Dreadnaughts for blood angels

smileyjim

What old dreadnaught models can BA take? I have a Chaplin and ironclad dreadnaught can I take them still and what about in tournaments?

Sorry if it seems like a foolish question but I've not played since 6th edition. Cheers

Hi Jim,

Any from the Blood Angels codex or most from the Forge World indexed. BA have never been able to take an ironclad, but you can stick other arms on it from the Furioso kit to make a BA legal one.

A full rundown of all BA eligible units can be found in this forums 'unit of the week' series:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/342247-blood-angels-unit-of-the-week-database/

Chaplain dreads were pretty good in 8th, but will be gettig new rules in 9th, and can only really get better I think. Librarian Dreads are also great.

I run my Chaplain dreadnought model with the Forgeworld inferno cannon as a Furioso with frag cannon counts-as. Everyone knows it's a special dreadnought with template/auto-hit weapons, so it doesn't cause confusion. And it looks baller in my all death-co army. 

With the model out of production, I wonder if the chaplain dread will get rules in 9th

I hope it does.... I've got one coming to me soon :laugh.:

I highly doubt it, they even scrapped rules for units still in production. Case in point Honour Guard/Company Veterans/Command Squad with jump packs.

Those are multiple units though. The command squad of 5 models has been replaced with a unit of 2-5 company veterans, one ancient, one apothecary and one company champion.

I did see that the new 9th edition forgeworld unit rules won't include anything that's no longer in production, in the news section here, but can't find the direct link. If that's true, then Chaplain dreads will be out.

I would expect those units to end up in the Legends pdf; i.e. still valid for matched play, but points won't be updated in future and not valid for tournament play.

I did see that the new 9th edition forgeworld unit rules won't include anything that's no longer in production, in the news section here, but can't find the direct link. If that's true, then Chaplain dreads will be out.

I would expect those units to end up in the Legends pdf; i.e. still valid for matched play, but points won't be updated in future and not valid for tournament play.

That will suck, the Chaplin dread is a beautiful model,one I never painted but always planned to before I stopped playing. Maybe I'll use it as a librarian stand in with a force weapon. Would that fly in a tournament you think?

Hi Jim,

Any from the Blood Angels codex or most from the Forge World indexed. BA have never been able to take an ironclad, but you can stick other arms on it from the Furioso kit to make a BA legal one.

A full rundown of all BA eligible units can be found in this forums 'unit of the week' series:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/342247-blood-angels-unit-of-the-week-database/

Chaplain dreads were pretty good in 8th, but will be gettig new rules in 9th, and can only really get better I think. Librarian Dreads are also great.

Cheers mate shame about the ironclad maybe I can turn it into something. I've already wanted to field the Chaplin dread so fingers crossed GW don't do something.... er GW like

Cheers mate shame about the ironclad maybe I can turn it into something. 

The torso of the dread is fine, if you armed it with seismic hammer and CCW nobody will argue with you if you run it as a furioso. All plastic dread arms (minus the black reach one) are interchangeable, so you can get a furioso, make a lib dread from that and use the spare arms to change the loadout

The torso of the dread is fine, if you armed it with seismic hammer and CCW nobody will argue with you if you run it as a furioso. All plastic dread arms (minus the black reach one) are interchangeable, so you can get a furioso, make a lib dread from that and use the spare arms to change the loadout

Or if you have or know someone who owns a 3D printer you can find plenty of arms online. I bought an ironclad on impulse some years ago and was never happy with the count as arms. Finally he now serves as an lascannons / missile launcher backline dread.

Or if you have or know someone who owns a 3D printer you can find plenty of arms online. I bought an ironclad on impulse some years ago and was never happy with the count as arms. Finally he now serves as an lascannons / missile launcher backline dread.

Yeah I'll probably convert the drill arm into the force weapon for the lib dread, then put it on the Chaplin. There's no arguing it's a character, but it's still getting painted black.

Do you have much luck with a shootout dread for BAs?

