Indomitus Crusade- It Remembers the Flesh - Daemon Sculpt

Doghouse

acrowsperch: Thanks :)

Majkhel: Thanks, I was hoping it'd come across like that. Yeah maybe some yellows or greens might work.

KBA: Cheers. :) Yeah I completely get the Thing vibes as well, probably my favourite film so there are influences there for certtain. I think it's knowing where to draw the line, I think if you go too over the top horror it slips out of how we see daemons and stuff portrayed in 40k. There is no way I would want to see hyper realistic Slaanesh or Khorne for example. I think the beauty of Chaos in general is that it can be what you want it to me as it's mainly down to interpretations of emotion in the material universe. I for one like the idea that somewhere in the tides of the warp lurk minor entities formed from a child's fear of the monster under the bed or anger at misplaced keys when you are in a hurry or the fear of going to the dentist. :D

I think it can be as dark or irreverant as you want it to be which is fun.

Bit of an update

Currrently staining parchments and just contrasted the boney spine protrusion at the back which will both be lightened and massively cleaned up. I like idea of the scrolls being wards of binding and I think I need to add some chains to give the impression of how it needs to be bound because of it's rage.

P1010131

P1010135

Turning back to the Astartes I'm a bit torn at the moment. The most obvious theme would be Word Bearers because of the Daemon but part of me is leaning towards Alpha Legion. I am tempted to paint them as such but in the colours of the Imperial FIsts with accents of the hyrda icon here and there. I really like the idea of them using Imperial gear to pass themselves off as Loyalists much in the same way you'd see war movies where they steal enemy uniforms and you have these tense check point crossing scenes when you are left wondering if the disguises would work. The difference being in this case that instead of the resistance you have cultists and they just summon this big guy to sow confusion and terror.
Personally speaking I think that given that Astartes are so few given the sheer size of the Imperium unless it's someone like the Death Guard rocking up to an Imperial world demanding supplies not many citizens will know the difference between a Loyalist or a traitor especially with the likes of the Carcharodons or even basic Reivers.
In the meantime I'm cracking on with the armour on them sculpting the ridges on the back of the legs. I know there is normally a cable running down the center on the plastics but it's a lot of work and I really want to make lots of these.

P1010133

Another quick update.

Working on the armour plates and will start the rivets next. The more I mull the idea over of Alpah Legion posing as Loyalists the more I like it. Andy Chambers, way back in the day in second, established the roots of what the Traitor Legions would become. The original idea was that for most many had just emerged straight from the Heresy into our time but the Great Crusade was actually a lot more limited in technology at the time lacking a lot of tech like land speeders because the STC (I miss hearing that term :( ) templates had not been found as with other innovations that would come later like the Razorback and Land Raider Crusader, the latter of which was a case of lets stick bolters on this thing and see what happens.

Now the actual practical logic behind this was that GW didn't make Chaos Land Speeders or Razorbacks. But this was later expanded on by Aaron Demski-Bowden, whom I whole heartedly agree on with on this subject, into showing the lesser bands of traitors as having to scavage and steal gear and ammo to survive and this is something I'd like explore more. So I think what I will do is paint them up in loyalist markings with Hydra added because like I say the average joe isn't going to know the difference and have them as a struggling warband using subterfuge to inflitrate Imperial outposts and take what they can while dropping the occational daemon bomb in their midst to sow chaos while they escape. 

P1010137

P1010139

P1010138

I've also been base coating the Execrators so I'll pop up some shots of that next time.

Another quick update I'm toying with at the moment. I've started to add Cadian duffle bags to a couple of models for stuffing with ammo and grenades that they can steal from Imperial outposts and stations. The premise being if they are especially low on ammo they turn up at a remote outpost demanding resupply in the name of Him on Terra. As most Imperial Citizens never have seen an Astartes beyond maybe art and pict captures they're not really going to know the difference between or even the existance of Chaos Marines. At other more desperate times they will steal from vessels, boarding them and taking what they need by force.

I am still adding the details like the straps but I thought it might be interesting to add out of place details, Astartes typically go into battle carrying just what they need for that battle so this and the hydra icons should make people do a double take.

P1010140

P1010141

P1010142

I'm just happy to see that in this era of Primaris there are still Howling Griffons with chain bayonets :D *

*Edit: Ugh sorry I was using the simple version on phone and that page was a few back haha - flesh demon is great! Very Cronenberg. Great work as always.

Edited by Sandalphon

Majekhel: Thanks :)

Apologist: Thanks mate. I think Jes Goodwin put it best when it he you want to view the ordinary through a 40k lense. My logic is kind of like a bank job, so they get in and take what they can then get out. The idea of them using Cadian duffle bags appeals to me using the 40k lense.

