Advice on texturing MDF boards

Hello fellow Bolterites,

I'm trying to build a city table (4'x4') for Adeptus Titanicus.

I've got the cobble stone pattern I want - GSW's 15mm pattern, but I'm struggling with making it work for me on the massive scale of a 4'x4'.

Here's my first go at it. I'd say it was semi-succesful, provided I figure out exactly how I want to cover the seams. Guess I needed to seal the board first, as the day after it was warped beyond any recovery. No matter, I got 5x more of these boards to play with, so 1 more test board I guess :D

Problem 1: What material should I use - spackle was an insane mess, since I oiled it whilst using the rolling pin. Suggestions for something that's less sticky would be appreciated.

Problem 2: Should I go about this smarter, in that I should use the rolling pin in a circular fashion, or pre-make strips, or... any ideas welcome!

I3KyjgA.jpg

Qu72CrO.jpg

I had a similar problem although i just made "big" flat egypt inspired hieroglyph stones for basing using the green stuff world pins. I tried green stuff and grey stuff and milliput and had a mess due to stickiness of the milliput and green/grey stuff.

I got best results using Fimo clay ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fimo ) and using a window cleaner spray bottle with cooking oil inside. The procedure I used is this one:

1. Prepare the kitchen oven as per the fimo clay package instructions.
  2. Put the fimo clay on an oven tray with parchment paper (oven baking paper) and flatten the fimo clay with flat roller until you get a level and even surface.
  3. Spray the flattened clay surface it thinly with the cooking oil.
  4. Plan your texturing in terms of pattern orientation and edges.
  5. Carefully roll textured pin over the clay surface with even pressure.
  6. Check surface.
  7. Bake the tray with clay in the oven as per clay package isntructions.
  8. Let it cool down after removal from the oven.
  9. Remove it from the parchement paper carefully to prevent breakage.
  10. Clean it with wash-up liquid/dishwasher detergent to remove the oil/grease on the surface and glue it onto your board tiles with super glue or (preferably) 2-component epoxy glue.

Thanks guys!

Seems that toofatlardies got some good guides, will check him out!

Ah, FIMO? I've never actually used it, though it is available in every single arts and crafts store here - I'm thinking, it's not cheaper than super sculpey, and I got a heat gun, so maybe I just go with super sculpey... it doesn't shrink, and that's pretty important I reckon, and it holds detail better than FIMO if the firmness is anything to go by. I suppose if I keep the textured flats somewhat irregular in shape and size, that could work well, and be easy to manage!

Oh, hey, I could do a semi-flooded table, that would allow me to break up the outlines of the pavement sections with muddy water!

Thanks, this has helped me a lot actually!