Squad size and characters protection (Ravenwing)

solarisqc

With the DA immunity to combat attrition as per the FAQ, how are you planning to size your ravenwing bike squad.

1: big squad that protect character but are more vulnerable to the new blast rule

2: small squad

Also how do you feel about small unit of 3 attack bike (12w) that take a huge space on the battlefield but are now unable to protect characters vs LS that block character targeting because they are vehicule.

Do you thing attack bike will be a good choice now vs the Land speeder with the new Look out sire rules?

Now, I haven't seen much in the way of the leaked points but, I'm leaning towards 5-man squads for the extra wounds and ability to pump out a shed load of fire.

Land Speeders went up I believe, but they will still absolutely be worth it with any kind of buffs, even without they are no longer suffering the -1 for moving with heavy weapons. Heck they may been be my character bodyguards.

Edited by G8Keeper

The whole "new blast rules" is an interesting thing, and I think that some people may be over-exaggerating the impact of it. 

Statistically, the new blast rules means that when targeting a unit of 6-10 models, the expected outcome of a D6 moves from 3.5 to 4. Is that a huge shift? Perhaps not, by the time you work this through the roll to hit, the roll to wound, and then the roll to save.

Also, take a weapon that has a multiple D3 profile - the Thunderfire's 4D3 for example. The new blast rules for a unit of 6-10 models has no impact on this profile, because the minimum number of shots - 4 - is higher than the minimum specified by the new blast rules.

So my feeling is that the benefits to us of a larger squad size - character protection, stratagem efficiency - more than outweighs the threat posed by the new blast rules. Dark Angels need not fear the morale phase, and I think we should leverage that as much as possible.

The whole "new blast rules" is an interesting thing, and I think that some people may be over-exaggerating the impact of it. 

Statistically, the new blast rules means that when targeting a unit of 6-10 models, the expected outcome of a D6 moves from 3.5 to 4. Is that a huge shift? Perhaps not, by the time you work this through the roll to hit, the roll to wound, and then the roll to save.

Also, take a weapon that has a multiple D3 profile - the Thunderfire's 4D3 for example. The new blast rules for a unit of 6-10 models has no impact on this profile, because the minimum number of shots - 4 - is higher than the minimum specified by the new blast rules.

So my feeling is that the benefits to us of a larger squad size - character protection, stratagem efficiency - more than outweighs the threat posed by the new blast rules. Dark Angels need not fear the morale phase, and I think we should leverage that as much as possible.

Yes this. I think blast is heaily overrated apart from 11+ models

For the blast rules, it make weapon like plasma canon with 1d3 shot realy good vs expensive unit like Blacknight with 6-10 model. Give the max number of shot and with overcharge, it can kill up to 3 model per turn. Yes you can have jinx, but a 4++ is far from reliable. And if your only unit with 5+ model is bike squad and blacknight, it make them a prime target for any blast weapon.

If all the blast weapon have only 2-3 target unit of 6+ model it will be an easy choice for our opponent to choose target and bring them down to under 3 model

In a greenwing army where you have multiple unit it will be easy for the dark angel to give them multiple target, but in a ravenwing army where only bike and blacknight can have unit of 4+ (and landspeeder), am worry about keeping or character safe. 

The Ravenwing is a type of armies that rely alot on character to give them buff, but if you only have 2-3 unit able to keep your character safe. The fact that unit like outrider and attack bike, with 4w per model but limit to 3 model can't realy be use for protecting our character (losing 1 model make them useless for protection) realy limit our option and normal vehicule are not fast enought to stay close to our ravenwing character when they start. We may have to rely on Speeder and flyer to keep them safe.

I think the ravenwing will be realy fun to play in this edition.

For the blast rules, it make weapon like plasma canon with 1d3 shot realy good vs expensive unit like Blacknight with 6-10 model. Give the max number of shot and with overcharge, it can kill up to 3 model per turn. Yes you can have jinx, but a 4++ is far from reliable. And if your only unit with 5+ model is bike squad and blacknight, it make them a prime target for any blast weapon.

If all the blast weapon have only 2-3 target unit of 6+ model it will be an easy choice for our opponent to choose target and bring them down to under 3 model

In a greenwing army where you have multiple unit it will be easy for the dark angel to give them multiple target, but in a ravenwing army where only bike and blacknight can have unit of 4+ (and landspeeder), am worry about keeping or character safe. 

The Ravenwing is a type of armies that rely alot on character to give them buff, but if you only have 2-3 unit able to keep your character safe. The fact that unit like outrider and attack bike, with 4w per model but limit to 3 model can't realy be use for protecting our character (losing 1 model make them useless for protection) realy limit our option and normal vehicule are not fast enought to stay close to our ravenwing character when they start. We may have to rely on Speeder and flyer to keep them safe.

I think the ravenwing will be realy fun to play in this edition.

Well that is the role of the Ravenwing Support Squadron.

Perhaps we'll see speeder squadrons get back their Ravenshield rule from the support squadron formation.

I think a 4 man biker squad with an attack bike would be a good shield.

5 bodies, so it reduces blast damage and keeps coherency easy. Its still 12 wounds to cut through, if you want to get to a bike chaplain or a jump character in between them.