Divided we endure: a Black Wings chapter log

finalbw.png

About me

I have been collecting Warhammer for about 10 years but never finished an army. Wish me luck!

Who are the Black Wings

The Black Wings have been around as a chapter since the 90s with precious little story behind them. What's known is available on the lexicanum but I will copy the most important part here:

700.M35 — Five companies of the chapter renounce their vows and turn on their brethren, leaving hundreds dead and several Strike Cruisers and the chapter's fortress-monastery destroyed. The chapter paints half of their armour black until their renegade brethren are hunted down.[1]

[1] Imperial Armour Volume Two - Second Edition, pg. 17

Why collect them

I think the Black Wings are, narratively speaking, an interesting chapter. Compare the fact that half of their chapter went renegade and this was (as far as we know) accepted by the Imperium versus the suspected heresy of the Brazen Drakes. The introduction of primaris reinforcements provides great opportunities to introduce my own fluff into this mix.

Also, I very much enjoyed The Walker In Fire, a short BL book centred on the Deathwatch but featuring a firstborn marine of this chapter.

Finally bits were available on Shapeways and the colour scheme looked achievable despite my bad painting skills.

Lore

“How long have you gazed into the abyss? How long has the abyss gazed into you? Your sentence is excommunicate traitoris. But I can offer a reprieve…”

Malphas Kroh, Ordo Malleus

“The precedent was clear. This is all so anomalous. What game is ++ REDACTED BY THE ORDER OF THE ORDO MALLEUS ++ playing?”
Final transmission of prefectus ++ REDACTED BY ORDER OF THE ORDO MALLEUS ++.

“Archmagos Dominus Belisarius Cawl gifts you this technology in the name of Imperial Regent. But I also deliver a message: be reinforced and so redeemed. Can you explain what that means?”
Balbus, Adeptus Custodes
Edited by lazzzypainter

Colour trials

I am by no means an experienced painter (my username should tell you that) but I have been attempting a few different versions of the halved Black Wings scheme.

Screenshot+2020-06-30+at+14.46.36.png

This one is mostly drybrushing with some layer painting for the purity seal.

Screenshot+2020-06-30+at+14.46.10.png

This one was a colour test for making the red pop a bit more, it's drybrushed Army Painter Pure Red with some Lava Orange highlights and a glaze of Game Ink Red.

Screenshot+2020-06-30+at+15.39.42.png

Finally we have this one here, which is a the image before it but with some blacklining courtesy of a a micron pen.

I look forward to updating this post with more models as my Shapeways order with shoulder pad icons should be here tomorrow!

Edited by lazzzypainter

My Shapeways order has arrived!

Screenshot+2020-07-02+at+15.22.18.png

So what do we have here? 

Shoulder pad icons and vehicle icons for the Black Wings chapter.

Squad role icons.

Some replacement Reiver heads (I'm not a fan of the skull look).

And finally some power buster swords... but I won't disclose who they are for right now.

Hopefully my next update will be a substantial one!