Indomitus Crusade- It Remembers the Flesh - Daemon Sculpt

Doghouse

Doghouse doing some proper old-school style True Scale marines? Fantastic! So much (good) nostalgia seeing you do this batch :biggrin.:  Brilliant work, as always mate! 

Cheers for the tutorial on the Mk X-III armour, I'm tempted to give that a try. 

Thanks mate and no worries on the tutorial, I like being able to spark people's imaginations and seeing what they come up with. :)

This log has kind of gone off course a bit...well alot to be fair! :D

Once they announced the two wound Astartes it was too tempting to not return to truescaling. It's cleared a bit of a converters block for me and I am working on some truely insane stuff now, the model I'll be posting over the next few days is utterly, utterly bizarre even by my standards. :D

I've always been an on and off fan of chaos but now the marines are competitive it gives me a reason to go nuts, only problem is that I'm not a fan of the blast rules that punish hordes so much as I'd love to do a twenty man platoon but have nothing to gain by doing so sadly.

I understand why they are doing it to speed up the game but to me it destroys a lot of the character of some armies and I personally really do not like the MSU direction the game is taking from a lore perspective.

Anyway, next update is completely and utterly insane and Word Bearers related. As a teaser, it is titled "It Remembers the Flesh"

I know what you mean about converters block - I've been unable to decide whether to Primaris-ise a traditional tactical and/or devestator squad for a while, and the new 2 wound Astartes may push me over into actually doing it. 

-snip-

Anyway, next update is completely and utterly insane and Word Bearers related. As a teaser, it is titled "It Remembers the Flesh"

Well this certainly sounds intriguing! 

Ironwrought Huw: Go for it! Having seen what you are capable of you should have no problem what so ever doing so. The only thing that puts me off doing it myself personally speaking is that the Space Marines seem to be in such a state of flux at the moment I'm not sure where their future lies. If I were a betting man I'd say it'll be atleast another edition before they concidered getting rid of them or maybe even merge the two further. This is why I am planting my flag with the forces of Chaos with these truescale guys because I've always had an affinity for the Heresy stuff and now they have a credible core troop choice they are worth my time to invest in.

Like I say, I have complete faith in your ability to pull it off and you can always just do a test model to see how you get on.

KBA: I have no idea how people will react to this thing but I am having a blast sculpting it, it's the stuff of nightmares! :D

The only thing that puts me off doing it myself personally speaking is that the Space Marines seem to be in such a state of flux at the moment I'm not sure where their future lies. 

I hear that. The nice thing about it is that because they share the same base size I can imagine a lot of up-scaled marines (even if just raised on their base with cork) being created and count-as-Primaris should that eventually happen. It's what I plan to do with the second wave of my Dark Angels; the original's on their 28 mm bases are mostly for my nostalgia. However, I am (hypocritically?) doing the same. My next project (before any marines) is Nurgle because I really don't care what the rules are and the kits are relatively new and option-less.

Yeah the change to marines certainly opens the door for conversions and Nurgle is a really good in that you can let your imagination run riot.

This where my project log kind of derails, sprouts legs and runs off in another direction.

It Remembers the Flesh

While there are many intelligences within the warp that could be deemed sentient enough to plot and scheme, barter and bargain in the traditional sense there are also more primal entities. These beings are manifest of a singular emotion and far too beastial and raw to concider allignment with one god or another. These are the predators of the ether, smashing themselves against the Gellar fields of material vessels that pass through their realm with unbound fury. Drawn to the souls inside like dune sharks having caught the scene of blood carried on the desert plains winds. They are animalistic apex predators with not concept of thought beyond the need to devour the souls of the living.
While hostile beyond imagining and not as prestigious as perhaps the binding of a Greater Daemon they require less resources and talent to bring forth as many an untrained psyker has found out to their misfortune.
These creatures exist as pure emotion within the under currents, rarely ever entering the material existance. On the rare occation that it does happen the entity will find itself torn from the immaterium, forced into a body of flesh experiencing conciousness, touch, taste, senses that are so utterly alien to it as it writhes not knowing how to make sense of it's surroundings. It emerges as a twisted mass of contorting bone, flesh and sinue as it struggles to make sense of this new reality. While bound to it's summoner in ways it cannot comprehend it is little more than a brutal and utterly savage attack dog when compared to it's kin.

So the idea behind this guy is that I'm going to use this as a Daemon Prince. It's possessed it's host after being lured into the material world and as you can imagine it's devastated the host's flesh and is trying to take shape. Imagine trying to remember the details of an obscure dream then trying to sculpt something from that dream from memory. That is what is happening here, it is a primordial energy trying to interpret alien surroundings never having possessed such senses before. It remembers the flesh but can't make sense of it and so you get this monstrousity made material.

