New edition and new units. How will they affect Ultras?

Ha so all the griping about Guilliman was unfounded? Who would have thought it!

A basic Battalion (the most likely choice for us let's be honest) will see Guilliman starting with a net gain of +3 Command Points, which is yummy.

I'm thinking Guilliman running alongside a Land Raider Crusader with 8 Cataphractii is on the cards for me.

A basic Battalion (the most likely choice for us let's be honest) will see Guilliman starting with a net gain of +3 Command Points, which is yummy.

I'm thinking Guilliman running alongside a Land Raider Crusader with 8 Cataphractii is on the cards for me.

Don't worry, there will still be griping about Guilliman.

Edited by phoenix01

So complaining about Guilliman is bad....but complaining about complaining....that hasn't happened yet...is good? Explain that to me please. So far Gulliman looks fine now that he doesn't cost cp. He's roughly in the same boat as he was at the end of 8th, except he can out flank now, which is good. Could he stand to get tweaked a bit? Yes, probably. Monster keyword does some beneficial things for him now though, so as many people have said, we shall see. Maybe he will improve in ways we don't know yet. We all expect a points bump, so that won't elicit much of a response.

Funny how a complaint is that myself and others complain too much which apparently ruins the forum...and then you complain about future complaining. Does that...ruin the forum? Isn't that being "too negative"? Just an observation. Again, our complaining ruins the forum, but yours is...fine I guess?

Not trying to start an argument, but seriously, everything was going fine and everyone was being positive. Until people complained about complaining and future possible complaints that is. *shrugs*

As for me personally, I feel that I am fairly even and fair with my takes on things, and the couple times I went overboard I apologized and corrected it. I've had both negative things to say and positive things. I also admit when I'm wrong, which I've also done.

Edited by emperorpants

So anyway, now that stormshields no longer give a 3+ invuln we are one of the only chapters to be able to give a non named character a 3+. We can do this with our relic, the santic halo, so that's a cool win for us. Whats more, on the shortened board we will be in range to use its deny more often. This also makes Guillimans 3+ invuln more rare, so thats a bit of a stealth buff.

I'm pretty sure my post wasn't a complaint. More showing my amusement at this situation.

Storm Shields changing could be inspired. Vanguard Veterans with Jump Packs and a 2+ save and 4+ invulnerable save, like Cataphractii Terminators? Yes please.

Also makes Storm Shields relevant on Terminators, particularly the likes of Cataphractii Captains. A 1+ save and 3+ invulnerable?

Yum.

Lastly, Mastercrafted Power Swords being +1 Strength is amazing. Marine Characters, particularly the Chapter Champion, won't even need upgrades!

I'm pretty sure my post wasn't a complaint. More showing my amusement at this situation.

Storm Shields changing could be inspired. Vanguard Veterans with Jump Packs and a 2+ save and 4+ invulnerable save, like Cataphractii Terminators? Yes please.

Also makes Storm Shields relevant on Terminators, particularly the likes of Cataphractii Captains. A 1+ save and 3+ invulnerable?

Yum.

Lastly, Mastercrafted Power Swords being +1 Strength is amazing. Marine Characters, particularly the Chapter Champion, won't even need upgrades!

I wasn't referring to you, you were fine, some amusement was justified. :)

Also, I agree with everything in your post. Terminators are going to be a nightmare to remove in cover. Also, the plus 1 strength on master crafted power swords is great. I was hoping it would be something like that. Primaris captains get a nice little buff with that.

There's lots of changes in the new rules. Guilliman can no longer re roll his resurrection, as an example. Some are bad, some are good.

9th is both very similar to 8th,and quite different because every rule has been tweaked in some way.

I'm more convinced now that we'll need a new codex soon after 9th drops.

That new executioner character will be very useful for any castle ultra builds. Being able to force any unit to fight last will mean we can really blunt charges.

The Judiciar combined with Defensive Focus Overwatch is going to make an UM castle an extremely tough formation to crack.

Another potential benefit to Guilliman: if you take him you will have more variety in buffs. Let me explain. Guilliman gives the chapter master and LT. Aura on his own. If you take him and then a battalion you will start with 15 cp, which is great. Then you fill the battalion with let's say a psycher and a chaplain. That is a lot of buffs with no overlapping. You can't get that kind of coverage in a single battalion If you take Calgar because you only have 3 slots for hqs, and if you want more you pay the price for another detachment. Just something to consider.

