Iwo Jima Diorama

I managed to get on ebay years ago the flag and part of the base for the "Iwo Jima" skullz programme. Over the past few weeks, from my bits box, I have created the Blood Angel, Dark Angel and the body of the Ultramarine. 

1055935_sm-Iwo%20Jima%201.JPG

1055936_sm-Iwo%20Jima%202.JPG

1055938_sm-Iwo%20Jima%204.JPG

I finished off the base by adding some skulls  and scultping with milliput. I'm awaiting a Tactical Shoulder pad from a bits supplier so I can finish off the Dark Angel.

As I enjoyed painting different colour schemes to my usual Deathwatch and Legion of the Dead Chapters, I thought about what I could do to add to the Iwo Jima diorama....... adding one marine from the remaining Loyalist First Founding Chapters!!!!

To do this, I will need to increase the base size......

1056964_sm-Iwo%20Jima%20WIP%201.JPG

So I found this base and with milliput, some resin skulls and spent shell cases, I will proceed to make a bigger diorama.

Here are a couple of the new marines I have created so far...

1056966_sm-Iwo%20Jima%20Space%20Wolves%2

Space Wolves - I don't have the necessary paint to start this yet and the online shops I normally use, do not have any stock left. I'll have to leave this model until I can get some Russ and Fenrisian Grey. I've ordered a 3d printed left shoulder pad from ebay and I'm awaiting delivery on this.

Black Templars - I know they are not from the First Founding BUT I've always wanted to paint a Black Templar, so I used a Dark Angel Body and legs with Black Templar arms. I've undercoated and shaded the tunic. I'll paint this over the next few days. I have 2 Black Templar shoulder pads on order as well.

1056969_sm-Iwo%20Jima%20Ravenguard.JPG

Ravenguard - I added some raptor claws to his feet to give it a more "avian" feel to this marine. I have a shoulder pad on order and am debating what type of jet pack I should have for this marine.

1056970_sm-Iwo%20Jima%20Imperial%20Fist%

Imperial Fist - I hate painting yellow and even with the contrast paint, I'm not 100% happy with this marine. I have some mk III legs on order and will add those once received.

I also am in the process of making a Missile Launcher wielding Iron Hand, a Multi Melta Salamander and an Assault/Tactical Mk III White Scar. I hope to update this thread as and when I complete some more progress. Till next time...

cool idea :smile.:

Thanks ranulf the revenant for your comment :)

Update time:

I finished the Imperial Fist - Can I say again how much I hate painting yellow!

1058391_sm-Iwo%20Jima%20Imperial%20Fist.

I was going to weather the feet and shield, but in the end, I chickened out!

1058392_sm-Iwo%20Jima%20Imperial%20Fist%

I woke up early yesterday morning and with a lot of milliput I made the groundwork.

1058394_sm-Iwo%20Jima%20WIP%205.JPG

I smoothed it out to remove finger prints and then using a sculpting tool, got to this stage....

1058402_sm-Iwo%20Jima%20WIP%2013.JPG

Over the years, I have built up quite a collection of "interesting" bits. I saw on eBay 100 Resin skulls and thought I could use them on future projects along with spent bullet cases. I added these around the base to match the original Iwo Jima base.

A base coat of Zandri Dust...

1058403_sm-.JPG

...followed by a wash of Army Painter Dark Tone (it dried gloss like eventhough I shaked the bottle!?!?!?)…..

1058404_sm-.JPG

…..followed by a drybrushing of Flayed one.

1058405_sm-.JPG

I went over the skulls with Wraithbone and a wash of Skeleton Horde contrast paint and picked out the spent cases with some old gold to finish the base off.

1058406_sm-.JPG

This is what the diorama will look like (when I get around to finish painting the rest of the marines)…

1058398_sm-Iwo%20Jima%20WIP%209.JPG

The Salamander with the Multi Melta has had a Devastator symbol sculpted on his right shoulder pad. The Space Wolve marine will have a tactical squad marking added to their right shoulder pad.

