Deathwing Bladegaurd WIP

Saw a youtube on how to do the conversions for these.  Probably the first real big conversion (other than swapping out a head or hand) that involved some serious cutting and shaping.  The vid only doubled up the shoulder pad on the shield side, but I realized the Deathwing shoulder pads match the shields.  As they don't get the crux on the left side, I put the Dark Angels there and the matching shield/shoulder on the right.  The extra layer looks pretty good and makes them look pretty beefy.  Will update as the paint job commences.

First Legion Bladeguard trio

IMG 4046

painting, or at least online assistance in how to paint has come a long ways since I first started 40k.  Priming, undercoat, base coat, shade, base coat again, first highlight, second highlight...  dang, don't remember ever doing this many steps...  prime coat and dry brush was all I used to do...  but huge difference in quality...

IMG 4048

Armor is done and heading to the other colors.  Next time I do this, I will probably cut off the shield arm and do it as a sub assembly.  It really hampers painting that side of the model.  I'm still trying to figure out how the shield is going to look.  I'm not 100% on the bone trim color as shown on the Deathwing terminator box, but it might blend everything together better...