Kriegsmacht

While Forgeworld produced variants for the chimera there were rules for a single autocannon chimera (like the salamander scout tank) and a twin linked heavy Bolter chimera. Specifically the tanks referenced above, the name chimerax was likely the name they gave to a custom conversion from way back in the third edition codex that featured a chimera command tank with quad autocannons. They had a nice picture of it in the ‘eavy metal section of the codex. I’m at work presently but given a few minutes I will find and post it. Edit: found it!

gallery_209737_16260_47123.jpg

Edited by MedicMike0708

I also like the top one- slightly undersized cannon for 40k, but considering the lack of Grinding Advance, it would pack only half the punch, so that fits. The bottom one looks a bit too much like a Leman Russ, as the turret + cannon are so prominent that at a glance you barely notice the Chimera chassis.

That old school command tank is amazing. I miss the days when official GW stuff used elements from kits that were not their own.

Another alterative is the VM Kangaroo with Matilda cannons

https://victoriaminiatures.com/products/kangaroo-apc

Kangaroo-color-insta_1000x.jpg

matilda-boss-color_1000x.jpg

Best part is they are interchangeable and you can just buy the turret or cannons

Edit:

The Kangaroo with battle cannons might already be in my Web cart :sweat:

Edited by duz_

I saw those Victoria models but didn't realise the turrets could be bought separately, this what happens when you browse half asleep!

I'm going to check out Blood and Skulls Industry again, they have good parts too.

Maybe those of us interested could take part in a mini conversion challenge for a chimera?

While Forgeworld produced variants for the chimera there were rules for a single autocannon chimera (like the salamander scout tank) and a twin linked heavy Bolter chimera. Specifically the tanks referenced above, the name chimerax was likely the name they gave to a custom conversion from way back in the third edition codex that featured a chimera command tank with quad autocannons. They had a nice picture of it in the ‘eavy metal section of the codex. I’m at work presently but given a few minutes I will find and post it. Edit: found it!

gallery_209737_16260_47123.jpg

If I remember right that was done by Fred Reed.

Yes it was Fred Reed, as is the custom Orgyn, Nork half-seen on the adjacent picture. Sorry about the photo quality and the lack of crediting him, it’s a photo of a photo so the upload is grainy at best. Really fantastic conversion work.

I was just remembering is all. I actually met him once a few years ago and this was the model I kinda fanboyed over, while he more or less shrugged and explained he'd just stuffed another kin into the back of the chimers. I know there's been some strangeness, as I found out today while double checking the name, surrounding his work and another guys, who I may have also met years and years ago.. BoLS comments drams a few years old.  Wasn't calling you out or anything! This is one of those models I first saw in the WD way back when I was starting out, always going to be cool...Forever! 

I may have to buy a chimera now.  

Edit. 

And by that I mean at some point over the summer. Still trying to hit some savings goals this year. and my Chimera will probably cost twice what a box set costs. (As expected.)

Edited by Warhead01