I've really enjoyed making this and it was incredibly fast to make. The idea I originally had was of the upper torso of the host splitting from the legs and mutating with only the vaguest recollection of the flesh's original form. I've used Super Sculpty which is an oven drying polymer clay over an armature of tin/alluminium baking foil and wire. It was really fun and I am not sure if I should add wings yet but for now apart from the odd bit of Green Stuff work the sculpt is complete.

One of the main ideas behind this guy is that unlike regular Greater Daemons it lacks form in the warp so when it comes to the material world it has no concept of armour or weapons so tries to form everything it can from the host itself. So as it takes shape it uses bone to make talons and claws and teeth, it uses cartalidge and sinue to form armour, etc.

P1010104

P1010109

P1010105

P1010107

P1010108

P1010106

Yeah I like the idea of this thing opening i's maw to try and swallow it's prey. It's a sort of secondary mouth where it's face has ruptured and split open and bone fragments are forming into spikes to mimic teeth. There's also some other odd bits that will become more apparent as I paint it like the blisters on the left thigh forming basic eyes or the veins on the left shoulder bursting up to form a growth like spout.

P1010110

P1010111

I'm sure it's not to everyone's taste but it's fun to go a little more horror rather than stick with the traditional nostalgic daemonic themes set out back in the early 90s.I like the idea of these Word Bearers not having the spiritual clout to summon a daemon of one of the four powers so instead have to dumpster dive for something far more primal.

Now that I know I can turn something like this out quickly it means I can now do some passion projects like say a Grox herd or a Mind Slaver, more off the beaten track stuff.

Thanks mate :)

I do really like the new look for the Gravis armour, the waist change for the Eradicators they made really sold it for me. I think I have about twenty at the gold stage now and really want to add some of the Heavy Intercessors further down the line for ObSec.

I think the Mk II works really well with Mk X because it's quite a simple conversion if anyone did want to try. Once you get the hang of the chest and armour plate you really don't have do anything to the legs if you don't want to because it is very similar to the older mark. I like how accessible the conversions of Mk X can be, you can go whole hog and cut and chop and resculpt or just slap an old helmet and back pack on along with Firstborn weapons.

Bit of an update.

Basecoated the Daemon with Blood Angels contrast, the plan next is to go over this with purples and cadian flesh glazes to try and create a semi translucent effect to the skin. It's looking very fleshy at the moment which I actually kind of like but it's not the look I am aiming for.

P1010113

P1010114

P1010115

P1010116

Doghouse, I mean this in the best way possible - that is quite possibly one of the most disturbing things I've seen on this forum. It's amazing, and not at all what I was expecting from what you said last night :LOL

The flesh tones are brilliant - particularly the area just above and behind the jaw (I suppose where it's ears should be) it's reminding me a lot of the effect you see on flesh that's been pickled / preserved for a very long time. 

Very creepy, and very nicely done.  

Sherrypie: Thanks :) What I am going to attempt to do is make it cleaner on the more human side but with some brusing and vein effects then on the proper daemon side make it all mottled and nasty looking.

jaxom: I take that as a compliment mate, definately an influence on me I think as I grew up loving that stuff. I think the trick is not to take it too far and 80s horror is perfect for that. This one is supposed to be raw and beastial but I may make a second at some point that is far more subtle or elegant. Thinking about it maybe some chains and binding wards might work for this guy to convey that a bit more.

Centurion Jay: Thanks mate, hopefully I'll know when to stop on the skin and not mess it up! :D

Ironwrought: Thanks, yeah is definately the tone that I am hoping to achieve with this guy. I want something unsettling but not venturing into full on horror that may upset people. It's definately intended to be more in the style of freddie vs jason verging on the edge of Event Horizon or Pan's Labyrinth kind of thing rather than something that is all violence and buckets of blood.

There are some elements of 40k I've used such as the style of the pronounced spine that you see on a lot of stuff and I got the idea for the stinger from second ed Tyranids.

One thing I didn't do was take any wip shots which is a bit of a shame but I was on a roll at the time, I do have an armature shot that will show how it started. Basically i wrapped tin/alluminium foil around a simple wire frame then layered the polymer clay over the top baking it between stages so that I had a solid base to sculpt on.

P1010121

As for the current state I've started to add a few bits as I continue painting like the small wooden stakes that I used cocktail sticks for or the parchments. This was made using a small sheet of tin foil and adding two layers of masking tape to both sides. This gave me a parchment like texture which I then stained with Skeleton Horde contrast with the foil allowing me to manipulate it a little to look like it is blowing in the wind.

P1010122

P1010125

P1010127

P1010128

Edited by Doghouse

Blindhamster: Thanks mate! :biggrin.:

I have had this sat on my desk for that last few days and it's starting to creep me out a bit. I have an Inquisitor on speed dial just in case...

jaxom: Thanks. The eye one? Yeah the creepier bit is that the blisters start low down and as you get further up the leg it is trying to form eyes from them.

Edited by Doghouse