Jink rules

solarisqc

I just found a hidden buff to the Jinx rules not discuss anywhere.

RAW, unit with the Jink rule get the 5++ save in the first turn of the battle. It's only in your movement phase that you lose the 5++ if you don't move. This mean if you play second, those unit have the 5++.

Look like a realy good reasoning from GW and a rules that will fix alot for us, making the first turn less important to us and giving the option to go second knowing all our unit with jink we be as survivle as if you play first and move them.

For reference, i included the completed Jink rules as it's available to anyone from GW.

JINK The Ravenwing are undisputed masters of mounted combat, and make for fast-moving targets that are difficult to draw a bead upon.

If this unit has the Grim Resolve Chapter Tactic, or it has the Inheritors of the Primarch Successor Tactic, and it is using the Chapter Tactic of the Dark Angels, then:

• Models in this unit have a 5+ invulnerable save against ranged attacks. In your Movement phase, if this unit Remains Stationary, it loses this invulnerable save until the start of your next Movement phase.

• Each time this unit Advances, until the start of your next turn, models in this unit have a 4+ invulnerable save against ranged attacks.

See the goonhammer review article for the original find

Edited: add source

Edited by solarisqc

Goonhammer claims that speeders don't get jink.  But doesn't elaborate on what lead them to that conclusion.

By the text it seems that the only requirement to get Jink is to have the Grim Resolve chapter tactic.

They are correct, speeders and ravenwing bikers do not (yet) have Jink. Bladeguard, the Deathwing Ancient, Relic Terminators and the other newly accessible Terminators do not have Inner Circle either.

The Jink special rule does not exist in Codex: Space Marines, and thus those units do not have them on the datasheet in the core book. They cannot reference an ability not in the book, so they'll elect to have a modification clause in the Supplement to add it to them.

The 'Grim Resolve' restriction means that if you take a successor custom tactics that aren't Grim Resolve, while picking Dark Angels as your Founding chapter, then Jink or Inner Circle have no effect. I believe this because you can see the careful overlays on how both apply a buff by invalidating/taking away from Grim Resolve.

Any addition of Jink/Inner Circle to apply to units with the Deathwing and Ravenwing keywords in Codex: Space Marines is something that we'll have to see in either a further FAQ, or in the supplement early next year. We're just missing the mechanic to make that happen.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Goonhammer claims that speeders don't get jink.  But doesn't elaborate on what lead them to that conclusion.

By the text it seems that the only requirement to get Jink is to have the Grim Resolve chapter tactic.

They are correct, speeders and ravenwing bikers do not (yet) have Jink. Bladeguard, the Deathwing Ancient, Relic Terminators and the other newly accessible Terminators do not have Inner Circle either.

The Jink special rule does not exist in Codex: Space Marines, and thus those units do not have them on the datasheet in the core book. They cannot reference an ability not in the book, so they'll elect to have a modification clause in the Supplement to add it to them.

The 'Grim Resolve' restriction means that if you take a successor custom tactics that aren't Grim Resolve, while picking Dark Angels as your Founding chapter, then Jink or Inner Circle have no effect. I believe this because you can see the careful overlays on how both apply a buff by invalidating/taking away from Grim Resolve.

Any addition of Jink/Inner Circle to apply to units with the Deathwing and Ravenwing keywords in Codex: Space Marines is something that we'll have to see in either a further FAQ, or in the supplement early next year. We're just missing the mechanic to make that happen.

Pretty much this. As of right now, the majority of my Ravenwing don't have Jink.

Ok, so that means when goonhammer posted this...

Land Speeders don’t get it 

What they meant to say was...

NO UNITS IN THE ENTIRE SPACE MARINE CODEX get it 

Got it.

And am I ready this right... we only get to use Jink if we are battle forged and exclusively Dark Angels?

Ok, so that means when goonhammer posted this...

Land Speeders don’t get it 

What they meant to say was...

NO UNITS IN THE ENTIRE SPACE MARINE CODEX get it 

Got it.

And am I ready this right... we only get to use Jink if we are battle forged and exclusively Dark Angels?

Yes, they were incorrect and it is that all units located in the Space Marine codex temporarily do not get the Jink and Inner Circle rules. This will obviously change later, either in a further errata or in a couple months when the book comes out. This is out of practicality, as Codex: Space Marines cannot reference a rule that is not in its publication. The supplement will have a mechanic for appending these rules to the appropriate datasheets, but it is not released yet. So even if it's annoying for now, I wouldn't worry about it.

