Useful Tactical Squad load out?

ServoBadger

I have a BA Tactical Squad on sprue and pretty much every heavy weapon option available.

My other two Tactical Squads made from the BA kit have melta guns and heavy flamers, any thoughts on the most useful way to build another?

Other units are probably more useful but I already have them and I want to get what I can out of them, plus they're going to be a painting test for the Indomitus models.

Thanks!

One of the signature elements of the timeless Tac Squad, and weirdly even more prominent in the age of Primaris, is the ability to hide special weapons in them.

Basically the format of special weapon+combi-weapon on Sarge.

-plasma/combi-plasma

-melta/combo/melta

-flamer/combi-flamer

The idea is to get the most “bang for your buck” out of 5man MSU squads, keeping the overall points value low while increasing output.

BA have a few more options, since we can do inferno pistols and hand flamers, as well as a heavy flamer, but the same principles apply.

In 7th, a classic build was the “Tacti-Q” build me at to come in a drop pod and roast the enemy away:

Hidden Content

Tactical Marine x 10

-Sgt 2x hand flamers

-flamer

-Heavy flamer

Drop Pod

...though the viability of that, or even or 10man Tac squads in 7th, is dubious.

The Sgt can also take melee weapons, so you’re taking a chain sword for the free attack. Don’t think, just do it. But if you want a bit more serious melee, then power sword or axe is fairly cheap for its output and a power fist rarely goes awry, though many would start its not worth the cost on a Tac Sgt.

Hope this helps.

Las-ticals are worth consideration too - a 5 man squad with a single lascannon as a cheap backfield objective unit that can often plink away most of the game. For BA, intercessors and incursors tend to be better value for troop units heading up the board.

I'd go for some longer range firepower.

Can't go wrong with 

10 man, combi plasma + axe, Plasma gun, lascannon.

Gives you options for both a double plasma death squad, and a 5 man squad to hold an objective at the back. 

It all depends on what you're wanting to accomplish with the squad.

My standard on a 5 man squad is this:

Combi-Plasma + Chainsword/power sword
Plasma gun

On my 10 man squads I usually run this
Combi-Flamer/melta + Chainsword
Melta Gun
Heavy Flamer

But I also really like
Combi-Grav + Power Sword
Grav-Gun
Grav-Cannon

If I max a plasma squad I either go with a Plasma cannon or Heavy Bolter, both have great synergy with plasma load outs.
Rarely do I take a Multi-Melta or Lascannon in tactical squads. I do have a company of gen 1 marines that I switch out a lot.

But I also really like

Combi-Grav + Power Sword

Grav-Gun

Grav-Cannon

How are you finding the 9" rapid fire range on the grav guns? I havent built one because of it. 

Plasma guns also synergise well with multimeltas because of the range...but this is less of an issue since 8th where models pick targets individually.

Edited by Xenith

I have found a 5 man squad rocking a heavy bolter, plus a storm bolter and chainsword on the sergeant, to be extremely efficient in terms of output to points. Used to secure objectives in cover (in 8th ed) these guys were super cheap and super useful. My twin battalion lists consisted of 6 of these squads to pay the troops tax.

The Primaris meta also seems to be a boost to the reliable tactical squad. People look at First Sons these days as a non threat, and therefore ignore them. With the game moving even more to objectives being the key to victory, you won't be disappointed with these guys.

I have found a 5 man squad rocking a heavy bolter, plus a storm bolter and chainsword on the sergeant, to be extremely efficient in terms of output to points. Used to secure objectives in cover (in 8th ed) these guys were super cheap and super useful. My twin battalion lists consisted of 6 of these squads to pay the troops tax.

I'm agree. This tactical squad was the base of my armies during all the 8th ed. However, I found the heavy bolter a little bit pricey for what it does. 5 or 7 points would have been perfect. 

But in the 9th ed, I don't think this is a good option. Now the grav canon cost also 10 points and the Lascannon, the plasma cannon and the missile launcher costs all only 15 points. If the heavy bolter don't drop in points with futur codex, we won't see it on the tactical squad. 

Seriously, the Ironhail heavy stubber cost 5 points on a non infantry units. So why the heavy bolter with only +1S cost 10 points on infantry units? 

The plus to taking a heavy bolter is the hellfire rounds stratagem. That is potentially a very useful strat. And having heavy bolters dispersed across the battlefield means you have more options to unleash it. 

This is a key reason that keeps the heavy bolter ahead of the grav in my opinion. That opportunity to inflict a crucial D3 mortals can be a real game changer. The D6 on the lascannon is far to swingy, its about time for GW to give the las its proper overhaul to D6 min 3 damage.

I have a BA Tactical Squad on sprue and pretty much every heavy weapon option available.

My other two Tactical Squads made from the BA kit have melta guns and heavy flamers, any thoughts on the most useful way to build another?

Other units are probably more useful but I already have them and I want to get what I can out of them, plus they're going to be a painting test for the Indomitus models.

Thanks!

Currently in 9th edition points, the most efficient Tactical Squad is a single lascannon with 5 marines. You can upgrade the Sgt. to have a Chainsword and a Boltgun (or Storm Bolter) -- If it is a 10 man squad, I'd do Plasma Marine, Combi-Plasma Sgt w/ Chainsword, and a Lascannon....

Plasma is the best point per weapon application available to non-primaris marine... and Lascannons on infantry got cheaper... :)

I'm agree. This tactical squad was the base of my armies during all the 8th ed. However, I found the heavy bolter a little bit pricey for what it does. 5 or 7 points would have been perfect. 

But in the 9th ed, I don't think this is a good option. Now the grav canon cost also 10 points and the Lascannon, the plasma cannon and the missile launcher costs all only 15 points. If the heavy bolter don't drop in points with futur codex, we won't see it on the tactical squad. 

Seriously, the Ironhail heavy stubber cost 5 points on a non infantry units. So why the heavy bolter with only +1S cost 10 points on infantry units? 

Games Workshop said the point values don't reflect all of the new weapon stats necessarily... so its possible we could see a Heavy Bolter with 4 shots instead of 3 :)

Games Workshop said the point values don't reflect all of the new weapon stats necessarily... so its possible we could see a Heavy Bolter with 4 shots instead of 3 :smile.:

Seeing as the rulebook and chapter approve have already been leaked/are in peoples hands, anything as radical as adding a shot to a heavy bolter would have been picked up by now, I feel.