Hq options

aura_enchanted

so what hq's has everyone been using in their armies, i recognize i could just go read the lists posted but that doesn't include everyone. And maybe you could share why you've gone with this one or that.

I'm expecting lots of primaris chaplains on bikes and talonmasters but I'd like to see if there's some interesting picks

Currently I'm eyeing up sam I am and the chaplain on a bike simply because I expect my warlords to have teeth and not a single other hq hits as hard as Sam does that isnt hampered in some way or im forced to compromise over such as power fist primaris captain, or yeee olde smash captain

Edited by aura_enchanted

Master in Terminator Armour with twin lightning claws and the Master Crafted relic. 6 wounds behind a 2+/4++ save and built-in THP makes him pretty durable. Twin Lightning Claws give him 6 attacks each with 2 Damage rerolling all failed wound rolls. Add a WLT to suit his role and away you go.

I've been playing around with Lazarus riding with a 5-man Assault Intercessor Squad in an Impulsor. ObSec with a reasonable amount of attacks on the charge and the ability to fight twice, it's not a bad unit to have to contest mid-table/enemy deployment zone objectives.

Primaris Chaplain on bike with a bodyguard of Outriders is my current choice for triggering Combined Assault, but that's largely because I've yet to try a Master Apothecary on a bike. 

Librarian I tried once and dropped, for two reasons: first, loss of the Interromancy powers, and second because taking a psyker really limits your secondaries choice when playing a psyker-heavy army - like Grey Knights. 

Belial is the only other HQ I've taken in recent games. Hitting on 2+, wounding on 2+ and being -1 to hit should make him a melee monster, but I haven't quite figured out the optimal delivery mechanism and support units.

Master in Terminator Armour with twin lightning claws and the Master Crafted relic. 6 wounds behind a 2+/4++ save and built-in THP makes him pretty durable. Twin Lightning Claws give him 6 attacks each with 2 Damage rerolling all failed wound rolls. Add a WLT to suit his role and away you go.

Masters dont exist anymore unfortunately, he won't have THP.

I think our core HQ will be the Interrogator chaplain. THP, and TDA, jump pack or more likely a bike. Hes a durable buff platform and the bike gives him the ravenwing keyword for DS strats. Librarians are a little too niche at the moment, not many of the powers really being impactful enough to justify including him IMO, but its very subjective to your list and the niche he fills, with the caveat of affecting secondary choices. The talonmaster seems pretty great tbh, inner circle and jink? Yes please. A lot of firepower coming out of a decently durable platform like that must be worth considering.

I think our core HQ will be the Interrogator chaplain. THP, and TDA, jump pack or more likely a bike. Hes a durable buff platform and the bike gives him the ravenwing keyword for DS strats. Librarians are a little too niche at the moment, not many of the powers really being impactful enough to justify including him IMO, but its very subjective to your list and the niche he fills, with the caveat of affecting secondary choices. The talonmaster seems pretty great tbh, inner circle and jink? Yes please. A lot of firepower coming out of a decently durable platform like that must be worth considering.

Inner circle is useless for the Talonmaster.

As a character no morale test for him, as a vehicule no THP and he can leave combat if he want.

Edited by solarisqc

Inner circle is useless for the Talonmaster.

As a character no morale test for him, as a vehicule no THP and he can leave combat if he want.

Oh thats a good point, missed that. Even so, the talonmaster is still a solid pick.

I'm using

-Captain on Bike w/ Power Sword and Armor Indomitus (Warlord: Outrider)

-Talonmaster

The Talonmaster doesnt have a Warlord Trait because the Chief Apothecary has Selfless Healer BUT if I gave him one it would be Rites of War since he is always near a unit that doesnt have obsec

-Captain on Bike w/ Power Sword and Armor Indomitus (Warlord: Outrider)

I do like the combo of Armour Indomintus + Bike for a seriously tanky T6 character. Even Bladeguard Vets will only be wounding on a 5+. For extra lols, add a Storm Shield for a 1+ armour save. :biggrin.:

I would take a Relic Blade over the Power sword as it packs significantly more punch for a modest extra cost.