How do you equip your Deathwing Ancient?

cernunnos

What are people thoughts on equipping the Deathwing Ancient?  Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield seems the best for the combination of damage and resilience, but the -1 to hit on WS3+ and the expense makes me wonder if I would be better off with lightning claws and using the saved points elsewhere. 

The two schools of thought here are, power fist and storm bolter to make him as cheap  as possible, or lightning claws to make him worth while in melee. Now in 9th edition lighting claws IS the cheapest possible configuation, as well

Edited by Berzul

Mine is magnetized, but I'd say SB/fist and TH/SS are the most common. With changes to character targeting, I think hammer and shield is the most ideal.

Remember that his biggest advantage is the aura buffs. You are remembering to give him the new relic banner, right?

Edited by RayJ

Thanks for the replies.  I haveused one with lightning claws in a couple of games and picked them because I felt they were the best balance of cost and impact on the game.  What I have found in my limited experience though is he dies really easily to enemy characters. 

I generally use him supporting my deathwing knights, and really they are so powerful in combat that his lightning claw contribution is rarely significant.  I am thinking that the thunder hammer and storm shield may have a better chance of protecting him from enemy characters who try to take him out, as well as offer more of a threat to them.