Returning to the hobby - what literature do I need?

Well met brothers,

As the title states, there seems to be a lot of different books flying around at the moment. With a view to fielding some BT once Nurgle's rot subsides, what books and other accessories do I need?

BRB and SM codex I can presume I need. What about mission cards/stratagems (these look cool!), any codex supplements etc.? It's all a bit bewildering and obviously can't just walk into a local GW and ask atm!

I took a break from the hobby end of 5th/early 6th ed so a lot is new...!

Additionally, can anyone recommend switching to e-pubs? What's their functionality like? Do FAQs/erratas automatically apply to them or no? Is it easier than books or not really?

Psychic Awakening: Faith & Fury is a must-super basic.

basicaly, Faith & Fury has lore about a particular war campaign, rules for many Chaos factions, 2-3 pages of generic space marine rules, and about 11 pages of rules purely for Black Templars, including some stratagems and relics that are pretty much gamechangers (i.e. allowing advance & charge to improve mobility, or giving 4++ save to multiple units for a turn, and many others). its almost the "black templars codex".

Edited by MarshalMittermeier

Psychic Awakening: Faith & Fury is a must-super basic.

basicaly, Faith & Fury has lore about a particular war campaign, rules for many Chaos factions, some generic space marine rules, and about 11 pages of rules purely for Black Templars, including some stratagems and relics that are pretty much gamechangers (i.e. allowing advance & charge to improve mobility, or giving 4++ save to multiple units for a turn)

Ok, so BRB, Codex SM, Faith & Fury. Do you have an opinion either way on electronic or paper copy?

I recommend a paper copy for the sole reason of convenience and showing your opponent your rules. I also recommend an electronic copy because it takes up no actual physical space. I compromised and use Battlescribe for everything and print when I need to. :biggrin.:

Ah yes I have been using Battlescribe as a way of learning some stats hehe

I guess with a tablet you could also show an opponent rules. Although GW hardcopies always did have a distinctive hobby smell about them...!

I recommend a paper copy for the sole reason of convenience and showing your opponent your rules. I also recommend an electronic copy because it takes up no actual physical space. I compromised and use Battlescribe for everything and print when I need to. :biggrin.:

I guess with a tablet you could also show an opponent rules. Although GW hardcopies always did have a distinctive hobby smell about them...!

Here's the thing - I'm getting by off only Battlescribe for rules. It's my main rules index, because it's always up to date, always has the errata factored in.

Here's the thing - I'm getting by off only Battlescribe for rules. It's my main rules index, because it's always up to date, always has the errata factored in.

Efficient! 

there is one page in the Vigilus defiend campaign book which is very good too. 

What's that about? Worth getting the whole book for?

Its a WL-Trait (very good one) - Sword Master (+1 A and each unmodified 6 is an additional hit)

one Relic (very very bad one) - Holy orb (.... dont want to talk about)

2 Stratagems (very strong but very expensive) - (5+++ in melee for 1cp and +1 Attack and reroll wounds for each model for 2cps)

The Stratagems just work on Company Veterans, Captains, company champions, emperors champion and Helbrecht.