You are reading that incorrect. You only get to use Jink if you play Dark Angels, or a Dark Angels successor that takes the 'Inheritors of the Primarch' chapter tactic to receive the Dark Angels 'Grim Resolve' chapter tactic. So if you play a Dark Angels successor, you get access to all the non named-character datasheets. If you do not diverge from the Dark Angels chapter tactic, you get the Jink and Inner Circle special rules on the applicable units. Dark Angels successors do not have a requirement anymore to take Grim Resolve, but they can't get the fancy rules if they decide to diverge there.

This restriction exists because, as a supplementary codex, Dark Angels now inherit all of the Successor chapter rules from Codex: Space Marines. You could conceivably take an entirely different chapter tactic and have Deathwing Knights, Ravenwing Black Knights and Landspeeder Vengeances, but you pay the price of losing Jink and Inner Circle, incentivizing you to adhere to the parent chapter rule more than an Ultramarines or Salamanders successor.

It is also more balanced, as Jink and Inner Circle now seem to be fairly well crafted to only give you their much improved buffs when denying buffs from Grim Resolve. So it means you can't get those rules and stack it with a different chapter tactic that doesn't have pieces negated, which would be vastly more powerful.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

We kept high speed focus and gained the new evasive assault strats to tide us over as well.

I actually like the layering that they have done with Jink.

The big change in 9th Edition from a lore perspective is that we now have defined Primaris Ravenwing units - Outriders, Invader ATVs, Storm Speeders. I think some of us might be deeply uncomfortable if these new units were treated as fully-paid up members of the Ravenwing and had rules to reflect that. Equally, there should be a distinction between our "regular" Ravenwing units, and the "elite" Ravenwing units. GW have IMO made this distinction within the rules. 

At the lower level - Primaris, and "regular" Ravenwing units such as Land Speeders and Bikes - get 1-turn only stratagem support. At the Elite level, we get full, always-on Jink, which reflects the fact that Dark Talon pilots are the best in the Chapter, Black Knights are the best riders in the Chapter, and the Darkshroud and Vengeance are highly-revered units unique to the Dark Angels. 

I'm hoping that in the supplement, there will be some interesting new lore which explores how the new Primaris Ravenwing (and Deathwing!) units are integrating into the Chapter.

They haven't done layering with Jink or Inner Circle, it is only not yet applied to the datasheets in Codex: Space Marines.

To be a standalone rulebook, C:SM cannot reference abilities that are not contained within in it, such as Jink. It will also not print special rules that do not apply to all the factions inside of it.

The Space Wolves have a similar setup/problem with Swiftclaws/bikes losing their Blood Claw abilities, which will be added back in in their book.

So we will see a mechanism like Ritual of the Damned has for 8E, where it 'appends' the Angels of Death special rule to all datasheets from Codex: Dark Angels, as a modification to the datasheets in it.

The rule from Ritual of the Damned:
"All Dark Angels units in Codex: Dark Angels (Excluding Servitors) gain the Angels of Death ability:"

Similar rule we could expect in Codex Supplement: Dark Angels

"All Dark Angels Ravenwing units in Codex: Space Marines gain the Jink ability."

Or

"All Dark Angels Deathwing units in Codex: Space Marines gain the Inner Circle keyword and the Inner Circle ability."

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Perhaps they will add these rules for Primaris in the supplement, but to be honest, I doubt it. They will not be adding data sheets for bikers or outriders, because they already gave those units the Ravenwing keyword in the new codex. I think it’s a pretty good guess that there will be Strategem support but not abilities for non-elite units, including “regular” bikes. Especially since they have made the abilities more powerful.

Except there are things like the Deathwing Ancient, Deathwing Master and Ravenwing Master in the base codex. Almost certainly those would get the appropriate abilities.

It would be perplexing for the Deathwing ancient to be the only model in the Deathwing command squad to not have Inner Circle. As well that in lore, all Deathwing are part of the Inner Circle.

We have already seen a mechanic for adding abilities in Ritual of the Damned, this is an easy mechanic for them to implement. I outlined how it was done above, along with examples of how it could be worded, along with even an example of how this will be necessary for another chapter (Space Wolves).

What gets what and what goes where is certainly just datasheet optimization. If something happened to line up with a datasheet that existed in Codex: Space Marines, it will have to wait for the supplement to get the appropriate rules.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion