Plasma Pistols on Sergeants?

holydiver

Hey y'all,

I know this topic has come up, but as I sit here working up my first platoon while listening to MordianGlory's fine

, I find myself anxiously considering my infantry sergeants' loadouts.  I have two and a half built and painted with bolters, but considering I know I want to run them as Tallarn with a plasma gun as the special weapon and no heavy weapon, I'm thinking about swapping the bolters for plasma pistols.  My thinking was that with bolters I would be able to sub in a heavy weapons team and also run them with a shooty doctrine, and also that having every weapon with 24" range would simplify my tactical decisions.  But now, I'm thinking that I'm going to end up within 12" more often than not and that extra plasma shot would really contribute to the output of the squad.

So what do y'all think?  Any experience running the double-plasma?  Should I go safe and future-proof or more dakka?  I'm sure the bolter sergeants will find a place in another platoon eventually if I decide to replace them.

Plasma pistols might be a good idea.  I never used to upgrade very much past maybe one or two officers but that was previous editions. For myself at this time I have only been thinking about a power fist/sword for Sgts. But haven't really given it much though.  I guess it also comes down to your playstyle.  I expect to attempt to cross the table and I expect to be engaged in close combat by turn two, my bad luck.  

Generally spending on sergeant for cheap units that don't last long isn't what I'd recommend, but exceptions like this are more viable. Some sneaky Tallarn are more likely get to a shot or two in, and given their likely role this could make all the difference. I don't recommend wholesale upgrades and combat weapons are more niche, as those points can very quickly add up to another infantry squad... :P

That's what I'm thinking.  Although I actually prefer the look of the bolters.  Fluff-wise I'm saying my regiment uses combined squads exclusively, so a platoon is composed of two groups of twenty men with two bolters and two plasma guns each.  Now it'll be two plasma pistols and two plasma guns, which I feel makes the presence of two sergeants, or sergeant and corporal, somewhat conspicuous.  One plasma pistol and one bolter would be fluffy for my situation but seems like it would be awkward to play with.

The points do add up, but you have to take 8 squads to have them add up to the cost of a whole squad.  Actually, if I'm sold on bolters, then it's really a 4-point upgrade, which makes it 10 squads.

However, niche exploit=not future-proof.  I really want to build for rule-of-cool and let the rules catch up to me :cool.:  But when I think about that extra plasma shot at 12"...  If they were Steel Legion in chimeras they'd be getting bolter and plasma gun for sure, it's only Tallarn making me favor this build.  I think I'll repaint these Sgts for a future garrison company which was gonna be plain vanilla but maybe they need a touch of flair.  Plenty of lasgun troopers to work on for now so I have time to weigh the pros and cons.

That's what I'm thinking.  Although I actually prefer the look of the bolters.  Fluff-wise I'm saying my regiment uses combined squads exclusively, so a platoon is composed of two groups of twenty men with two bolters and two plasma guns each.  Now it'll be two plasma pistols and two plasma guns, which I feel makes the presence of two sergeants, or sergeant and corporal, somewhat conspicuous.  One plasma pistol and one bolter would be fluffy for my situation but seems like it would be awkward to play with.

The points do add up, but you have to take 8 squads to have them add up to the cost of a whole squad.  Actually, if I'm sold on bolters, then it's really a 4-point upgrade, which makes it 10 squads.

However, niche exploit=not future-proof.  I really want to build for rule-of-cool and let the rules catch up to me :cool.:  But when I think about that extra plasma shot at 12"...  If they were Steel Legion in chimeras they'd be getting bolter and plasma gun for sure, it's only Tallarn making me favor this build.  I think I'll repaint these Sgts for a future garrison company which was gonna be plain vanilla but maybe they need a touch of flair.  Plenty of lasgun troopers to work on for now so I have time to weigh the pros and cons.

I had a thought along some of those lines. Mostly it's importiant to have a way to put those weapons into play and not just deploy and remove those models. Granted, Guardsmen. 

Was thinking armoured fist squads or anything to let you either set up where you wanted to operate, transport or combine squads to protect the valuable models.  Sad that I miss the IG boat last edition for the 50 strong blob. My own bad luck I guess. 

But I do agree with the rule of cool. The oll' well painted mini's are dead ard' on the table top. When in doubt you can bring a sacrificial lamb(Almost said Sandwich)  as a distraction. Turn up the heat and keep the pressure on. 

I give all my sergeants powerswords and you would be shocked how many times they will kill a space marine or two and suprise my opponent (once had a squad of scions beat a squad of Harlequins in close combat) and I like to give my small plasma spam Scion squads a plasmapistol as the D2 really adds up fast against things like dreadnoughts or carnifexs