New BA Successor Fluff

Dumah

Gathered through painstaking study of supplement preview videos, I give you the following excerpts which describe never-before seen Blood Angel Successors. Curiously, most are revealed to have existed prior to the Ultima Founding, and so will be comprised of a mixture of Firstborn and Primaris. Enjoy!

Blood Scythes: 

An Ultima Founding Chapter, the Blood Scythes first campaigns have been in the Red Scar, having been united with their brother Chapters after Roboute Guilliman brought the Primaris Space Marines to Baal. They have swiftly embraced the Blood Angels’ traditions and have rapidly earned a name for themselves as warriors of honour, upholding Sanguinius’ codes with the zeal of the newly converted.

Atlantian Spears:

The Atlantian Spears ignored Dante’s call for aid. The Chapter’s large Librarius received the message, but took no action. For millennia, the Chapter have fought to pacify the Enclave of Alkina and the Sanctuary of Konstantyah in the Segmentum Tempestus, relying on the gift of foresight present in an unusual number of their Librarians to respond to the innumerable xenos and heretic threats that terrorize the vast regions.

Cruor Blades:

A loyal member of the Sanguinary Brotherhood, the Cruor Blades have been overwhelmed with guilt over their failure to reach Baal before it came under siege. Now on a self-imposed crusade of penitence, their fleets sweep the Red Scar to purge it of the Tyranids and plunge into the hell of the Imperium Nihilus. They are determined to restore the light of the Imperium and to spread word of Dante’s appointment to Regent.

Blood Dragons:

The Blood Dragons name is one feared rather than celebrated by many Imperial worlds. The silhouettes of their many gunships are not a sign of the Emperor’s deliverance, but of imminent doom, for the Blood Dragons care little for the citizens of the Imperium. Instead, they desire nothing less than the total extermination of the Emperor’s foes, believing that he will save the souls of the innocent and destroy those of the guilty.

Sable Knights:

The ebon painted onto much of the Sable Knights’ armour represents their acknowledgment that the Flaw resides in them all. Determined to make the most of their time before the Black Rage consumes them, the Chapter is fleet-based, racing from war to war. In battle, their warriors favour armoured spearheads and fleets of transports, so as best to engage the enemy as quickly and furiously as possible.

Atlantian Spears:

The Atlantian Spears ignored Dante’s call for aid. The Chapter’s large Librarius received the message, but took no action. For millennia, the Chapter have fought to pacify the Enclave of Alkina and the Sanctuary of Konstantyah in the Segmentum Tempestus, relying on the gift of foresight present in an unusual number of their Librarians to respond to the innumerable xenos and heretic threats that terrorize the vast regions.

So... it's treason then.

Atlantian Spears:

So... it's treason then.

Wipe them out... all of them...

Edited by Arkangilos

The Sable knights make me so mad.

It's 99% my homebrew scheme and the Atlantians have my foresight gimmick. Doh!

Love the unusual schemes though. Blood Scythes especially look awesome.

bruh i feel your pain the atlantian spears feel like they were basically stolen from me, and had the color scheme changed lol.

Why the need?

They should expand on the successor chapters that have existed (except for the Flesh Tearers).

i think they try to keep successor lore fairly light to allow us to bend them a little bit to our pleasure, so what kind of expansion in fluff would you like to see?

I’ve seen the Atlantian Spears model (so, blue Blood Angels, basically?), and the Sable Knights are obviously black, but are there pictures of any of the other new chapters too?

chapter master valrak has all of them in his video on youtube.

Thanks for putting this in one location! I was also looking at a bunch of videos to see all the new stuff and was struggling to read it all.

I’m happy they’re acknowledged the Lamenters - they’re were skipped out on in the old codex.It’s nice to see the Flesh Eaters make a come back as well. I wonder why they didn’t put the Knights of the Blood in though.

I also applaud the fact that they are creating new and interesting looking chapters. I do have some gripes about the Atlantean Spears - their look and chapter badge look very similar to the Emperor’s Spears. I even tweeted at ADB and he seemed surprised to see them exist as well. At least from what I can infer from his reply. I don’t want to assume or speak for him.

knights of blood were completely destroyed, that's probably why they didn't put them in.

Why the need?

They should expand on the successor chapters that have existed (except for the Flesh Tearers).

i think they try to keep successor lore fairly light to allow us to bend them a little bit to our pleasure, so what kind of expansion in fluff would you like to see?

I’ve seen the Atlantian Spears model (so, blue Blood Angels, basically?), and the Sable Knights are obviously black, but are there pictures of any of the other new chapters too?

Thanks for putting this in one location! I was also looking at a bunch of videos to see all the new stuff and was struggling to read it all.

