New BA Successor Fluff

Dumah

For some reason, I want to imagine the Atlantian Spears follow the BA unit markings, with red/yellow/blue/gold helmets throughout (meaning the examples we’ve seen would be vets). Teal goes well with these colours (although I might change the blue for black), but I’m not a fan of the lore that says they didn’t cone to Baal’s aid... Gotta try to come up with a good justification for that decision

I would say that the "innumerable xenos and heretic threats that terrorize the vast regions" that they are responsible for is a passable excuse for not dropping everything and running halfway across the galaxy. It's also possible that their Librarians, who are known to be gifted with foresight, saw the outcome and knew they would prevail without them.

For some reason, I want to imagine the Atlantian Spears follow the BA unit markings, with red/yellow/blue/gold helmets throughout (meaning the examples we’ve seen would be vets). Teal goes well with these colours (although I might change the blue for black), but I’m not a fan of the lore that says they didn’t cone to Baal’s aid... Gotta try to come up with a good justification for that decision

honestly the idea that all successor chapters would drop everything and go to baal's aid just seems a bit too contrived, and 'perfect' imho, so i don't mind that there are official canon chapters who didn't go...after all, each chapter has their own traditions, culture, etc. not all necessarily super close to the BA themselves.

honestly the idea that all successor chapters would drop everything and go to baal's aid just seems a bit too contrived, and 'perfect' imho, so i don't mind that there are official canon chapters who didn't go...after all, each chapter has their own traditions, culture, etc. not all necessarily super close to the BA themselves.

Well it isn’t just because BA are their founders or even a first founding chapter, but they literally have the body of Sanguinius which has its own implications.

For me it's not an expectation they drop everything and come as a chapter, the way it's stated to be 'ignored', not 'debated' or 'anguished over their pre-existing commitments' just makes them sound like jerks.

If it was written as 'the Librarians explored the fates if they sent one of their stretched taskforces to Baal's aid, but finding no path not leading to disaster committed themselves to their campaigns with a deeper rage' then it'd be a prime Blood Angel example of sacrificing their own glory for what must be done.

Actually the lore for the blood angels and their successors has always been that there aren't all that many blood angels successors and they're all close, the flaw and the search for a cure provides strong bonds, it's why it's called the brotherhood of blood. They share a fate in a way that other chapters and their successors simply don't. On top of that, the fact Sanguinius' body is on Baal is reason enough to go there as there is again a special significance to it even more so than other primarchs and their chapters due to the deep deep link he shared with all of his sons. 

Plus you have characters like Astorath who are noted for travelling between all the successors to perform their duties.

They may have different cultures,but it doesn't matter what world or culture they're from, they all have both curses.

Actually the lore for the blood angels and their successors has always been that there aren't all that many blood angels successors and they're all close, 

The Angels Vermilion are portrayed as very not close to the rest of them (though they did come). The Lamenters, I believe, were also specifically called out as having not come. And like the Atlantian Spears they have very diverged colours. 

My Blood Dragons are nothing like GW's Blood Dragons. Though my Head Canon has space for two chapters with the same name (due to 'lost in the warp' shenanigans), I will have to revise my story to have mine strictly refer to themselves as the "Sangaj Drakoj" (Blood dragons in their native esperanto).

Change in tense on the Flesh Eaters part - gone from 'fatually undone by their geneseed" to "nearly fatally undone..." and then reinforced with a few hundred Primaris. 

Great to see an abundance of new Chapters, though we've definitely left the setting I was familiar with in 3rd ed. 

Pretty much, though its only a few details that differ.

The nitty gritty is still there in spades!

Actually the lore for the blood angels and their successors has always been that there aren't all that many blood angels successors and they're all close, the flaw and the search for a cure provides strong bonds, it's why it's called the brotherhood of blood. They share a fate in a way that other chapters and their successors simply don't. On top of that, the fact Sanguinius' body is on Baal is reason enough to go there as there is again a special significance to it even more so than other primarchs and their chapters due to the deep deep link he shared with all of his sons.

Plus you have characters like Astorath who are noted for travelling between all the successors to perform their duties.

They may have different cultures,but it doesn't matter what world or culture they're from, they all have both curses.

I didn't actually know sanguinious was on Baal, that's pretty cool

I believe that's fluff from James Swallow books, which has largely been retconned or outright ignored, along with a lot of his other BL works. 

None of Guy Haley's work into definining the culture of the BA and the structure of their Fortress Monastery has ever suggested that Sanguinius's body is there. 

I believe that's fluff from James Swallow books, which has largely been retconned or outright ignored, along with a lot of his other BL works.

None of Guy Haley's work into definining the culture of the BA and the structure of their Fortress Monastery has ever suggested that Sanguinius's body is there.

Are you positive? It’s been a while but I thought it said it was.

There definitely is no mention of Sanguinius' body being on Baal in the Devastation of Baal novel. And I would expect that to be quite an important feature. Instead there was talk that one of the most precious places was the hall of the sarcophagi, because of the presence of maturing neophytes. If there was a Sanguinius' sarcophagus somewhere, it would most certainly be more important for the defenders. 

I believe there was a short story about Corbulo referring to him hearing a heart beat coming from Sangunius' tomb. By no means do I have an expansive knowledge of stories but I think this inferred that his grave resided on Baal. I don't remember DoB addressing this directly so it's up in the air if that previous writing is true lore or just a device to tell a story.

Edit: Pulled this from the 40k fandom page which I think came from the book Red Fury??

In the aftermath of this desecration, Bile had achieved his goal and escaped from the Blood Angels' homeworld with a sample of the precious vitae of their Primarch. The Blood Angels and their Successors successfully defended their most sacred of sites on Baal -- the Golden Sarcophagus of Sanguinius within the sacred sepulchre where the Great Angel lay for all time, sleeping in light, forever preserved.

Edited by Spagunk

I believe there was a short story about Corbulo referring to him hearing a heart beat coming from Sangunius' tomb. By no means do I have an expansive knowledge of stories but I think this inferred that his grave resided on Baal. I don't remember DoB addressing this directly so it's up in the air if that previous writing is true lore or just a device to tell a story.

Edit: Pulled this from the 40k fandom page which I think came from the book Red Fury??

In the aftermath of this desecration, Bile had achieved his goal and escaped from the Blood Angels' homeworld with a sample of the precious vitae of their Primarch. The Blood Angels and their Successors successfully defended their most sacred of sites on Baal -- the Golden Sarcophagus of Sanguinius within the sacred sepulchre where the Great Angel lay for all time, sleeping in light, forever preserved.

I'd have to re-read the old codexes it I think one of the old ones mentioned his body being on Baal...if not on Baal where would it be?

Considering the successors, how is it possible that the Greyshields enrolled into Flesh Tearers after the defence of Baal display traits characteristic for FT? Didn't Cawl use the "original" BA material creating Primaris of Sanguinius bloodline?

As a side note: ofcourse encarmine glaives are made of "angelsteel". Com'on GW, make some effort.

Considering the successors, how is it possible that the Greyshields enrolled into Flesh Tearers after the defence of Baal display traits characteristic for FT? Didn't Cawl use the "original" BA material creating Primaris of Sanguinius bloodline?

As a side note: ofcourse encarmine glaives are made of "angelsteel". Com'on GW, make some effort.

Seems reasonable after all their jet packs run on angel farts