1058397_sm-Iwo%20Jima%20WIP%208.JPG

The Space Wolves marine has had a Chapter badge from a 3d printer on eBay added to his left shoulder pad. Both the Ravenguard and White Scar need backpacks - The Ravenguard will get a jetpack but I'm struggling to find a mk iii backpack for the White Scar (all my usual bits sellers are out of stock and I can't find any on eBay at the moment).

1058401_sm-Iwo%20Jima%20WIP%2012.JPG

I added both the shield and sword from the White Scar Bike rider from the Deathwatch Kill Team and a suitable ornate helmet. I'm toying with having red tribal markings on his right leg. As you can see, I've painted his legs, just the top half to go on this White Scar marine.

1058400_sm-Iwo%20Jima%20WIP%2011.JPG

The Iron Hands is equipped with a missile launcher. His Chapter shoulder pad is from my bits box.

Even though I finished painting my Black Templar, there wasn't enough room to squeeze another marine onto the diorama, so as he wasn't from the First Founding, I left him off. I need to get paint to start both the Space Wolves and Salamander but finding them online has been tricky. I understand GW online is now working again, so I'll need to pay a little visit there.

Till next time.

Fun project and really cool concept idea from the old skullz set there. Maybe change the Sallies position little bit; facing him outwards pulling guard duty; as it looks like he is about to melta the DA right in the back! I’d just vary their directions a bit around the circle as it is very static and strange how they all appear currently. Maybe nothing drastic; just angle some of them more in how they are staring around the flag.

The IF, SW, and Sallie can be pulling over watch, and maybe the IH too. The Scar should be turned so his too knot is in the same wind direction as the flag...

Overal Good stuff; 75 years since Iwo Jima, and a proper tribute!

Edited by Yosef Hausakluif

• 1 month later...

Fun project and really cool concept idea from the old skullz set there. Maybe change the Sallies position little bit; facing him outwards pulling guard duty; as it looks like he is about to melta the DA right in the back! I’d just vary their directions a bit around the circle as it is very static and strange how they all appear currently. Maybe nothing drastic; just angle some of them more in how they are staring around the flag.

The IF, SW, and Sallie can be pulling over watch, and maybe the IH too. The Scar should be turned so his too knot is in the same wind direction as the flag...

Overal Good stuff; 75 years since Iwo Jima, and a proper tribute!

Thanks Yosef for your comments. I've taken your feedback on board and converted the Whites Scar's plume and will turn the Salamander around 180 degrees when I finally get around to painting him.

Update time:

I've finished 3 more Space Marines (White Scar, Raven Guard and Iron Hands) - For some reason, I haven't added the Raven Guard in these update shots:

1064517_sm-Expanded%20Iwo%20Jima%20WIP%2

1064518_sm-Expanded%20Iwo%20Jima%20WIP%2

1064519_sm-Expanded%20Iwo%20Jima%20WIP%2

I converted the White Scar's Helmet Plume to flow in the same direction as the flag.

1064520_sm-Expanded%20Iwo%20Jima%20WIP%2

And finally, my paints from GW took 3 weeks to get here so small amount of progress on the Salamander.

1064563_sm-Extended%20Iwo%20Jima%20Salam

Flames are done on the left leg. I'm not looking forward to all of the Moot Green edge highlighting though :sad.:

Till next time, Brother Morgan.

• 3 weeks later...

Your Iwo Jima diorama is coming along nicely. It's an absolutely inspiring idea:yes:

Good for the loyalist Legions/Chapters to display some unity in deed and spirit.

Thanks Brother Lunkhead and Bjorn Firewalker for your comments.

I managed to finish my homage to Iwo Jima:

1066851_sm-Iwo%20Jima%20Finished%201.JPG

1066852_sm-Iwo%20Jima%20Finished%202.JPG

I freehanded (not sure if that's a real word!) the Space Wolves Shoulder Pad which I enjoyed. The edge highlighting is soul destroying!!

1066853_sm-Iwo%20Jima%20Finished%203.JPG

Let me introduce "Bjorn"....

You can see the Salamander's Devastator Shoulder Pad from ebay in this shot as well.

1066854_sm-Iwo%20Jima%20Finished%204.JPG

1066855_sm-Iwo%20Jima%20Finished%205.JPG

Time to move onto new projects now.