Wyvern's Blast rule

The blast rule says a blast weapon will always make a minimum of 3 attacks against 6+ model units and maximum  attacks against 11+. But the Wyvern's mortar is now 4d6 Blast, so it would always meet the minimum of 3 if its total attacks not minimum 3 per die. 

It's minimum per attack, not per dice. So a unit of more than 5 gives you min 3 shots, a unit of more than 10 gives you max shots. So the first stage is meaningless for the Wyvern or any weapon that throws more than 3 dice for number of shots at the same time.

It's good for any weapon that throws single dice for number of shots, like Mortars or Leman Russ turrets. For multi-dice weapons like the Wyvern or Manticore the scaling is not really there though until you get to the really big units.

Edited by sairence

We will see soon a FAQ that will clearly say that is minimum 3 per die, not attack.

The wording now is unclear and can be read in both ways in english but in the italian version (i might have only that as i live in Italy) it is clear that is 3 per die.

My understanding was the wyvren had 4 mortars there for each is technically 1d6 so the blast rules would apply per weapon?

So minimum of 12 vs units of 6+ and 24 for 11+

Nevermind I was wrong... Wyvren left out again

Hopefully an faq fixes it

Otherwise its min 3+3(ie 3x rolls of 1 on remaining dice) and max 24?

Edited by duz_

Per current wording, a Wyvern shooting a squad of 6+ models is guaranteed a minimum total of 3 shot which is irrelevant because your lowest roll on 4D6 is 4. Now vs 11+, the rule says don't roll, just take max shots. So vs 11+ the Wyvern automatically gets 24 shots. So it isn't the end of the world and the wyvern isn't garbage, it just wasn't accounted for when they made the rule. Afterall, there aren't a tone of multi d6 weapons out there.

We will see soon a FAQ that will clearly say that is minimum 3 per die, not attack.

The wording now is unclear and can be read in both ways in english but in the italian version (i might have only that as i live in Italy) it is clear that is 3 per die.

The wording is actually pretty clear in English as well, in that it's per attack, not dice. Not knocking Italian, but since GW is an English company I'm more inclined to go with the English wording. :-/

Tabletop Tactics, who have been playtesting 9th, also confirmed this quite clearly in one of their 9th game.

We will see :)

Dont want to debate seriously but, just for fun, i dont know how it can be so clear as the rules says "minimum of 3 attacks" in the first sentence but then it says "the dice rolled results in

less than 3 attacks being made, make 3 attacks" and not "the sum of the dice rolled...".

For me, as italian, thats are two things that cannot go well together.

Why in english it is so clear?

I know and agree that the original rules are written in english but the problem is that if i buy the translated rules (as they are official too) it is not fair that i can play a different game :D

Hope GW puts out a faq in any case.

Is Tabletop Tactis an official playtester?

Edited by duz_

If British people still specified Die vs Dice instead of using dice for singular I think the rule would be infinitely more clear. I do agree that the rule saying Weapon in regards to the number of attacks would indicate that blast weapons with 3/4 D6 shots don’t benefit as nicely from this rule.

At this point they just can’t seem to stop rubbing salt into the wound of the Baneblade.

• 4 weeks later...

For completeness this weeks FAQ clarified that if a weapon is xD6 dice then its the final result not each individual dice result.

Might be worth asking GW nicely if they can switch the wyvren back to at least 2 twin linked guns

That way we'd at least get 6 shots minimum and also be able to shoot at two separate targets if we wanted ;)