Blood Angel Intercessors - 1st models in awhile

DEL 707

Recently got myself a bigger desk, so I decided to designate it as a painting area.

To get back into the swing of things, I'd thought I'd go and paint some Blood Angels.

I bought the "Easy to Build" Intercessor pack, mainly because I didn't want to go crazy and buy a 10 man squad to start things off.
Also had to buy new paints since all of my old stuff is pretty solid.

Yjz1nPn.jpg

I messed up a bit with the mold lines, went a little crazy with the knife and put little divits in places, not too noticable, but annoying none the less.

Started with a Chaos Black undercoat, then about 3 layers of Mephiston Red.

T9ycUoH.jpg

Next up I started shading.

I kinda wish I took my time to slowly shade all the crevices individually. I hate to say it, but I had a "Oh **** this!" moment and just washed the whole thing!

It's probably taken me 3 times as long to tidy up the whole model now.

I'm doing everything in stages and randomly moving between model, but I think the 1st models ready for his Evil Sunz Scarlet highlight.

Zkn3RUh.jpg

I am hoping I can do a 2 stage highlight, Evils Sunz Scarlet, then Fire Dragon Bright. Never done it before, but I want to give it a try.

I know I havn't got very far, but greatly appreciate any critique or tips to help me out.

Looks like you are doing really good so far, DEL!

For the aquilas in the future, since you aren't doing a metallic color, you may want to consider using Grey Seer + Black Templar Contrast on them, they should have enough texture to give you a pretty smooth, good looking finish without needing to go in and do multiple layers for highlights on that black. Depending on how the first coat looks, you may even want to thin down a second coat about 3 or 4:1 of Contrast Medium to Black Templar and run that over it all for a bit of black tinting just to darken it more.

Instead of what looks like Nuln Oil, you may also want to consider shading with Agrax Earthshade, Biel-Tan Green, or Druchii Violet - all do good things shading red, it will just take some experimenting to see which you like best if you want to.

For the highlights, have you looked at Wild Rider Red instead of Fire Dragon Bright? It's less orange (but still some orange), but for the spot highlight it should do just fine. If you wanted to push it up to a two layer highlight + spot highlight, you can mix Wild Rider with Tau Light Ochre to keep from getting your highlights too orange.

You've achieved a really good color with them!

• 1 year later...

It's been well over a year and I've finally got an update.

lI600df.jpg

SCcakSe.jpg

When I started the Evil Sunz Scarlet highlight, I got annoyed and lost my nerve. So I ended up just shelving them away. Wasn't till about 2 weeks ago when I decided to have another crack at it.

As bad as I thought the 1st highlight was, the Fire Dragon Bright was the god damn devil!

No matter how thin I got it, it never did what i wanted and when it drided it would sometimes flake off.

Not sure why I bothered with the Evil Sunz Scarlet highlight, think I just painted over it.

Honestly, I want to pay a professional to thin my paints....

For the highlights, have you looked at Wild Rider Red instead of Fire Dragon Bright? It's less orange (but still some orange), but for the spot highlight it should do just fine. If you wanted to push it up to a two layer highlight + spot highlight, you can mix Wild Rider with Tau Light Ochre to keep from getting your highlights too orange.

I might try that out on the next model.

I love and hate The Fire Dragon Bright, it makes it stand out, but a little too much. I'm not sure if it's the colour itself or the fact that my highlight lines are too thick.

Edited by DEL 707

Better late than never, really good job and I actually like the orange highlights as it's very old school.

One thing to try would be if if you feel it is too bright water down some of the red basecoat paint you used quite a bit and go over the red and highlights like a wash. Make it really thinned with water and then you can apply multiple washes if needed.

Practice on a spare model or even a bit of plastic first but make it watery and cover the entire red areas.

Personally I think it looks fine as is.

• 2 weeks later...