New Death company box thoughts?

1s=heretical

Will depend on the price really. Two of the new primaris DC boxes have the same contents as a regular intercessor box and two BA primaris upgrade sprues, so whichever is cheaper.

The primaris DC box at the very least gives you the option of only buying five, which will most likely be cheaper if you don't need more than 5.

I thought there are suspiciously few melee weapons for marines who went crazy with the black rage and want nothing more than to tear apart the enemy up close.

I was wondering if there's more game utility with ranged weapons over close combat weapons. My gut says get choppy but 9th may want me to be shooty instead.  Action economy? 

Assuming the leaked prices are correct it should be dead on arrival. It's more expensive than buying the Intercessors and upgrade sprue separately.

Yea:

1x 10 Int's +2x sprues = £53

2x Death co boxes = £55. 

Doesn't beat the initial release wave of Primaris units bundled with upgrade sprues. I think it was ~£2.50/sprue then, so 10 ints with 2 upgrade sprues for £40. 

The biggest flaw will be only containing the normal Intercessor sprues. Most people running DC Ints are going to want the assault variety and telling everyone to buy an extra box on top of the actual DC box in order to get all the weapon options is just odd: "so grab a box of Assault Intercessors to mix and match for a thematic, diverse squad."

There's nothing that makes the box DC-unique if those the are contents. I don't get why it's being branded as a DC box when really it's a box of 5 Blood Angels Intercessors you can paint black if you want to.

From a production point of view it must be a lot more efficient than actually having unique DC sprues - just using the existing sprues thrown together. But the kit itself adds nothing. It seems like it's purely there for people who don't understand all the different kits already to see on a shelf and go "ooh, I don't have those". It's just easy visual marketing for them without introducing anything unique/different.

The biggest flaw will be only containing the normal Intercessor sprues. Most people running DC Ints are going to want the assault variety and telling everyone to buy an extra box on top of the actual DC box in order to get all the weapon options is just odd: "so grab a box of Assault Intercessors to mix and match for a thematic, diverse squad."

There's nothing that makes the box DC-unique if those the are contents. I don't get why it's being branded as a DC box when really it's a box of 5 Blood Angels Intercessors you can paint black if you want to.

From a production point of view it must be a lot more efficient than actually having unique DC sprues - just using the existing sprues thrown together. But the kit itself adds nothing. It seems like it's purely there for people who don't understand all the different kits already to see on a shelf and go "ooh, I don't have those". It's just easy visual marketing for them without introducing anything unique/different.

They did the same with the Space Wolves release where they brought out a box called Space Wolves Hounds Of Morkai. This was just a 5 man sprue of reivers with an upgrade sprue added. It's a bit of a lazy way of adding 'new' chapter specific units.

As others have said, this box isn't very cost effective which I'm a little surprised about when you compare to the original Primaris chapter specific unit bundles.

I also question regular intercessors over assault intercessors? Hello McFly!?!?

On foot, bolter variants are the most efficient weapon to field them with - you'll likely get 2 turns of shooting out of them before they get embedded in combat which is 6 shots with assault bolters, compared to the 6 attacks a chainsword will get you if you can keep them in combat in both player turns from T3 onwards. 

While DC cannot perform actions, they can still get you points for linebreaker/engage/mission specials, so you might want to keep them still sometimes to win/imagine they're standing over Horus's Corpse. 

On foot, bolter variants are the most efficient weapon to field them with - you'll likely get 2 turns of shooting out of them before they get embedded in combat which is 6 shots with assault bolters, compared to the 6 attacks a chainsword will get you if you can keep them in combat in both player turns from T3 onwards. 

While DC cannot perform actions, they can still get you points for linebreaker/engage/mission specials, so you might want to keep them still sometimes to win/imagine they're standing over Horus's Corpse.

While that may sound good in theory, being painted black with red crosses means that a footslogging infantry unit gets deleted from existence before it can even reach the intended target. In my experience at least...DC Ints really need advance and charge to be good.

I have the prices (at least in USD. This is from the owner of my FLGS, posted this morning:
126819373_3471445176273109_6588624001830

It's 45 USD for the 5-man. Which is.... Technically less than the OG "Primaris Intercessor Combat Squad" box (35 USD) and Blood Angels upgrades (15 USD at the time)

While that may sound good in theory, being painted black with red crosses means that a footslogging infantry unit gets deleted from existence before it can even reach the intended target. In my experience at least...DC Ints really need advance and charge to be good.

Snorri is right. Whenever my friend and I have some hot & heavy Angel on Angel action (Blood V Dark) his Death Company (no jump packs) never reach my dudes because I know exactly what will happen otherwise.

Footslogging Death Company is cheaper, but much, much morel likely to die (as in, 95% more likely :lol:)

Edited by Gederas

Hate to ask, but are you using enough terrain *ducks*. 

If that's the case, then you can spend a cp to keep them off-board, then make sure you get an Icon character near them when they arrive. With move, advance, move, charge, you can get a target 14+3D6" (average 25") away from your starting position by the T2 assault phase, which should be more than enough if your opponent is playing the objective game. If they aren't then you've likely already won.

Edited by Xenith

If that's the case, then you can spend a cp to keep them off-board, then make sure you get an Icon character near them when they arrive. With move, advance, move, charge, you can get a target 14+3D6" (average 25") away from your starting position by the T2 assault phase, which should be more than enough if your opponent is playing the objective game. If they aren't then you've likely already won.

We do! But I usually play against armies that can delete a unit if they desire to do so. :D

Keeping them in strategic reserves would mean they have just the 2D6+1” from within 6” of the board edge though, earliest on turn 2 and they count as moved. So it’s either charge on turn 4 or advance on turn 3, not both. :(

We do! But I usually play against armies that can delete a unit if they desire to do so. :biggrin.:

Keeping them in strategic reserves would mean they have just the 2D6+1” from within 6” of the board edge though, earliest on turn 2 and they count as moved. So it’s either charge on turn 4 or advance on turn 3, not both. :sad.:

Yea, realised that keeping them in strat reserves negates any benefit from the boltguns, so go BP+CS. :facepalm: