Painting Flesh Tearers

Those of us who play/collect FT: what paint schemes do you use?

The 7th Ed Codex seems to make them look almost maroon for the primary color...

...but the Warhammer TV painting guide says Khorne Red...

...and yet others such as Apathetic Fish on YouTube show using Mephiston Red as the base.

Would love to hear and see what you’ve used.

...especially Terminators.

....got a fun little project I’m mulling over.

Mephiston Red is way too bright for Flesh Tearers. I'd use that for regular Blood Angels if I were to paint mine as them (only the pauldrons and the helmets of the battleline Marines of mine are red). Khorne Red sounds about right I'd say.

Looking though the 7th ed era Sons of Sanguinius painting guide that GW put out, they use Khorne red as the base colour over black primer, and then coating all of the armour with Nulin Oil to darken it some more, and then highlight the amour with Wazdakka Red followed by Cadian Fleshtone.

Edited by m0nolith

Those guys came out super bright in the photo for some reason, they're more burgundy in real life, but kind of satiny. Khorne red feels the same, just a bit desaturated and flatter.

I've still not decided which I like more.

Black undercoat versus white is going to be a big change in how the red appears. I always base black when doing my Blood Sounds which are Flesh Tearers in all but the color of their lower legs.

I'll use the same burgundy color I use on my white base coated death company in areas and its hard to reconcile that's the same color as the black undercoated troops.