Panda's Projects - *In Progress Chaos Knights*

Hello to all,

I am trying to get back in the habit of painting and modelling at the moment - I am a horror for starting something and then failing to carry through with actually completing anything.... So I decided to make a record here, in the hope that by sharing what I am working on with people I might keep myself motivated!

So, at the moment I have some Chaos Knight War Dogs in part painted state. I have really found these enjoyable simple to paint - I think it is the large flat panels for colour, and the simple drybrushing of the metallics that just works for me. Not to forget that the models are lovely and leave a lot of room for conversions.

So these are not very adventurous conversions, but they have had a few spiky additions to make them less than pristine. At the moment the base colours are Caliban Green and with a counterpoint of Gryphhound Orange. I am planning to do the details, bases, and the various icons and heraldry next, but I stalled - so I am putting them here for now, in the hope that I can get some motivation back! Sorry they are not the best photo's - I am in dear old Blighty at the moment, and English weather means that finding good lighting is almost impossible.

50129684506_f3e6a13c89_c.jpg

And the second one

50129113963_d166a532c1_c.jpg

Any thoughts on heraldry and decoration is very welcome. I am going to be adding chaos arrows (probably using white or bone colours), and chaos stars or chaos runes in places. The main heraldry though, that's a difficult one. I am not a very sure freehand painter so I wanted to keep it simple.

Since I plan to do my own Chaos Knight house I am open to suggestions. I wondered about repurposing some of the space wolf decalls perhaps, or something similar. One thing that caught my eye, from real world heraldry, were the various water horses of mythology. I think there is a good example of one here on the wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocampus_(mythology) but it does strike me as a challenge to complete!

Anybody having any ideas for simple designs for chaos heraldry please chip in :smile.: At the moment I am imaging the Knight House as hailing from a corrupted world filled with deep lochs and shrouded in fog and mist, with the knights and their households being ghoulish overlords that keep their vassals in thrall and their enemies as the main course for their banquets!

Take care all - thanks for reading!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again everyone,

Just a small update - health issues keep getting in the way of trying to finish anything... I will keep trying.

I have managed a bit of progress on the two part painted chaos armigers as well as settling on a house symbol.

So, a few new pictures and a bit of progress. I still need to do the basing, and add some weathering, but the finer details and the transfers are finally in place and these two are starting to look more solid to me. Any thoughts are welcome

For the Chaos Knight House, I want to use the name "House Ghastrev", and a motto of "Never Caged". The house symbol is a black boars head - mainly because I had some old Bretonnian knight transfers, and I cannot see myself using the boars head on anything else!

First Up - Drost, piloting "Bitter Jester", with his enemies half living head wired in on his shoulder, capturing vid-footage of every atrocity.

50184775453_56b9f854c4_w.jpg

And second, Brigid piloting "Forged Treason", more aggressive than her kinsman and with more chaotic decorations and mutations to the shell.

50185572557_22094a9cd3_w.jpg

And a quick view of the boars head symbol. I found it almost impossible to get the transfer to sit smooth on the shoulder plate - maybe it's the age of the transfers, but I had to accept some minor problems and just paint over it with some watered PVA. It will hopefully even out a bit once they get some varnish at the end.

50185612022_f8fd5d60cd_z.jpg

I will see if I can push on and finish these two up, and get some more started soon. Have fun everyone, happy painting!

Edited by AstralPanda