Sandaphon: Thanks :) Rogur Trader all the way!

Another bit of update, this is a bit of a visual trick but works well I think. I really want to include a Primaris in the force, so this guy is going to be used in terms of rules as a regular marine thanks to the new two wounds thing and so I've given him a stolen regular bolt gun from a tactical marine. I've used the limited edition Lieutenant as the basis of this model because he's actually a little bit bigger than regular Primaris, not sure why though, but for my own purposes it works well as a kind of truescale Primaris marine model.

The idea being he's a Brazen Drakes Greyshields survivor. For those that may not know the Brazen Drakes were a regular marine chapter that had found some of it's Astartes were randomly manifesting psychic abilities and so were executed by the Chapter which ultimately didn't go down too well with some of the chapter and civil war erupted. When the Torch Bearer fleet arrived to drop off the Primaris the Chapter was declared traitor and the Custodes and Sisters of Battle ended up fighting the Primaris who didn't think it was fair. So this guy has survived and teamed up through neccessity with the Alpha Legion cell.

P1010143

Then next up I have bit more on the bags with the addition of the straps.

P1010144

P1010145

Then lastly something different, as I want to start stepping up my sculpting game I'm making a Grox which will either end up as a stand alone beastie or maybe a Necromunda beast of burdon or something. I'm just working on the rough form and positioning before I begin texturiung the skin and start on it in earnest.

P1010147

P1010148

Lovely concepts mate, and fantastically executed as always :yes:  Very much looking forward to seeing the grox when it's done. 

My logic is kind of like a bank job, so they get in and take what they can then get out. The idea of them using Cadian duffle bags appeals to me using the 40k lense.

Now I want to see Heat remade but as a 40K movie :teehee:  Al Pacino and Robert De Niro as astartes , when? 

Damn, I missed lots of updates.

Ok, first, those Marine conversions... Amazing. I legit thought they were made out of actual regular pieces and you only changed the posing! And that speaks volumes about the tidiness of your conversions and GS work. That tool also looks like a total time saver! It takes me ages to do that with the usual exacto knife, with far less impressive results.

The Deamon Prince: badass concept! Indeed, looks like something straight out of The Thing :biggrin.:. Man, your sculpting skills are otherwordly. If you want to add wings to a similar sculpt in the future, I'd suggest keeping on with your theme and make them so they look like they're actually trying to take shape into the material realm. The paint job is on point, as well. I'd add some veins!

Going Alpha(rius): go for it! I look forward to your sculpting! By the way, there seems to be a "movement" going on in Instagram toying with your very same idea. I think it is called Omegon's Wrath. Many artists are contributing with badass artwork and conversions. Such as this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/V0mAR_85SH1ZudzmJl1u5vvFSjpWRslB4xqnIKoOK2PR3FNcAG2cgKj1WoIokCU3rRUcKJ0tDA6DXs2r-PCPNAjdavCrb4U4WdHKGW-vpsw09uIyydDSVEdL6-YnQBr6WHcO7fHdhiDbc0y_kuw3eR95qVKPAvZICrAnng4poLGEVLfGDwBRs6g4K7bkgZOZ2g

However, I think you're going for a more tactical look, which is cool as well! Anyway, looking forward to your next update.

Ironwrought Huw: Thanks :biggrin.:

Master Umbra: Thanks very much. Yeah the tool is really nice to use, it saves so much time cutting and if you practice a bit you can use it to actually shape the parts and plastic, I use the drill bits for exactly this.

I think there are some Thing infuences in there but I think it's mainly the Daemon using what it has to hand to reshape it's form.

The way I see it being used is they go in, things start going badly so they break their ritual kit and transfom some unwitting servitor or serf into the creature. Something like you have them pinned down covering one of their number as he paints out a circle with the rune of the creature in the centre as shot whizz past and his brothers nag him to hurry up as he chants the creature's name to summon and bind it.

That was was what I was thinking as well if I did go the route of the wings, something make of ribs or something unsettling like that.

I've not seen Omegon's Wrath before but I will look into it so thanks for the heads up.

Speaking of updates...

Just a bit more but this time with a hybrid Mk IV/V.

P1010156

Next bit is an odd experiment. I'm a big fan of Xenos creatures beyond the more commonly known races such as the Aeldari and the Orks or Necrons. So I want to try and create one of the alien tech pieces from the Astartes animation which I have seen in a few places as being the Yu'Vath. I thought it'd make a nice terrain piece with it bound and covered in Imperial tech studying it like in the animation.

P1010153

P1010151

Still early days and I am shaping and shaving down the surface. From what I can tell it's surface is almost like molton lava that has cooled and has a flat etched surface. I doubt I can do it justice but I figured it'd be fun to try, it's basically a ball of tin foil with a layer of super sculpty over the top. Now that I've sculpted the ripples onto the surface I'm sanding them down to give them the flat surface.