If you've got some Sanguinary Guard wings left over 'cos you think they look stupid, you can always build your own Chaplain Dread. :thumbsup: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/357427-best-way-to-do-up-a-chaplain-dreadnought/?do=findComment&comment=5520072

Also, nothing puts the fear of the Emperor into your opponent like the THONK! an old metal Furioso makes when you put him down on the table. 

Bad news on the chaplain dread I'm afraid - the reviews of the new chapter approved are out of embargo, and the Chaplain dread is notable in not having points, unlike other forgeworld units. It's not the only OOP forgeworld unit that's gone, but it's a fairly short list.

Chaplain Dreadnoughts
Lias Issodon
Hellwrights
Sororitas Repressors
Death Rider Commissars

So it's a racing certainty the chaplain dread is going to end up in Legends; still valid for matched play with other OOP models, but not updated and not recommended for tournaments.

Yeah I'll probably convert the drill arm into the force weapon for the lib dread, then put it on the Chaplin. There's no arguing it's a character, but it's still getting painted black.

Do you have much luck with a shootout dread for BAs?

I quite like him. He isn't too much points. His profile doesn't degrade like a predator and he doesn't loose weapons/bodies like devastors when taking hits. Often I run him together with my relic contemptor with dual las and missile launcher, so he often isn't top priority for my opponent.

Bad news on the chaplain dread I'm afraid - the reviews of the new chapter approved are out of embargo, and the Chaplain dread is notable in not having points, unlike other forgeworld units. It's not the only OOP forgeworld unit that's gone, but it's a fairly short list.

Chaplain Dreadnoughts

Lias Issodon

Hellwrights

Sororitas Repressors

Death Rider Commissars

So it's a racing certainty the chaplain dread is going to end up in Legends; still valid for matched play with other OOP models, but not updated and not recommended for tournaments.

Damn it's always a shame to see awesome units taken out the back to see old yellow

I think dreads are going to be hidden gems in this edition.  Given the rules changes in 9th I feel like dreads may end up being more useful than ever.

As an aside, what are the thoughts on Mortis dreads?  I noticed that on Battlescribe, we can take them, although I don't see rules for them in our army book, I suspect it's in one of the Imperial Armoury books?  Does this mean we can take them? 

I'm new to Blood Angels, but it looks like a super cheap and reasonably durable platform for dual twin-Lascannons or dual twin-Autocannons.  Lascannons are obvious, but autocannons look like they'd be fairly useful vs lighter vehicles or 2 wound models like Intercessors.  They look like these can pack a lot of higher strength and long ranged firepower that looks like it is otherwise hard to fit into our lists.....  And if desired, the Cyclone Missile Launcher can help it do even more damage, although I feel like at this point you're putting too many eggs in one basket...... 

I can see a Mortis dread sitting with a 5 man unit of sniper scouts (part of the troop tax) acting as a screen around it to be a pretty cheap chunk to sit and hold an objective in your own deployment zone, but still able to contribute some long range firepower. 

And then, on top of that, there's the Contemptor Mortis Dreads that are even tougher, and although a good chunk more points I think they should be able to effectively use a cyclone missile launcher on it as well.  Dual Kheres assault cannons on it also looks intriguing. 

Mortis dreads are a forgeworld unit (because the additional gun arm was from forgeworld) but AFAIK all the classic boxnaut arms are OOP. The original dread could take two autocannon arms (the classic 'rifleman') but that ended up in Legends. The mortis dread was an alternative.

The forgeworld contemptor chassis was a good value gun platform in 8th; apparently it's gone down in points in 9th, so will likely be even more common - the 5+ invulnerable makes it a lot more survivable. Given the 'basic' contemptor is in plastic, and forgeworld is still cranking out the chapter variants and arms it should be around for a while yet!

Our custom boxnauts weren't good value in 8th, bar the librarian dread; I haven't specifically checked those points comparisons yet to confirm, but I suspect that hasn't changed.