EC vs Judiciar

Syward

I'm new to the BT, starting them up with Indomitus.

Is it just me, or does the new Judiciar seem like it's the new Primaris version of the EC? Aside from not getting the HI rule, and the cool, potentially devastating Tempormortis rule, they seem to have the same/similar abilities. 

So I'm curious, whats the advantage to taking one over the other or taking both?

Rules-wise, I actually wouldn't say they're very similar. The EC is a character-killer; the Judiciar is a utility character who happens to also be decent in combat.

The fact that the Judiciar is in an Elites slot, while EC is an HQ, is a big point in favor if the Judiciar for 9th, IMO. If you want a Captain aura, a Lieutenant aura, and a Chaplain, then you can't take the EC in a battalion.

We can't use the Chapter Champion stratagem, sadly.

Oh no, how come? What did I miss?

Is it because it’s in the F&F book? I thought they were still usable?

Yes, it’s in F&F. It’s because the Emperors Champion is our equivalent to a chapter champion.

Quite shocked to read people are willing to lose the ec in their list.

Isn't the ec our most defining unit choice?

Points went up, he's a character beatstick that specializes in killing characters, but there are plenty of space marine units that beat things up and most of our characters can kill other characters fairly reliably. Take a look at the Judiciar, not as offensive focused but the Tempermortis is actually broken when fighting vs another assault army and he will still mulch characters and some units in combat.

He is still a great model and unit, but he's also an HQ slot and if you are looking at it from an optimized POV its harder to justify. From a crusade perspective bring him whenever you want and engage in glorious melee combat for the Emperor!

Edited by Yossarion

Eh. Under the current rules, he's just a guy with a sword. If he got Vows or some version of the challenge rule again, he'd be a lot more fun to play.

In small games he can wreak havoc, but in bigger games, I feel like he either dies before he gets to combat, or by the time he makes it there, he doesn't make a difference.

In fluffy games i play him. But I dont think he is that strong.

VOWS !!! thats what he need. 

Edited by Medjugorje

I sure hope they make a primaris version soon.

Me too. I was really hoping/thinking they'd have a Primaris version when they released the rules in F&F. 

Eh. Under the current rules, he's just a guy with a sword. If he got Vows or some version of the challenge rule again, he'd be a lot more fun to play.

In small games he can wreak havoc, but in bigger games, I feel like he either dies before he gets to combat, or by the time he makes it there, he doesn't make a difference.

This was what I was thinking when I was reading & comparing the rules for EC vs the Judiciar. The EC, as cool as the concept is, doesn't seem to be all that great for the points & HQ slot when we could take a Judiciar in an elite slot & save the HQ slots for models with better utility (Capt/Chap/Lt). That's what prompted my post & why I was asking if there was a benefit/reason to take him.

It'd be cool if they brought back vows with the EC and of course, give him the Primaris treatment. 

Edited by Syward

This edition will see less characters then before because detachment cost cp and character are not that save anymore.

And then you have to choose which HQ slot if max. of 3 (because Battallion will be our choice). 

Captain or High Marshal is a must have so far

Chaplain is another must have.

then the third one is always Lieutenant/Castelan vs Emperors champion and therefore a castelan is better.

next step: If you choose a lieutenant for buffs then you can take a Judiciar as an elite  '(not as strong as the EC but not bad ) and this one buffes the army too.

Edited by Medjugorje

The judiciar takes an elite slot not an HQ slot, which if anything is an even more crowded slot for us. But they don't compete for slots at all.

Yes, but a batallion gives us 6 Elite slots vs only 3 HQ. And we need those HQ to be force multipiers, not just a beatstick character.