Overall, the supreme command detachment helps us more than any other army so far. It helps Morty and Magnus too, but now they can't spam characters and they have to be the warlord. Meaning either they pay cp to outflank them, or they leave them on the board to possibly get shot and give up slay the warlord.

The most incredible thing about all of this though........is the fact a rando on 4chan who claimed to be a playtester....was telling the truth. Lol.

Edited by emperorpants

So complaining about Guilliman is bad....but complaining about complaining....that hasn't happened yet...is good? Explain that to me please. So far Gulliman looks fine now that he doesn't cost cp. He's roughly in the same boat as he was at the end of 8th, except he can out flank now, which is good. Could he stand to get tweaked a bit? Yes, probably. Monster keyword does some beneficial things for him now though, so as many people have said, we shall see. Maybe he will improve in ways we don't know yet. We all expect a points bump, so that won't elicit much of a response.

Funny how a complaint is that myself and others complain too much which apparently ruins the forum...and then you complain about future complaining. Does that...ruin the forum? Isn't that being "too negative"? Just an observation. Again, our complaining ruins the forum, but yours is...fine I guess?

Not trying to start an argument, but seriously, everything was going fine and everyone was being positive. Until people complained about complaining and future possible complaints that is. *shrugs*

As for me personally, I feel that I am fairly even and fair with my takes on things, and the couple times I went overboard I apologized and corrected it. I've had both negative things to say and positive things. I also admit when I'm wrong, which I've also done.

Actually, I wasn't referring to you at all.

The most incredible thing about all of this though........is the fact a rando on 4chan who claimed to be a playtester....was telling the truth. Lol.

To be fair, if you were a playtester who for some reason wanted to spill the beans and risk loosing your playtesting privilidges, 4Chan is a great place to do it. If you were going to leak stuff, would you rather do it on a site where you have to register an account, or a site where you cannot register an account even if you wanted to?

Actually, I wasn't referring to you at all.

Well, then you have my apologies. You know what they say about assumptions. Lol.

Monsters and walkers can't move through ruins, looks like nothing has changed in this regard.

It means a ruined building still prevents Dreadnoughts, Carnifexes or even a Primarch from moving through it. Also units like this rarely get any cover from the terrain features themselves, which is disappointing.

The image of a Dreadnought smashing through a wall still can't be recreated.

What is the chance of GW updating vigils to include bladeguard in the victrix detachment.

I'd say probably fairly slim. I think, in GW's mind, that's old content so not worth revisiting.

If we ever get a new Victrix detachment though we'll probably see Bladeguard in it.

Assuming 'Veil of Time' and other similar "Count as Charging" abilities are FAQ'ed to remove the references to the 8th edition mechanics, 9th makes the Indomitus Discipline pretty lackluster compared to the Librarius Discipline.

Precognition's -1 to-hit won't stack with other penalties to hit like Thunder Hammers/Power Fists or Tigurius' 'Master of Prescience'. 

'Storm of the Emperor's Wrath' will be lucky to cause more than a single MW in the "no hordes" meta that is likely to arise.

The extra CP from 'Scryer's Gaze' already doesn't stack with 'Adept of the Codex' and the limited use of the CP re-roll means we're probably going to have more free CP than ever before.

If 'Veil of Time' winds up working the way I think it will, Ultramarines Castles will be even more terrifying than ever before.

Yeah unfortunately our discipline is a bit of a dud.

That being said, I believe it's worth bringing an Inquisitor for our psychic needs.

Cheaper and more useful, and some can have lots of denying potential.

Assuming 'Veil of Time' and other similar "Count as Charging" abilities are FAQ'ed to remove the references to the 8th edition mechanics, 9th makes the Indomitus Discipline pretty lackluster compared to the Librarius Discipline.

Precognition's -1 to-hit won't stack with other penalties to hit like Thunder Hammers/Power Fists or Tigurius' 'Master of Prescience'. 

'Storm of the Emperor's Wrath' will be lucky to cause more than a single MW in the "no hordes" meta that is likely to arise.

The extra CP from 'Scryer's Gaze' already doesn't stack with 'Adept of the Codex' and the limited use of the CP re-roll means we're probably going to have more free CP than ever before.

If 'Veil of Time' winds up working the way I think it will, Ultramarines Castles will be even more terrifying than ever before.

Well Scryer’s gaze doesn’t stack with adept but it stacks with the CP you get in the command phase. So we will almost always be getting 2 CP a turn.

Psychic Shackles is still a good one and it affects Fly.

I’m also a fan of telepathic assault. You can probably do more damage anyway with it than Storm. Hordes or MSU. Just depends on who you are hitting.