Your top three kits in need of an update

Red_Shift

Generic Guard infantry. Catachans, while dated, are kinda the weakest visuals by concept of any Guard regiment and have the worst cross-compatability of bits. Ideally, either "greatcoat guard" steel legion or something "generic" enough to kitbash, ie: pants, flak armour, sleeves without shoulderpads, and a helmet.

Pipe dream is a regiment that takes its design cues from the OOP Elysians. Angular armour and sleek design.

Chaos god-marines: Berserkers and Noise Marines.

Ork boys.

Bonus round: Inquisition. Anything that isn't a specific character for Inquisition effectively doesn't exist atm.

The Necron warriors are honestly ridiculously good for their age and can easily be kitbashed. Do you really want to pay twice as much for a potentially worse kit?

Edited by Lucerne

As i was bored, a rough poll so far :) 

1st  Berserkers 15 (Cleeeeear winner)
2nd Catachans 7
       Imperial Guard infantry (Non specific) 7
3rd  Noise Marines 6
4th  Flayed ones 5
5th  Eldar Guardians 4
       Marine scouts 4
       Necron Warriors 4
       Cadians  4

The rest: Kommandos 3, ASpect Warriors (Non Specific) 3, Marine Terminators 3, Ork Boyz 3
               Striking Scorpions 2, Rough Riders 2, Eldar Avatar 2, Marine Bikes 2, Dark Reapers 2, Vespid 2, Destroyers 2
               And a bunch of solo votes, but if you cant get seconded you aint worth my typing (Including me :P ) 

All three choices for me would be eldar, simply because of how woefully behind the aspects are in terms of support. IMO the Guardians are fine for now, at least them have decent ish kits with options. Meanwhile for Eldar players you get stuck with finecast Striking Scorpions, Dire Avengers, and Dark Reapers, all of which really need an upgrade to modern plastic kits. It's ridiculous that players basically are forced to buy up cheesy Ghost based Eldar armies simply because the constructs are the only things with modern sculpts. Any Eldar player that wants to field a fluffy aspect warhost gets stuck using a bunch of finecast models that are probably older than most 40k players these days.

Edited by Volt

I'll agree the Eldar need a massive overhaul actually.

I'd consider collecting them if the Aspects were plastic (ideally multipose with options but appreciate we're seeing less of this) and I don't have much of an interest in 40k at the moment as a game (30K fo life).

Eldar everything, really. I honestly never thought the jetbike update was going to happen after that prototype pic had been circulating for years, but it did. Jain Zar is a step in the right direction and I hope all of the Phoenix Lords are getting an update. 

Aside from that? How about a Land Raider that isn't a :cussing nightmare to put together? Might be too late for that, depending on where you fall on the theory that GW is done with short marines. 

And a Leman Russ tank that doesn't look like something from a GI Joe cartoon and more like an actual tank? Or at least with a turret that's properly sized with the gun and doesn't look like it would kill everyone inside the moment it fires. 

All three choices for me would be eldar, simply because of how woefully behind the aspects are in terms of support.

Honestly, if GW would just go back to casting them in metal like they were designed to be, I don’t think the Aspect Warriors would be in need of a revamp. Most of them still hold up real well, even though they’re mostly...I think 2006ish vintage? Heck, even when it comes to the positively ancient Warp Spiders, I’d opt for much younger and uglier kits like the Marine Scouts and Catachans to get a revamp first.

All three choices for me would be eldar, simply because of how woefully behind the aspects are in terms of support.

Honestly, if GW would just go back to casting them in metal like they were designed to be, I don’t think the Aspect Warriors would be in need of a revamp. Most of them still hold up real well, even though they’re mostly...I think 2006ish vintage? Heck, even when it comes to the positively ancient Warp Spiders, I’d opt for much younger and uglier kits like the Marine Scouts and Catachans to get a revamp first.

I haven't had a chance to compare the new Banshees to the old ones, but the old metal Scorpions and Rangers seem tiny, even next to the plastic Guardians.

I haven't had a chance to compare the new Banshees to the old ones, but the old metal Scorpions and Rangers seem tiny, even next to the plastic Guardians.

Huh, really? That’s weird! Don’t have any on hand to compare, but the current Aspects (save Warp Spiders) all came out six or so years after the Guardians. You’d expect the normal GW scale creep to cut the opposite way...

1. Biovores. How has no one mentioned Biovores yet? They are the stupidest looking thing in the current Tyranid range. Dual kit with Pyrovores in plastic.

2. Guardians, for the reasons everyone's given.

3. Grotesques. Because I want some and can't stand Finecast.

Aside from that? How about a Land Raider that isn't a :cussing nightmare to put together? Might be too late for that, depending on where you fall on the theory that GW is done with short marines. 

I mean, unless FW suddenly stops supporting the Horus Heresy, we're going to still need Land Raiders. Not sure I'd put them in my top 3 though.

1. Grotesques
Not only is it a resin model, its also a single resin model that comes in units of at least 3. While its more modern both in actual release date and design than most suggestions on the lists for me this puts it quite high.

2. Servitors
scores this high for two reasons; the first is a bit of OCD.. with a plastic servitor kit Adeptus mechanicus are fully plastic... with so many that still need (updated) plastic kits, its good to sign off an entire army. the second is that I think this is one of the most widely reused unit in the game ( Admech, Astra militarum, Inquisition and all space marines afaik ?)

3. Eldar warlocks
Aspect warriors cant be summed into 3 choices, and when it comes to playing pure plastic, none of them are as missed as Warlocks. Im talking a full 3 man (elf) kit with plenty of customisation options ( thousand sons sorcerers kit style) bonus points for rules and bits to make not only craftworlds warlocks, but also Ynnari warlocks and Harlequin warlocks.
And perhaps a design overhaul... either shorter skirts or robes like the Skitari/SoB have... leaving the dresses for the seers.

If I had some control I would have two priorities getting rid of finecast and old plastic.

My main focus would be to refresh kits that are finecast resin.

Then old plastic kits

Khorne Berzerkers are probably the worst offenders, just ugly ugly models.

Eldar, Astra Militarum, and Ork need a range refresh. Either super old kits that are in some cases just ugly (Catachan) or not really available in plastic (Eldar)

I am super new, but definitely Khorne Berzerkers. I haven't really looked into many of the other kits right now, so that's the top [and only one] on my list right now. I'm going to make my own Berzerkers though and that excites me, so it's not too big of a deal.

Khorne Beserkers

Catachans

Elder Aspect Warriors.

If we ever got all the Aspect Warriors in full plastic I'd be all over them in a heart beat, I was a huge Eldar player in second ed because of Jes Goodwin's amazing sculpts but the current kits really need plastics. Plastic Warp Spiders would be amazing.

1. Imperial Guard infantry. Preferably several different regiments with interchangeable parts though I’d be happy if we only got redone Catachans.

2. Khorne Berzerkers, preferably as part of a wider World Eaters release.

3. Elder Guardians, though several Aspect Warrior kits, Gaunts and Necron Warriors are all in the melee for the third spot.

There are several Original Marine kits which are in need of an update too but as that range is in limbo at the moment I’ve excluded them.

• 2 weeks later...

Catachans. They just look dumb next to most armies these days.

Tankbustas/kommandos. Core unit in tank tankbustas, can be easily kitbashed but more bits would be handy Kommandos are THE bloodaxe unit so really should be plastic by now

Shining spears. Such a great aspect, and they are the epitome of eldar to me. They have melee and range punch, speed and survivability but not many of them. Eldar to the nth degree

When did Eldar jetbikes get an update?

2015(ish) During 7th edition.

My top 3:

Aspect warriors (and their phoenix lords)

Khorne berserkers

Tau auxillaries (kroot and vespid)

Quite a few characters need an update too (i.e Farsight-- he needs a new plastic model to rival shadowsun)