DA & Successors Current fleets

WARMASTER_

Hello fellow unforgiven!!

I’m currently writing the lore on my successor chapter and I’m wondering about possible fleet assets they could possess, we all know the DA have a massive fleet!! current official count being 8 Battle barges 16 Strike Cruisers & 21 rapid strike vessels plus the rock!!

We also know the DA had the best heresy fleet, fielding many Terran relic ships including more then 3 Gloriana’s!!(with only one listed as destroyed). It’s also likely they lost some of the least in the heresy as they arrived late to the siege

Couple this with the fact the DA are easily the most generous chapter to their successors (as they’re a legion really) what do we think is a reasonable fleet for a successor?

Interested in your thoughts...

Edited by BladeOfVengeance

Well, when they were founded would affect how much of the old legion assets they would possess. Don’t forget that new ships are being built, so even if of a later founding, it’s possible the DA could have called in favours for your successors to get access to more ships than a contemporary chapter without such connections (just with fewer relic ships/more ‘modern’ designs)

We don’t have any hard and fast numbers for DA successors, but a good ballpark figure to start would be a strike cruiser for each company and a battle barge or two, then expand a little from there with appropriate justifications

Definitely, I’m thinking 3rd so they’d still have lots of legion relics

What do we think is the likely hood of one having some Terran relic ships or even an old Gloriana, the UM BT and the nemesis chapter all still operate heresy era ones and the DA had the most by a considerable amount 3 are names but it says they had at least that

What is the official source (or sources) for the size of the Dark Angels fleet? Do the official sources confirm that the Dark Angels currently have all such named ships in their fleet? Or do we simply have said number of named vessels that have been within the Dark Angels fleet over time?

It’s in the 7th edition codex that they have 8 Battle barges 16 Strike Cruisers & 21 rapid strike vessels plus the rock, the 8th edition gave no numbers on anything as they’re now pushing the secrecy and numbers even harder but that’s the last official numbers so I’d go with it.

they didn’t loose any ships in PA ritual of the damned as they only had one strike cruiser and I believe nothing was lost in the siege of the rock

So yeh pretty massive fleet

I’ll try and gather a list of confirmed names but most authors apart from Haley tend to just make up more ships as hoc (the ultras having like 15 named battle barges for example lol) there’s a few mentions in codex supplements etc but id say as it comes from a codex it’s about as official as we’re gonna get the number for now until the new supplement in January

What is the official source (or sources) for the size of the Dark Angels fleet? Do the official sources confirm that the Dark Angels currently have all such named ships in their fleet? Or do we simply have said number of named vessels that have been within the Dark Angels fleet over time?

It’s in the 7th edition codex that they have 8 Battle barges 16 Strike Cruisers & 21 rapid strike vessels plus the rock, the 8th edition gave no numbers on anything as they’re now pushing the secrecy and numbers even harder but that’s the last official numbers so I’d go with it.

they didn’t loose any ships in PA ritual of the damned as they only had one strike cruiser and I believe nothing was lost in the siege of the rock

So yeh pretty massive fleet

I’ll try and gather a list of confirmed names but most authors apart from Haley tend to just make up more ships as hoc (the ultras having like 15 named battle barges for example lol) there’s a few mentions in codex supplements etc but id say as it comes from a codex it’s about as official as we’re gonna get the number for now until the new supplement in January

If we go by the 'With 8 battle barges, 16 strike cruisers and 21 rapid strike vessels they are twice the size of the Ultramarines fleet and almost three times the size of the Blood Angels'. and check the 40k wiki (which is pretty accurate) we even have all the names of all 8 Battle Barges and 13 of the 21 Strike Cruisers:

1. The Rock
  2. Invincible Reason (Gloriana-class Battleship) - Flagship of Lion El'Jonson during the Great Crusade.
  3. Angel of Retribution (Battle Barge #1)
  4. Honoured Deeds (Battle Barge #2)
  5. Salvation (Battle Barge #3)
  6. Spear of Truth (Battle Barge #4)
  7. Ultimate Vengeance (Battle Barge #5)
  8. Undying Faith (Battle Barge #6)
  9. Unrelenting Fury (Battle Barge #7)
  10. Vinco Redemptor (Battle Barge #8)
  11. Angel of Caliban (Strike Cruiser #1)
  12. Amadis (Strike Cruiser #2)
  13. Adzikel (Strike Cruiser #3)
  14. Black Sword of Vengeance (Strike Cruiser #4)
  15. Vehemence (Strike Cruiser #5)
  16. Watcher (Strike Cruiser #6)
  17. Wrath of Caliban (Strike Cruiser #7)
  18. Herald of Night (Strike Cruiser #8)
  19. Lion's Roar (Strike Cruiser #9)
  20. Pride of Caliban (Strike Cruiser #10)
  21. Salvation (Strike Cruiser #11)
  22. Sword of Caliban (Strike Cruiser #12)
  23. Vengeful Blade (Strike Cruiser #13)

It also lists four Frigates, one Light Cruiser, seven Destroyers, an unknown-class Capital Ship, four unknown class ships, one unknown class Battlecruiser, one Unknown class Relic Battleship, one unknown class Outrider ship, three ships of unknown class and even a frigging Ramilies-class Starfort.

Note: Most of these vessels are mentioned as Great Crusade/Heresy-era, but most aren't listed as being destroyed. As such, we can assume the Dark Angels still have most of GC/HH ships spread across the Dark Angels and Unforgiven

Edited by Gederas

I’m planning on basing my successor on only having one ship in the fleet but it’s a relic heresy era Gloriana, As they operate from a single ship it’s shaped their organisation to a single force instead of company structures etc so I’m glad it’s not to outlandish to say now that they have one haha

I’m planning on basing my successor on only having one ship in the fleet but it’s a relic heresy era Gloriana, As they operate from a single ship it’s shaped their organisation to a single force instead of company structures etc so I’m glad it’s not to outlandish to say now that they have one haha

I think the issue you'll be running into here is that the Dark Angels only had one Gloriana, being the Invincible Reason.... Which is now the purview of the Deathwing...

As of crusade they had at least 3 that are named but it says they had more “truths razor” is never listed as being destroyed, they got loads of Terran relic ships from the emperor to take the Sol system and beyond as they were the legion legion at 10k strength, it’s a great read for DA fans, it’s expensive as hell but worth it

I could be wrong but I believe the DW’s battle barge is unrelenting fury at least that’s the one belial commands in lore the invincible reason is MIA

As of crusade they had at least 3 that are named but it says they had more “truths razor” is never listed as being destroyed, they got loads of Terran relic ships from the emperor to take the Sol system and beyond as they were the legion legion at 10k strength, it’s a great read for DA fans, it’s expensive as hell but worth it

I could be wrong but I believe the DW’s battle barge is unrelenting fury at least that’s the one belial commands in lore the invincible reason is MIA

Nope, the Invincible Reason is currently with the Dark Angels, as it was listed in their roll of Battle during the battle of the Fenris system