I’m happy they’re acknowledged the Lamenters - they’re were skipped out on in the old codex.It’s nice to see the Flesh Eaters make a come back as well. I wonder why they didn’t put the Knights of the Blood in though.

I also applaud the fact that they are creating new and interesting looking chapters. I do have some gripes about the Atlantean Spears - their look and chapter badge look very similar to the Emperor’s Spears. I even tweeted at ADB and he seemed surprised to see them exist as well. At least from what I can infer from his reply. I don’t want to assume or speak for him.

knights of blood were completely destroyed, that's probably why they didn't put them in.

The actual reason would be that they were excommunicated by the Hogh Lords of Terra and therefore declared enemies of the Imperium.

But yeah, just take the Cruor Blades, they look identical...

I find the Blood Dragons a bit...cringey. Kill everyone, let the Emperor sort them out? Sounds a bit too khorne-y.

Why the need?

The actual reason would be that they were excommunicated by the Hogh Lords of Terra and therefore declared enemies of the Imperium.

I find the Blood Dragons a bit...cringey. Kill everyone, let the Emperor sort them out? Sounds a bit too khorne-y.

some would say the red thirst in general is kinda khorne-y...after all khorne does covet all of the sons of sanguinius....so not that off. seems like a logical example of what sons of sanguinius would be like if  they believed the emperor was indeed a god.

*snip*

some would say the red thirst in general is kinda khorne-y...after all khorne does covet all of the sons of sanguinius....so not that off. seems like a logical example of what sons of sanguinius would be like if  they believed the emperor was indeed a god.

Wel, because it’s shedding blood, but as the novels tell us, there’s a big difference in the origin of that desire to do so. One is pure and stems from the genesire Sanguinius (and the Emperor who put it there), the other from nails in the brain and the Bloodgod.

Also, believing that the Emperor is a god is a no-go for Blood Angels, who have stood at the side of the Emperor during the Great Crusade and at the darkest hour during the Heresy. It’s more befitting for the Berserkers of Dorn.

@Snorri - While they were destroyed at Baal (in a glorious manner), I do believe they’ve come back. They’re displayed on the current chapters of the Adeptus Astartes poster.

Older thread for reference: www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/352958-primaris-knights-of-blood/

That would be interesting, as G-Man himself would have to undeclare them from being excommunicated. I mean, he probably could. As far as I know, he’s not on best terms with the High Lords...

Thanks for putting it all together here, Dumah!

Atlantian Spears:

Sounds like Eldar....

I like that some of these successors have created a niche for different styles of warfare the parent chapter isn't typically known for: armoured spearheads for the Sable Knights and swarms of gunships for the Blood Dragons.

The Blood Scythes have a great color scheme but I find their fluff a little too generic for my tastes. I do like the Spears' non-traditional color palette; not a drop (pun intended) of red, white or black in sight! Makes me wonder what their Death Company looks like...

*snip*

some would say the red thirst in general is kinda khorne-y...after all khorne does covet all of the sons of sanguinius....so not that off. seems like a logical example of what sons of sanguinius would be like if they believed the emperor was indeed a god.
Wel, because it’s shedding blood, but as the novels tell us, there’s a big difference in the origin of that desire to do so. One is pure and stems from the genesire Sanguinius (and the Emperor who put it there), the other from nails in the brain and the Bloodgod.

Also, believing that the Emperor is a god is a no-go for Blood Angels, who have stood at the side of the Emperor during the Great Crusade and at the darkest hour during the Heresy. It’s more befitting for the Berserkers of Dorn.

I mean, I don’t know about that. Plenty of people stood with the emperor and still ended up worshipping him, and this is 10,000 years after that.

Great to see some more successors, and in different colours - this really brings us closer to other Primogenitors whose successors are like Skittles (the sweet), while BA successors have mostly been red, black, and gold. 

Blood Scythes: Cool scheme, getting a mortifactors vibe, despite the lack of black.

Atlantean Spears: A more divergent chapter from the BA Legion. Chapter colour (teal) is literally the opposite from BA crimson. I wonder how the BA feel about this Chapter taking on the colours of the Sons of Horus?

Cruor Blades: Knights of Blood 2: Electric Boogaloo? Maybe to distinguish from the Chaos warband of the same name. Maybe they changed their name, who knows. 

Blood Dragons: Awesome fluff, kind of like a Blood Angels version of Marines Malevolent...though very divergent from the nature of the sons of Sanguinius, who uphold the virtue of the imperial citizen. A very un-noble angel.

Sable Knights: Nice scheme, basically an inverse Flesh Tearer. The black, white and red will look great on-table.

Great additionals all in all, however I'd have liked to see something a bit more edgy than just red chapters whose major divergance is that they just stick the squad icon on the right knee pad rather than the left. 

Edited by Xenith

On my opinion, while the addition of new Successors to the Blood Angels can be welcomed, i believe that it would have been better to aknowledge the already known/hinted color scheme of other Blood Angels Chapter, which are cited numerous times in fluff, such as :

- Red Seraph (Citation from the short story Tradition's Last Breath, from White Dwarf) :

"The first brother wears ceramite armour of royal red draped elegantly with a cloth loros tailored by slaves, the linen dyed the shade of precious ivory. The ceramite protecting his pale flesh is marked with oblique runes and decorated with talismans of faith and fury. Here, a vial of cloned blood hangs chained to his wrist, clanking softly with his gestures. There, bound to his breastplate, is a winged symbol of his ancestral Legion, forged by artisans from grotesquely rare Terran marble. He is beautiful the way a noble lie is beautiful, the way statues of the Emperor’s Angels of Death show divinity without flaw. Even his scars are threaded with tiny jewels, giving him a face repaired by ostentation where it would otherwise be marred by war.

This is Ynoch. The symbol on his pauldron declares his Chapter with naked pride: the winged figure clasping a chalice in its gauntlets proclaiming this immortal to be a lord of the Red Seraphs."

- Angels Numinous (Citation from the short story Tradition's Last Breath, from White Dwarf) :

"The second brother wears armour of scratched bronze. He had to fight to get here and it shows in a hundred ways, some visible to mortal eyes, others detectable only by immortal senses. The chainsword at his hip has thrown several teeth in previous battles, giving the blade a beggar’s leer. He seeks to hide his weariness from his brothers, though they can hear the dull thunder of his heart, the calm rhythm yet betraying his recent exertions, just as they can smell the scent of the battle-sweat that dried hours ago on his dark skin. Verdigris shows in the joints of his ceramite, speaking of a long war fought far from the foundries of his home world and the forges aboard his flagship. The Unspoken Need – also called the Craving, the Red Thirst, the Bitter Hunger – shows in his fanged smile, another sign of exhaustion getting the better of him.

This is Jagudir. On his shoulder, stark in its funereal majesty, is a pale skull crowned by a bladed halo: the sigil of the Angels Numinous."

- Charnel Guard (Citation from the short story Tradition's Last Breath, from White Dwarf) :

"The third and final brother wears armour fashioned to mimic the polished black of volcanic glass. This immortal, clad in obsidian edged with deep-vein red, shows no emotion at all. His skin is the grey of the grave-born. His breath taints the air with the smell of old gore, of meat that was rotten even before it was devoured. His skin stinks of a stasis-crypt. His long cloak reeks of sepulchral dust. He could be a statue but for the slow drift of his gaze; eyes the white of clean mist miss no movement in the ruined chamber.

This is Mordath. His pauldron displays the ornate, stylised cross of the Charnel Guard."

- Golden Sons (Citation from the Novel Devastation of Baal) :

"A warrior in black and gold stood from his chair. A swift-moving servo-skull went to hover over his head, bathing him in a soft lumen glow.

‘Captain Cantar of the Golden Sons,’ it said. ‘Keeper of the Wheel, Slayer of Danrane of the Fifteenth Path, Bloodlord of Kathoi, Exterminator of the Skaal.’

Cantar let the herald skull say its piece. In the light the skin of his bare head was a deep, nut brown of lustrous hue, and his hair was tightly plaited and gathered into a short braid at the back. Golden tattoos glimmered in the light."

- Angels Excelsis (Citation from the Novel Devastation of Baal) :

"...The last time I looked, you wore the winged axe of the Angels Excelsis upon your pauldron and not the blood drip of Baal..."

"Gas sighed as the cables detached themselves from the rear of Erwin’s armour. He stood with difficulty, the armour briefly dead on him with neither power pack nor ship to provide energy to its systems. His backpack descended from the ceiling above, the stabilisation nozzles delicately grasped by long-nosed grips. Like the ceramite of his arms and legs, it was a marbled white, setting off the deep crimson of his torso plate. His golden helm followed on a telescopic arm." (Golden Helm because the character is a Captain.)

And that make it five.^^

For some reason, I want to imagine the Atlantian Spears follow the BA unit markings, with red/yellow/blue/gold helmets throughout (meaning the examples we’ve seen would be vets). Teal goes well with these colours (although I might change the blue for black), but I’m not a fan of the lore that says they didn’t cone to Baal’s aid... Gotta try to come up with a good justification for that decision