Then once I have it where I want it I'll add some Imperial tech like the chained up one in the animation.

Jaxom : Yeah I think yo uare right there mate, it looks like the same stuff. It reminds me of the classic Tau stealth suit turning off models that were floating a round a while ago.

Master Umbra: Thanks mate, it's an odd one but coming along nicely. :biggrin.:

Speaking of which...

That is what I think of each time I work on this thing! :biggrin.:

Well I've done some more research and according to an AMA a while back these are alien transports of a race the guy that did the videos created. From what I can gather they were a human and xenos alliance that used these to transport through the warp.

I'm not really trying to do a straight copy but more of a tribute, so it's not connected to the story in Astartes other than this is a third device that has been found and the team examining it have no knowledge of the other two. It's just an artifact, it could be broken or dead or not linked to the others who knows?

I'm currently working on the cage that binds it and decided against a straight copy so in this case the Explorators that found it are taking a similar approach with similar tech but are still clueless as to what it is.

I still have to detail it yet but it's getting there. It is quite rough and ready in some respects because I did it by memory and I accidently made it a lot bigger. So I'm figuring it's some sort of variant of the original two. It's just a fun piece really to work on while I sculpt Mk III marines.

P1010162

P1010163

Then just as a quick update I got a Wall of Martyrs Bunker on a whim and have some insane narrative plans for it. I'm covering the Cadian remains on the front because they are cheap casts and the detail suffers a lot for it.

P1010161

Will you be raising the battlements?
HHG reference indeed comes to mind :) The Ball is coming along nicely.

BTW, I was wondering how your Judiciar is behaving? I have used your way of cutting and repositioning of the sword arm on the one I own and am now in the process of building him up. The theme will be: the Custodian of the Damned (from the Devastation of Baal)

• 2 weeks later...

Majkhel: Thanks :) Not at the moment in regards to the bunker, if possible I am toying around with making a patrol of guard stationed there. I really like the idea of an Imperial force cut off during the Indomintus Crusade having to fend for itself. I have about 4 models on my wish list and two of those are for that project.

I'm not sure about the Judicar at the moment but I like your idea that sounds cool, I hope that goes well for you.

Jaxom: Oh yes the Gravis are very much still on the table and all going well I'll get a couple of the Heavy Intercessor units to flesh them out.

Things will be a bit slow on updates for now.  My doctor is sending me off to be tested as a Covid Long Hauler so I'm tired a lot of the time and trying not to lose my job in all this mess. Hopefully I'll be back on this soon but still have a lot of ideas I want to share. Seriously thinking of tying Alpha Legion in with the Cabal for starters and got some grat ideas! :D

Thanks for the well wishes, it's greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

It's been a long six months but I am finally getting some hospital appointments now so fingers crossed so I should finally be on the road to recovery soon.

But meanwhile back in world of 40k...

Not done that much of late but still chucking a few ideas around. I've been playing with the idea of the Alpha Legion being lead by members of the Cabal which sort of sets them apart from just being your typical chaos raiders. I've always seen them as playing both sides of the Heresy so this appeals to me.

Still early days but I'm toying around with using this model as an Inquisitor posing as a noble woman. Like the Alpha Legion she is playing working for the Ordo Xenos as a deep cover agent while being a member of the Cabal.

For those who are sat there thinking the "Cabal?" it was s secret organisation comprised of xenos from all different races including humans but the Aeldari eventually foresaw that they would hinder their fight against chaos so wiped most of them out. So the idea would be that they would be a splinter cell lead by someone claiming to be one of the survivors of the purge back in the 32nd millenium.

P1010164

I've used the Genestealer magos as the base for the model and a Vampire torso from AoS along with various Escher bits and a Sister of Battle head. She's armed with a needle pistol and an alien power blade, Just about to start sculpting the sleeves on her.

Then back in the Underhive I am working on a few Necromunda models. The Enforcers are loosely like a pdf recruited and then stationed far from home in the depths of the Hive. I am not keen on the tailored look for the armour and clothing so as she is shorter with a smaller frame I'm working in a mass produced feel to her look. It's a one size fits all, wash the blood out of the armour and pass it onto the next recruit so of thing so I've been shaving the model down quite subtley to give this impression. The head is a forge world AoS Stormcast head.

I've yet to read the rules on these just yet but I am hoping they can access brutes as I really want to have the Ambot or Ogryn as part of the team.

P1010166

P1010168

The Slave Ogryns are really nice models, bit smaller than regular ones but fantastic proportions. If they can use them I'll definitely be sculpting up armour for an Enforcer Ogryn.

P1010170