Chief Librarian Dreadnought

CCE1981

So am I missing something? Is this legal?

As it stands, and again if I’m not missing anything, the Librarian Dreadnought has the Librarian keyword, so can be upgraded to Chief Librarian, with Psychic Mastery and give him Biomantic Sarcophagus for +1 to psychic tests and an extra 6” range to Psychic Powers Range, smashing a Blood Angels/Successor dreadnought bomb against a target with a 12” warp charge 6 Null Zone sounds kinda spicy. Plus you get two other Psychic Powers so Psychic Fortress needing a 5 to cast when you aren’t using Null Zone and the last to your taste. That just seems like a yes please!

It is legal. Personally, I think the Sarcophagus is enough cast reliability, I would still stick with a fighty warlord trait if the good ones aren't being used by other characters.

Edit: Also, I don't believe the range increase from the Sarcophagus applies to auras like Null Zone, just cast ranges.

Edited by Hintzy

Indeed, if the Thousand Sons FAQ is anything to go by, the additional range is applied only to the range of the initial power, not the radius of any effects when the power is cast.

Oh man. I'm glad I checked out this thread now. Well on the bright side I now have 190 points to spend on something else! 6" null just isn't worth it. Might still be doable with a jump Libby if jump packs weren't so costy

GW have FAQ'd in different directions in the past. As Psychic Fortress doesnt have a base range (e.g. -pick a unit within 12") to extend, there's a change that marine favouritism will creep in and allow it.

Actually, on re-reading, the TS wording specifically states that it doesn't apply to secondary ranges, so a power with a single range, direct from the psyker, should be affected by the sarcophagus. Good find!

gallery_58096_11765_78575.jpg

I ran the Libby dread in my last few games using this relic and WT combo with null zone. It only came in useful a couple of times but when it's useful, boy does it make a difference. Absolutely blasting and smashing through things with total ease. One of those things that's so pivotal I'll either run it with the relic and WT or not at all.

Libby dread needs to be protected carefully and thoroughly though

I think it was decided that the +6" range does extend an aura as well.  The Thousand Suns ruling only applied to subsequent ranges from an initial range.  

This would give the Librarian Dreadnought a 12" aura from it's larger base, which is a huge radius.  That is enough to strip a lot of Invulnerables from shooting.

The only real issue with this is the Rlics rule which forbids vehicles from taking relics, even vehicle only ones.

RAW the Libdread cannot take the sarcophagus - discuss with your group first. The Dark Angels VEHICLE relic just got FAQ'd so it can be used. 

Specific rules with exceptions always over-rule general rules.

The general rule in the PDF is that the listed relics cannot be taken by vehicles. The exception is that the Sarcophagus is for "Librarian Dreadnoughts Only" - that's a clear-as-they-come exception to the rule-one that is stating categorically that it can be taken.

I dont even see this as a question worth being discussed with opponents for fear of giving legitimacy to ugly gamist pedantry.

Guns on Characters have to be pretty impressive to be of any real use.  A Storm Bolter really just doesn't cut it, so is it a nerf sure, but not much of one, losing 2x bolt shots from 12-24" really doesn't phase me.  With the melee weapons on him I am targeting something that will more than likely shrug off those two shots anyways.

Yeah, but you should only be shooting the storm bolter at something tough if it's the only target. 4 stormbolter shots are hardly overwhelming, but those 2 extra shots from Bolter Discipline could have been useful for taking out a model from another unit, which could potentially be very useful. Making it easier to take control of an objective, knocking a unit down to <3 models so it doesn't cover a character, etc. Don't underestimate characters shooting even bolters. They shots can add up over time or do just enough to a unit to make finish them off or make it easier for another unit to finish them. 

Guns on Characters have to be pretty impressive to be of any real use.  A Storm Bolter really just doesn't cut it, so is it a nerf sure, but not much of one, losing 2x bolt shots from 12-24" really doesn't phase me.  With the melee weapons on him I am targeting something that will more than likely shrug off those two shots anyways.

Agreed, that is why people rarely take relic guns, at least on Marine characters. It always seemed odd that most SM Characters are only slightly better shots in most cases than the troops they lead. But put them in melee and they can carve through half a squad without breaking a sweat or go toe-to-toe with Dreadnoughts, Daemon Princes etc.

The list currently has a Libby, DCD and a venerable with twin las, backed up by an auto las predator. The ironclad is super tempting, but he isn't painted, and since dreads lost bolter discipline, I'm not as inclined to take one (mine only has the hurricane...)

Really keen to know how the DCD works out! I used it a couple of times before the magnagrapple was changed. Great fun bringing in from reserve with a +3 to charge vs vehicles. Alas no longer

Edited by Shaezus