Primaris Vanguard in camo armour?

nusphigor

Hey guys!
A very talented guy in a facebook group pull out an infiltrator with a very awesome desert camo pattern on his armour. I liked it so much that i've decided to paint mine in those colors. But, i have been looking for lore support for that and haven't found anything aside from camo cloaks.

I know that when guilliman and cawl put out the primaris marines and the revision to the codex astartes many changes were made to the space marines we all know, maybe this camo on marine armour and tanks has been reused? (as in old editions that was a thing, even used in the badab war series too)

Do you guys know if this is the case? and also, do you guys know where can i read about it?

Cheers!

We do have attested 'modern' examples of non-vanguard non-primaris space marines applying camo schemes to their armour. The IA Badab War books from 5th edition show Howling Griffons and Raptors wearing "codex approved" terrain-specific liveries so it's still perfectly fine for at least some chapters to do. And those guys were tactical marines.

Given that we also have cases of scouts wearing camo (definitely camo cloaks and facepaint, but I think also there was an 'eavy metal guide in WD to painting scout armour in camo?), it'd be weird for it to be forbidden to phobos-armoured dudes filling much the same role. Keep a pauldron in the original scheme so as not to offend the machine spirit and it'd be fine.

thanks guys!
But have you seen any documents on primaris using camo?
I am an old head and still trying to get myself around primaris so maybe could you guys give me pointers on where to read more about them? (specially vanguard, who are the ones that feel the more odd to me)

I would look at which chapters specifically use camo. Basically Primaris adopt the ways of their new Chapter so if Primaris are inducted into a Chapter that uses it or alters their pattern in any way be it nightworld colours such as the Howling Griffons did or honour colours then they will adopt those.

I think the Raptors actually changed their entire colour scheme to suit the world they landed on which was jungle if I remember rightly.

So yes they can use camo if you want them to. Forge World are updating the Badab Wars Chapters with suggestions on which traits to use to represent them so you're bound to get some ideas from that.

Most of the Vanguard stuff I know is from Shadowspear and the Codex.

I think this is ultimately something you have to determine for yourself - if you aren't building a force tied to a specific illustrated campaign or are specifically using a named commander that would never consider it, you can always write that a Vanguard strike force/elements was determined to be best served and more mission capable by being in camo.

Yeah, I think there hasn't been any specific reference to vanguard marines wearing camo but when it's already attested to in some chapters (and not just the stealthy ones) and in the vanguard's predecessors in the scouts, it's more a case of 'go ahead if you want and as fits your background' rather than seeking examples that aren't there yet. 

The Shadowspear booklet and the associated "Codex: Vanguard Space Marines" are ok if you can get it but there's not a huge amount of detail and I think most of the art reappeared in the second 8th ed. SM codex. There's no images of them in camo or particular discussion of it.

And doing so, they miss the point of Space Marines. "Camouflage is the colour of cowardice."

Eh, tell it to scouts, or anyone with a camo-cloak, or the Raptors, or the Howling Griffons, or the pre-heresy Salamanders or White Scars...

And doing so, they miss the point of Space Marines."Camouflage is the colour of cowardice."

One of the OG Space Marines just came back and said “camo is cool”. Soooo no point has been missed. It’s flipping back to how things were, along with much of the changes Guilliman has made.

Wow many thanks for your response guys!
This is the camo scheme i was talking about, painted by Tiger Guo on the Primaris Marines group on facebook:
(I'm posting a link because the image is huge)

https://scontent.fbog2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/119487025_3857699930913361_2178588234779726212_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_eui2=AeHlw8ZZmJj5FUQXbiYSqC-RplhWVjDYEdqmWFZWMNgR2l07dfpsfDtJutmoKzzGri8&_nc_ohc=gRr0CvLgGtAAX_igqUo&_nc_ht=scontent.fbog2-1.fna&oh=1b7aeef967fbf70f6d37418d540ec967&oe=5F8C3E5C

it is stunning and yet really simple to paint. I have been all day painting my infiltrators in this scheme and i'm about to finish, so it is quite fast to do.

My chapter is Imperial Fists but i don't want to paint yellow on these, as the camo only looks quite neat. How ever i am painting the chapter's symbol and the company kneepad on the regular colors.

Thanks for your answers, i had no idea that the info on vanguard primaris was so scarce.

I will post a pic of my minis once i have finished them, if you want to see :)

Yeah that's great. I'd be interested in hearing how it's done.

I've got a pile of grey plastic marines that wouldn't work particularly well for my Crimson Fists. I'm thinking of doing them as a homebrew chapter and a camo scheme would be pretty cool. I'm considering various options and this is a nice one.

And doing so, they miss the point of Space Marines.

"Camouflage is the colour of cowardice."

You might as well equate bravery with stupidity with that kind of philosophy. Why is it people have this vision of Space Marines as mentally deficient when it comes to the professional art of warfare?

You might as well equate bravery with stupidity with that kind of philosophy. Why is it people have this vision of Space Marines as mentally deficient when it comes to the professional art of warfare?

Because, 'Drive me closer so I can hit them with my sword!' is 40K.

Rogue trader space marines had camouflage, ravenguard are an official chapter and they use stealth, as do many of their successors. There’s a time for stealth and there’s a time to show your colors.

Rogue trader space marines had camouflage, ravenguard are an official chapter and they use stealth, as do many of their successors. There’s a time for stealth and there’s a time to show your colors.

I know, but the question isnt about if Marines used/use camo. The reason why people have this vision of Marines as 'mentally deficient....professional art of warfare.' is because the setting is intentionally obnoxiously over the top.

I know, but the question isnt about if Marines used/use camo. The reason why people have this vision of Marines as 'mentally deficient....professional art of warfare.' is because the setting is intentionally obnoxiously over the top.

I know you know, but does metal mammoth?

Yet, the most fan beloved and lauded piece of Space Marine fiction in years ... Astartes ... portrayed them as cold calculating professional soldiers using intelligent squad tactics, and fierce fighters in hand to hand when it was required. 

There was no buffoonish "For the Emprah". No need to strengthen ones will with false piety. Soldiers with a mission, not an agenda. The scene with the psykers was my favorite, but how the Captain and Lieutenant handled the Inquisitor ... that will live forever.

Hey if Charge of the Light Brigade is your thing more power to you, me I'm more of a Roger's Rangers kind of guy.

Yet, the most fan beloved and lauded piece of Space Marine fiction in years ... Astartes ... portrayed them as cold calculating professional soldiers using intelligent squad tactics, and fierce fighters in hand to hand when it was required. 

There was no buffoonish "For the Emprah". No need to strengthen ones will with false piety. Soldiers with a mission, not an agenda. The scene with the psykers was my favorite, but how the Captain and Lieutenant handled the Inquisitor ... that will live forever.

Hey if Charge of the Light Brigade is your thing more power to you, me I'm more of a Roger's Rangers kind of guy.

What?

Spears was the best Space Marine work in recent memory. :p

I think until GW actually state how they expect people to see how marines operate are it's going to be down to personal interpretation and to be honest that will never happen.

The lore leaves a lot to the imagination so you can see equally marines as portrayed in Astartes or screaming litanies of faith charging head long into enemy fire.

I fall into the camp that they can be both, so you have Astartes using camo when appropriate while chanting litanies of hate and blessing the machine spirits of their weapons.

I think GW are pretty clear that all these interpretations are correct. There certainly are marines who think camo is the colour of cowardice. There are other marines who use it to get the job done. This is hardly the biggest difference of opinion between different marine chapters.

One thing that I think has changed is that some Primaris models actually look pretty good in camo. That hasn't always been the case in the past with other stuff.