The Rebellion of Ixion Forge

Yet another side project (because who can have just one army on the go?). My Alpha Legion/Dark Mechanicus army.

Quick summary of my head cannon for this army:

Alpha Legion operatives have started a rebellion and ultimately a chaos incursion on a Forge World in order to divert Imperium forces en mass to the system so that they arrive ahead of a hive fleet that would otherwise consume the planet before the Imperium can arrive. They need the planet to survive long enough so that another operation elsewhere can be accomplished.

So this is my justification for scratching two itches at the same time. Some Dark Mechanicus (or is it Mechanicum?) and an Alpha Legion army. Apologies for lack of basing, I want to do it all at once to keep it consistant and I promised myself I would get the cultists completed  first.

Leading the rebellion and the first operative on the ground:

20200626_234004-scaled-e1593215384959.jp

In my headcannon my Alpha Legion warband (cell?) will use deamons as tools but will not allow possession or corruption in their own ranks (its hard to infiltrate imperial operations with a tenticle arm or horns). So any demons in the army will be converted from mechanicus parts and in mechanicus colours (hence why the helstrider is mechanicus red).

20200626_234014-scaled-e1593215417516.jp

Second heavily adjusted venom crawler

20200626_235451-scaled-e1593215506441.jp

Sorcerer with Jump Pack

20200626_235205-scaled-e1593215482163.jp

Standard Sorcerer

20200626_235151-scaled-e1593215447698.jp

Lord with Jump Pack

20200626_233534-scaled-e1593215196470.jp

With a bit of paint

20200824_200202-scaled-e1598298363996.jp

My hastily painted cultists (because I am lazy and painting 50 odd cultists to the best of my ability tires me out just thinking about it) I guess I can go back and re-paint them as and when I feel like it (Yeah right keep telling yourself that).

I really wanted these guys to be a mish mash of workers and gangers, adeptus mechanicus and re-programmed servitors to show that this is a rebellion. The bases will show signs of protests and I really wanted to try to capture what a rebellion (one that has been manipulated by chaos) on a forge world looks like.

20200824_195854-scaled.jpg

20200824_195654-scaled.jpg

Rhino

20200626_235509-scaled-e1593215585594.jp

Not photographed (yet) but painted 5 chosen, 5 chaos space marines,  Alpharius (the Alpharius) and 5 not warp tallons (because i like jumpy dudes with lightning claws and damn it I am having them in my army)

Built but not painted:

5 Havocs with chain cannons

5 Chosen

5 Chaos Space Marines

So so many cultists

Yet to be assembled/bought:

1 Chaos Knight (because its cool so why not)

2 Oblitorators (using Kataphron Destroyers as a base)

1 more Rhino

Any suggestions/ideas/criticism would be welcome.

How did you make that clean, crisp AL lord from GS? Mind giving advice on the plasticard thickness/approach used to make the trim?

This stuff looks stellar, if that needed saying :tongue.:

I used a primaris model as a base (I wanted him to be a bit bulkier then the rest of the guys to stand out, not because I wanted him to be a primaris), shaved off all the extra armour plates to reduce his chest a bit and remove the hip plates, knee joints that make him obviously primaris. It would work on any model, just trim off any iconography that will get in the way.

The scales I just layered down a thin sheet of Green stuff over his armour then pushed the tip of an exacto blade into at a slight angle in a layered pattern left to right, top to bottom. Pretty simple, just takes time and a bit of practice. I've done it on a few models before this to varying degrees of success and I will probably do it again so I will take pics next time.

Waited for that layer to dry (mostly so I don't squish the previous hard work) before trimming off the excess (leaving space for the rim) and adding the outside trim just by adding a thin sausage and flattening it with a silicon tool.

Other components I have sculpted separately (hydra heads, the leg iconography and the leather loin cloth thingy) then waited until they were kinda tacky but not fully set before I tried to manipulate them into the model.

I've learned the hard way that trying to rush green stuff and sculpting the entire model at once just ends up in squished bits.

The Rhino trim I unfortunately cannot tell you the exact thickness, I have had the plasticard for years and years and came in a mixed amount but its pretty thin (less then a 1mm probably 0.5mm), feels almost like quality thick paper to handle. But its basically just narrow segments glued down with poly cement with the occasional triangle to add a spike, usually at a corner or edge of a plate, you can easily figure out the construction from the pic above there is no trick. Then I just took a blade to it to carve chunks away to give it a bit of battle damage and wear.

Great stuff, love the conversion for the AL lord. Fantastic work. :smile.: 

That lord is really nice, the GS work on it is really good and I love the pose. Very well thought out model. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys, I am very happy with him.. I spent a long time playing with the right pose, including shooting a plasma pistol and pointing. I opted for simple, glad it paid off. 

My only concern is he is very bulky on the back.

20200626_233608-scaled-e1593215272241.jp

20200626_233650-scaled-e1593215319191.jp

I feel like the back hydra's body looks rather blobby/ low detail compared to the rest, with less of the intended "snake" body?

Perhaps, I was aiming for a sort of hammered metal, my intend was to give the impression of a texture and I will attempt to pick out scales with the paint job.

• 7 months later...

So this is a thing I made. My cobbled together out of random bitz, Magos ready to lead his Heretek Cult in his gigantic warframe, Inspired by the cover of the new Adeptus Mechanicus codex. I originally intended him to be about the size of a primaris dread or a hell brute to proxy him. However he kept growing so now I am not sure what he can be played as.

I still have a couple of Las cannons or Plasma cannons to mount to the left shoulder. 

I wanted to capture the weird gangly and slightly odd proportions of the artwork and the horrendous integration of what I assume is the original human body with the secondary head.

Still alot of cleanup required and its going to be a nightmare to paint.

IMG_20210408_215703-scaled-e161791650891

Oh and heres a knight....

DSC_0065-scaled-e1617918738948.jpg

And I guess because I think my combined thread has been removed...

Here's some custodies stuff too I got for my birthday so I guess I started a new army...

DSC_0060-3-scaled-e1617919435308.jpg

DSC_0061-2-e1617919355142.jpg

Edited by jester_prince